Presentation to spooky browns

paparise

paparise

I've always read that an up stream penetration is best most of the time but I'm spooking fish when it's low and clear. I'm finding that an across stream presentation works better and I was wondering if anyone had any advce.

I'm usually fishing small dries on an 8' leader w/ 7x tippet.

in clear flat water or little riffles I do best with a down stream presentation.......with an accurate reach cast the only issue is setting the hook but if figure if I'm going to spook them any other way at least the downstream presentatino gives me a chance

Longer leader is definitely a must for spooky (leader shy likely) fish. Also fish from above in situations where fish are fished over and become leader shy. Just remember to wait a second before lifting your rod to set the hook.

pap - do you think line slap is part of the problem? I like to use 12' leaders or longer on general principles, but if I think the landing of the line is problematical, I move my aim point higher above the water and use a stop cast.

Being a gearfreak, I tend to use dull colored lines in canopied streams. Also picky trouts is why I've picked up dozens of lighter lined sticks.

tl
les

Try Pline Japanese fluorcarbon, experiment with all their lines. Most are 10 bucks for 300 yards, but they do make a hydrofloat that I always wanted to try. It was a bit more pricey. Anyway, try 10, 6, 4lb constructions, with 12-16ft leaders. The problem is usually line slap anywhere near them. If they don't eat gnats and ants with long leaders, then either they see you, are shutting down from slap, or they aren't going to eat. My .02.

Except maybe steelheading, I still don't believe I've ever met a leader or tippet shy fish. Ever.

Drag shy? Yep. Spooked by line slap? Yep. Spray from false casts? Yep.

Adjust the leader and the cast to best handle the drag. Going both longer and finer on the tippet helps, I usually try longer first. I almost never go all the way down to 7x. Use the most subtle and high floating tippet you can find, usually that's a copolymer, not a fluoro. Cast far enough upstream of the fish that the line slap ain't spooking him. When false casting, aim away from the fish as to not spray him.

But yeah, there are some situations where it's just real tough. Can't get close enough to control drag enough without spooking them. In those cases, go elsewhere and return when the water is higher or has some color to it.

Line slap is most likely my problem. Thanks.

paparise wrote:
I've always read that an up stream penetration is best most of the time but I'm spooking fish when it's low and clear. I'm finding that an across stream presentation works better and I was wondering if anyone had any advce.

I'm usually fishing small dries on an 8' leader w/ 7x tippet.

I really depends on the water, the fish and the situation, but yes, an across or downstream presentation for dries may be best at times since the fly and leader lands well above the fish, and the fish see the fly before the leader. Almost without exception, though, getting a good drift is the key.

If you are talking about dries, I heard that if you're trying not to spook the fish, use around 7in of very small (7x sounds good) tippet from the end of the leader so that the fish can only see the fly and the tippet. Then you need to straighten the leader so that the line doesn't curl up next to the fly. according to another fly fisherman who told me about this, the fish can see the curled up leader and with just turn around. Also, attach the leader to the fly line using a perfectionist knot. Other then that, I stand downstream and cast upstream, and I've had a couple takes but setting the hook is frustrating.

Hoped this helped :)

I use an across cast all the time. When wading will spook the fish, I cast across from the shore. Just remember, when fishing across, drag sets in quick, so cast accuratley and learn to mend.

Pcray1231..... spot on ditto

Across, down, up however you like... there is no one way to catch trout. On some small streams the only way to get your offering to fish is by casting down stream or across. Once I drift the offering in a feeding lie I raise my rod tip slightly and lower it slowly watching for my line to tighten or move slightly. You will know when you get a strike because you will either feel it or your line will straighten out a bit.

saw a video at the Valley Forge show from an Upper D guide where he casted well above a fish and the fish was fine until part of his leader (not the line) floated above him...the fish slowly turned to deeper water.....something to think about on highly fished streams....try not to line them with the leader as well...get a decent angle on them and youd rather shoot it a little short than long...

confidence, confidence, confidence.
keep plugging away with a longer/lighter tippet and each year your numbers of fish in hand will increase. don't go back there with your head down...keep it up and you will bring em in.

mutz.............are you from Perry County? Perry County Confidence................yep he's right.

Try landing the fly right in front of its nose I mean almost on its nose. Some times they will take it right as is lands.

Phil, I think I know where you fish most of the time and I have the same problems when I bring my rod down too far on the forward cast on said stream. Try to not come down any lower than 11 o'clock and don't bring your rod down to the water until the fly has gently fallen to the surface. Also, use a longer leader, I think I saw someone wrote about a 12' leader down to 6X, perfect for our streams and conditions. I won't say anything specific because I got in trouble the last time but in one particular pool, I may go lower than 6X. ;-)

I'm getting much better on this stream and as a whole. My problem was mostly in low, clear, slow moving water. There's only so much you can do in that situation and I'm doing it all. Now I'm learning not to linger too long in those locations and to move onto water that isn't so glassy. My success rate has increased as a result.

Back