Presentation How-to's

Baron

Baron

Many of the lakes I visit are heavily clogged by mid-summer. The areas open are 6' deep in winter but the Miriaphylum, in summer, takes up the bottom 4' leaving only 1-2' to fish. When casting the stripping back needs to begin immediately or you're hung up. Are you using Beadheads? should I avoid beadheads?
If fishing Nymphs in still water is it okay to hang nymphs bobber style, from an indicator, among the weed lines or must I keep twitching it. Im a little confused about nymphs and still water environments.

Baron wrote:
Many of the lakes I visit are heavily clogged by mid-summer. The areas open are 6' deep in winter but the Miriaphylum, in summer, takes up the bottom 4' leaving only 1-2' to fish. When casting the stripping back needs to begin immediately or you're hung up. Are you using Beadheads? should I avoid beadheads?
If fishing Nymphs in still water is it okay to hang nymphs bobber style, from an indicator, among the weed lines or must I keep twitching it. Im a little confused about nymphs and still water environments.

Refresh my memory, Baron, are you fishing from the shore or from a boat?
We usually fish Shohola with a boat. If I fish it from shore it's usually at either boat ramp. Generally, I don't fish nymphs in lakes, unless there's the possibility of trout being in them.
There's no reason not to fish them, but I'm a top water junkie. Given the scenario you're describing, I wouldn't fish it under a strike indicator.
I would tie the nymph as a dropper under a top water fly. Dropper rig would be 12-18 inches of fluorocarbon or mono. 10 lb test would be fine. Tie the dropper on the bend of the hook. I wouldn't let it sit to long and twitch it. Just start a steady retrieve that will keep
the nymph moving over the top of the weeds. If you're still picking up weeds then shorten the length of the dropper. It's a good way to catch two fish at once.

Jerry your method is genius, thanks. I fish from a little drift boat. Its just big enough to stand up in now and then. No motor.....just oars. The dropper idea is a great idea. I don't know that I won't become a top-water junkie as well but for now I have to feel my way into things.

Only a year ago I only fished with live worms and an occasional rapala.

Last Saturday I was catching allot of perch and bluegill on larger nymphs similar to BH Pheasant Tails.....probably #10 or so and I don't remember what they were called when I bought them. The point is they were pretty hot and I could see them working well as a non-BH in Pads.
I'll stick with your recommendations.

Back