Pressure

J

JasonC

It’s true that Valley Creek is a highly pressured stream, I would venture to guess simply due to its proximity to a major metropolis. But is the pressure there compared to the pressure found at say, the Letort or Penns about the same relatively?

No. In terms of angler hours per square foot of water, I’d guess Valley Creek is the most heavily fished Trout stream in PA. Penns is much larger so it’s not an equitable comparison...It can handle and spread out anglers far better. Valley and Letort are more directly comparable, but Valley is fished far more heavily.

Exactly the info I was looking for, many thanks! Anyone else think that is true, Valley is the most pressured trout stream in the state? Do you think it’s due mainly to being so close to an enormous population?

Jason, it definitely is one of the most pressured trout streams here in PA. Every time I have ever been there - early morning, weekdays, etc., I have always run into other anglers. I live 15 minutes away from it...and rarely fish it. I'd rather drive an hour and a half into the Poconos and fish streams that I rarely see other anglers on.

FYI there are numerous threads here on Valley and how pressured its been, and some of the incidents/spills that have occurred there as well.

Thanks Brad, I’ve checked out some previous threads and know about the spills. It’s a shame that as a whole, humans aren’t more mindful of the environment and the damage we’re doing. But in the same breath, Valley is a very resilient stream and seems to keep getting up rather quickly after being knocked down.
I have 2 little girls at home, both under 3 still so being more than hour away during a weekday isn’t what I’d prefer right now in case I need to get home quickly. Valley is the closest limestone to me, under 30 mins away. I’d also take a look at Broad Run (unsure if it’s a limestone or limestone-influenced) if there was enough public access although that’s almost an hour from me but feels much closer.

Being local to the Letort, I can't imagine it sees anywhere near the pressure of Valley. Been out there countless times where I've never seen another angler, of course, this also depends on which beat I'm fishing. I'd probably compare the pressure on Big Spring as being similar to if not greater than what Valley sees, it's rare that there isn't a car or two parked at at least one of the parking areas.

Regarding heaviest pressure, I've heard that the Breeches ranks right up there at the top, lots of angler traffic on that stream all along its length year 'round.

I fish valley a few times a year. It's the high water mark of pressure. Your not getting your two Miles of stream to yourself at Valley ever. I prefer winter fishing Valley during the week when it's still possible to not see another angler. I usually go there after I put my boat away and I'm waiting for safe ice. It is a freaking gem though. If Valley were located in the center of the state it would be considered a must fish stream. How those brown trout thrive in there is beyond me.

JasonC wrote:
Do you think it’s due mainly to being so close to an enormous population?

Yes. It's the closest and most well known wild Trout fishery to Philadelphia. And it has good public access. Location, location, location...pretty simple.

It's a good stream, and clearly unique, for where it is. Put it in Centre County or Potter or Tioga, for example, and it wouldn't get nearly the pressure or attention there. Less people, and many other options as good as, or better than Valley.

It might get pressure/attention in Potter, given the lack of spring creeks in that region!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
It might get pressure/attention in Potter, given the lack of spring creeks in that region!

Meh - It doesn't really look or act like a spring creek in terms of how it fishes for the most part, but yeah, I get that point.

What I meant is that there are many other creeks Valley's size in that area that fish as good, or better for wild Trout. It would blend in better.

I knew what you meant. I was just being a bit facetious.

Funny story. A while back, maybe 4 or 5 NCPA Summits ago, there was this whole thing on this page about fishing Valley downstream using stoneflies or something, and it was some actual heated debate.

So in our camp log during the Summit, I wrote about "hey, we're gonna go to X stream, or Y stream..." then I wrote, "we're also talking about trying out Valley, we hear it fishes well downstream with stoneflies".

Of course, I'm the only one who would ever read the camp log and actually get that joke!

I probably bailed on that trip, haha. ;-)

Spring Creek is one of the most heavily fished streams in PA.

troutbert wrote:
Spring Creek is one of the most heavily fished streams in PA.

^ I agree with TB that Spring Creek (State College) is probably the most heavily fished stream in PA. But Spring is a much larger / longer stream and the pressure is more spread out than Valley.

The run has them all beat when you consider length, width, pressure density vs population of fish

I fish valley pretty frequently - yes it is pressured, yes you see other people fishing - but generally there is always a place to fish. Just gotta poke around. There is also tons of worthy warm water options around Philly.

I fished Valley at the National Park on Saturday, 7/28, started at 530 and I was the only car in the lot. The only people I saw throughout the morning were runners and people walking their dogs. I never saw another fisherman. I also went to Valley Creek Park and again was the only fisherman there besides 3 people playing tennis. I actually had better luck at the Park landing fish but had consistent action at the National Park also. More fish threw the hook there though. Gorgeous water, crystal clear and nice and cold, it felt great to wear just boots and wading pants. Definitely will be on my home water rotation along with Ridley and White Clay.

I am unfamiliar with Valley but definitely the hardest fished stream that I fish on the regular is Spring. I hear people say it is bigger so more water etc but some days there are soamy cars in almost every access point that I just keep driving. Good thing I don't go there too often as I have other waters that I much prefer but when I find myself in State College and I have time to kill there is generally time made for Flyfisher's Paradise and Spring Creek....and sometimes other small high quality trout streams.

I have so much jealousy for those of you who live within a short distance of the central limestone belt, not to mention all the game land freestoners that fish just as well. If only I could convince my wife to move, one can dream...

Back