Prescription fishing glasses

N

NRD

Tomorrow I see the optometrist to order some new glasses. Priority number 1 is a polarized set so I can see more fish.
Maybe someday, I'll get a second set to cover a wider range of conditions, but for now, I think somewhere in the yellow to copper range will be my best compromise, probably yellow.

I welcome any recommendations on colors or any particular features I won't notice until its too late. Thanks !

My Rx sunglasses have a brown/copper lens. I think the most important thing is to get polarized lenses in any color.

On my last eye Dr visit I wanted 3 things in a new set of “fishing glasses” beyond my distance prescription. (1) magnifying inserts to tie flies on, (2) polarization to see things in the water, and (3) transitions tinting so I could have protection in the sun, but have it go away at dusk so I could see and fish until dark. I was told I could have 2 of 3 items. I took 1 and 3 because I felt those items would keep me fishing efficiently from dawn to dusk. I would have gone for polarization except I really have struggled at dusk seeing the flies and tying on a new one.

I’d go for brown/copper if I could have.

Not so sure yellow or any in that spectrum is a good idea for fishing. I think yellow is for low light conditions and a poor choice for bright sun. I use the ray ban green smoke or smoked green. Polarized and shatterproof are a must for me. I got a wrap around style one time and found them to be to hot and heavy. I just use a standard wayfarer style nowadays.

You can do a search about sunglasses on www.troutbitten.com about sunglasses. He makes an interesting case for the yellow glass lenses on overcast days.

Last year (my first as a fly fisherman) most of my fishing was before 10 AM. Between the early hours, overcast days, and deep woods streams, I rarely (20%?) saw sunlight on the water. Hence, yellow.

This year, we plan to chase the hatches. I'll be retired, fishing different hours and maybe wanting darker lenses. I'm thinking, if yellow doesn't cut it, then I'll add a copper set later.

I buy XL Polarized sunglasses @ Walmart. I get them big enough to go over my Rx glasses and they wrap around so side shields are not an issue. They're cheap and replaceable anywhere in the country. They work for me.

I guess it's all those safety meetings and toolbox talks that convinced me to want side shields on my fishing glasses.

With my "Flail & Cuss" casting method I need all the protection I can get...

Guys who wear standard sunglasses: Do you use side shields?

I've never looked into "real" fishing glasses. Are side shields standard?

NRD: The last time I was @ the opto they told me they could take my old glasses and tint & polarize them.

I didn't take them up on it and don't know if they were pullin' my leg. Might be worth askin', if just for a pair of driving glasses...

I buy XL Polarized sunglasses @ Walmart. I get them big enough to go over my Rx glasses and they wrap around so side shields are not an issue. They're cheap and replaceable anywhere in the country. They work for me.

I guess it's all those safety meetings and toolbox talks that convinced me to want side shields on my fishing glasses.

With my "Flail & Cuss" casting method I need all the protection I can get...

Guys who wear standard sunglasses: Do you use side shields?

I've never looked into "real" fishing glasses. Are side shields standard?

I wear safety glasses all the time and put on my side shield when I do yard work, pistol shooting and fly fishing.

If I forget my flip down magnifiers I'm shot for the day. Pretty much means I forgot a hat and waders too because they all have a pair in case I forget.
As for polarized, I wouldn't fish without them. It's not only fish I wouldn't see but underwater obstacles. I have fallen like most fly fishermen. Not fun. It's a safety thing as much as a catching thing.
Color, I prefer a brownish copper. I like Maui Jim's color which has a slight rose color to it. I have several pairs from Oakley and Smith too. All my favorites have that brown hue to them.

Whatever you get, get a neoprene strap for them. (croakie?)

Strap

Was walking knee deep last year in the ocean when a weird wave came sideways and took me down like a bowling pin. Glasses gone. We looked but nothing. Not five minutes later some lady comes walking up from 10 yards down the beach and asks if we were the ones looking for some glasses. She holds out my glasses with the "brown trout" strap still attached. Said she was out chest deep and they came floating by...not a scratch on them. Was blown away.

BTW, this year I sprung for the RX sunglasses. Got an inexpensive pair Raybans. I like them and they wrap around enough that the side are pretty well closed off. Not overly tinted either so I can wear then longer into the early eve before I have to switch back to my regular glasses. I used the 13 dollar Walmart clip-ons before these. New glasses won't accommodate them.

I wear contacts and non prescription glasses.

But for the glasses crowd, yeah, I agree. Get polarized clip ons or else fitovers. The bottom line is this. Polarization by definition is the elimination of light. Specific orientations of light, but light nonetheless (normal unreflected light is at ALL orientations, so polarization cancels some of that as well). A polarizing filter eliminates about 50% of light. In the sunglasses world, 50% light transmission is a lot, but it's the absolute maximum you can get in a polarized lens.

Clear lenses are not and cannot be polarized. Polarization cannot be "turned off" either.

This means at dawn and dusk you do not want polarized. You want clear lenses, maybe some UV protection. During the day you do. So the only solution is to be able to take them off. You can get regular eyelasses, and clip-on and flip down a polarizer. Or you can get fitovers. Cacoons are excellent.

...or you can carry 2 pairs: regular and polarized. It's a little cumbersome, but not too bad when wearing waders or in a boat.

I tried cocoons. they hurt my ears. I don't like clip-ons.

As I mentioned in a different, similar thread, I have had decent luck with Zenni Optical polarized glasses. The frames are kinda cheap, but they work. For $150, delivered with all bells & whistles, the price is fantastic.

I spent a boatload on some prescription Maui Jim green lens sunglasses. No regrets. i see everything!

I don't like fit overs. Wearing two pair of glasses is not comfortable. And they really fog up in humid/rainy weather.

After reading Fly Swatters post from from a few years back, I bought polarized bi-focals from Zenni that I really liked And at a great price.

I do carry regular and sunglasses.
But with all of the other stuff that I carry, it's really no big deal.
Just gotta be careful to put the pair I'm not wearing in their case, and zipped into the vest

I've been wearing prescription polarized for 30+ years.
I like the aviator type frames for driving. They just look cool.
Lens color is a matter of preference. I like the natural colors you get with gray lenses.
I keep my fishing glasses zipped in my wader pocket. They are a cross training type frame. The rubber ventilated pad helps with air circulation to reduce fogging.
I had the bifocal section increased +1 over my normal script.

Attachments

• 20220225_053854 (Medium).jpg
    20220225_053854 (Medium).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 8
Tomorrow I see the optometrist to order some new glasses. Priority number 1 is a polarized set so I can see more fish.
Maybe someday, I'll get a second set to cover a wider range of conditions, but for now, I think somewhere in the yellow to copper range will be my best compromise, probably yellow.

I welcome any recommendations on colors or any particular features I won't notice until its too late. Thanks !
Save yourself some money, get clear lenses and buy a pair of of Cocoons Polarized Flip-Ups.

The reason I suggest flip-ups rather than a single do-all lens color is in all of my life when fishing streams with a tree canopy, I find that flipping them up in low light situations is preferable to having a second pair with a lens color that passes more light. I have been using flip-ups for fishing for eons.

FWIW - I like amber for fishing.

A second option would be to buy two different colors of Cocoons Polarized Clip-Ons, NOT fit-overs. The clip-ons come in a nice slim hard shell case so it would be easy to safely carry around an amber pair and a yellow pair for example.

Cocoons quality is excellent, they make a variety of sizes, shapes and colors and I can attest their customer service is excellent. I once lost a rubber nose piece on one of my many pairs of their flip-ups, and they couldn't have been happier to send me replacements at no charge

Save yourself some money, get clear lenses and buy a pair of of Cocoons Polarized Flip-Ups.
I did the flip-ups one year but not the Cocoons. If your clear scripts have any type of UV or Anti-Glare coatings, be aware that the rubber coated clips may mar that coating. As for me, it only happened to the left lens and it may as well had been operator error.

Good to know!

I use Cocoons flip-ups on my prescription driving glasses. I have been using them at least 6 years with no issues, although I doubt they have a UV coating because they were originally prescribed for night driving.

I'll have to see if they have an anti glare coating but again, no issues after many years of use.

I wear Rx glasses and as such, prefer to have my polarized lenses with the prescription. A lot of guys have recommended clip-ons or fit over glasses, but I really like the wrap around style to keep the sun out and to remove a lot of glare.

Back