Potter County in March

PAgeologist

PAgeologist

A few of us are making a trip to our camp in Potter County in March to fish for the early season. I know the stocked waters are off limits. We were going to hit the First Fork Delayed Harvest, Kettle Creek Delayed Harvest, Cross Forks Creek and Hammersley Fork. Any other suggestions that can be fished in March? PM me if you dont want to post it on here as well.

gonna be cold and hard fishing then. normal years fishing doesn't start till april mid month, this year it might be later. water is just so cold in march that the fish are still very sluggish. water temps are normally in the high 30's then. Good luck !

March is beautiful in Potter, but the fishing will suck.

The biggest wild browns of my life came during my Mansfield college days in February and March. You'll never see a soul and you'll be amazed at how aggressive they are. I've caught more wild browns over 20" during those two months of the year than any others including the fall spawn. I used to take pics in to the old timers at the West Pike and show them the giant browns in the streams that "ain't stocked no more". HINT: this time of year you will be best off fishing the streams that drain north of 6, and the terrain will be navigable as opposed to the deep, dark hollows of the Susquehannock in the southern part of the county where I've seen 12" of snow well into April. Use large chunky streamers and a rod with backbone, I've gotten into them up to 25" in the right drainages during mid-day. Good luck. PM if you'd like specifics; I'm not sure if I can list names here.

esocidae wrote:
The biggest wild browns of my life came during my Mansfield college days in February and March. You'll never see a soul and you'll be amazed at how aggressive they are. I've caught more wild browns over 20" during those two months of the year than any others including the fall spawn. I used to take pics in to the old timers at the West Pike and show them the giant browns in the streams that "ain't stocked no more". HINT: this time of year you will be best off fishing the streams that drain north of 6, and the terrain will be navigable as opposed to the deep, dark hollows of the Susquehannock in the southern part of the county where I've seen 12" of snow well into April. Use large chunky streamers and a rod with backbone, I've gotten into them up to 25" in the right drainages during mid-day. Good luck. PM if you'd like specifics; I'm not sure if I can list names here.

Sure like to see some of your pics ?

No problem. I have never posted pics here before, but would be glad to. Many of my pics are from the pre-digital era...I remember a friend of mine bought a digital in the early 2000's and it was 0.8 megapixels... we thought that was the bee's knees. First two pics are the same fish, the third is from my work out of Dutch Harbor, Alaska, its a red king crab...thought it would be fun to post.

Attachments

• big brown pa.jpg
    big brown pa.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 5
  • big brown pa 2.jpg
    big brown pa 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 6
  • crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 7
I know the fishing will more likely be tough. We did ok on Kettle last year when we went, especially since a couple of us havent been fly fishing very long. Hopefully the weather will break a little early and we can have a nice weekend. If not, there is always beer in the camp...

Those pictures are a bit small, but the limited background in them really doesn't look like Feb and March in Potter County, nor does the apparel choice of the angler.

Watch the weather, it can be brutal in March in Potter. Then again it could get warm like 2 years ago when it was 72 and I was wet wading in 52 degree water.

Chaz - I am all too aware of what can happen up there. Ive been turkey hunting in snow over my knees, snow for trout season, major flooding in deer season, and trout seasons in the 70's. Basically, its a complete crap shoot just about any time of the year.

PAgeologist wrote:
Chaz - I am all too aware of what can happen up there. Ive been turkey hunting in snow over my knees, snow for trout season, major flooding in deer season, and trout seasons in the 70's. Basically, its a complete crap shoot just about any time of the year.

What year was the snow over your knees...just got to ask?

I know it can hang around into late May. Seen some snow drifts(5-6') down along Trout Run that flows into the west side of Pine in the early 90's.

Brad - it was in fall turkey maybe 8 or so years ago. We were hunting up on Ridge/Portage Road a couple miles from Austin/Costello. Our camp is in Portage Hollow between Austin and Costello, there was no snow in the valley there, just on the ridge tops.

Back