Presque Isle Bay Largemouth Bass

S

Sylvaneous

Going to Erie for a Dr.'s appointment. How/What/Where should I go in P.I.B. for LMB (largemouth bass)
THX (thanks)

Syl

I think you can rent a canoe at the monument and fish the lagoons/misery bay, or you can wade the flats on the bay side (the park office has a great, free, chart of the bay), especially at the head of the bay. Misery bay and Thompson are both wade able too, but I haven't done it this time of year. The rec traffic in the main bay may make for better results in the lagoon.
I like deceivers, sea ducers and other big, neutrally bouyant baitfish patterns, I am sure there are some folks on here that are much more experienced up there than I
Good luck

I'll have a fishing kayak with me. What am I looking for? Weed beds? Edges? baitfish? sight fishing? Are carp an option?

Years ago, when I was more familiar, i was told the bass leave the long tangle of lagoon channels in the summer. Is that so?

Thanks again.

Syl

I sent you a quick PM yesterday morning... If you are working out of a kayak, that makes things a little easier than if you are wading.

Basically, you are looking for all the types of habitat/conditions you mentioned. There are lots of conventional weed weds in places like Misery Bay, etc. Further west, towards mid-bay (on the north side) there are large reed beds here and there that also hold fish. And wherever you are bass fishing, you're always watching for bass shagging minnows, etc. You know that...

As I sort of said in the PM, I think the most important thing is to find suitable habitat in a part of the bay that is sufficiently open and gets decent wave action to enhance oxygen levels and does not completely choke up with weeds. This means the farther into the summer you get, the more you should avoid the lagoons and the westernmost section of the bay. The bass will seldom be there much after mid-June. On the other hand, this is where the carp will probably be..

Back