Possibly Stocking Spruce Run

I can’t even order live crawfish to have a Cajun seafood boil. It’s pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

I used to buy them already cooked and seasoned for a ridiculously cheap price years ago at the Giant Market on Spring Garden Street in Carlisle.

I used to joke with the guy behind the counter they were so cheap because nobody knew what they were or they were afraid to try them...

I have no idea if they were invasive crayfish but they were delicious!! ;)

So it seems like the OP here is a High School student looking for a good long term project.

First, a few things.
  1. Awesome that you are interested in this! You are showing a level of curiosity and dedication to research/ecology that will take you far in life.
  2. I hope other posters here recognize this, and are as supportive as you have seen them to be so far.
  3. Not sure if your school conducts a Trout in The Classroom project, but you might want to look into it or even encourage your school to do that. You might even be able to reach out to a different school close to you who has one, and nag them to join it.
  4. Record things. Temperature, PH, and other cheap to measure variables. Keeping good records will help you, and not just with fly fishing.
  5. Keep at it, and do not give up.
  6. Seek a good mentor if you do not already have one.
When I was in high school I worked on a program that monitored and stocked Native Brook Trout in NE Ohio. It was a genetic strain that was very pure, and I managed a small hatchery for a summer and did GIS mapping of habitat for the naturally reproducing populations. This was about 20 years ago, and the program is not around any longer - but it had a dramatic impact on my life. It was run by a private school that I did not attend. I bugged the crap out of them, and had my school administrator call them. They eventually invited me to join the program for the summer, and even opened it up to other students from other districts. Being persistent, showing up, and having a positive attitude will make an impact for you.

So it seems like the OP here is a High School student looking for a good long term project.

First, a few things.
  1. Awesome that you are interested in this! You are showing a level of curiosity and dedication to research/ecology that will take you far in life.
  2. I hope other posters here recognize this, and are as supportive as you have seen them to be so far.
  3. Not sure if your school conducts a Trout in The Classroom project, but you might want to look into it or even encourage your school to do that. You might even be able to reach out to a different school close to you who has one, and nag them to join it.
  4. Record things. Temperature, PH, and other cheap to measure variables. Keeping good records will help you, and not just with fly fishing.
When I was in high school I worked on a program that monitored and stocked Native Brook Trout in NE Ohio. It was a genetic strain that was very pure, and I managed a small hatchery for a summer and did GIS mapping of habitat for the naturally reproducing populations. This was about 20 years ago, and the program is not around any longer - but it had a dramatic impact on my life. It was run by a private school that I did not attend. I bugged the crap out of them, and had my school administrator call them. They eventually invited me to join the program for the summer, and even opened it up to other students from other districts. Being persistent, showing up, and having a positive attitude will make an impact for you.
thank you man I really appreciate the advice

First, a few things.
This is a fantastic post! Just want to second that I think it's awesome you are interested in this. KrsnaM, you've touched on a hot button item on this chat board, which is stocking fish. I believe that's why you got a cold shoulder from some members. There are plenty of great people and resources here, PLEASE DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!!

This is a fantastic post! Just want to second that I think it's awesome you are interested in this. KrsnaM, you've touched on a hot button item on this chat board, which is stocking fish. I believe that's why you got a cold shoulder from some members. There are plenty of great people and resources here, PLEASE DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!!
Thank you man, I did kinda feel like people were taking my ideas kinda personally. I'm definitely still gonna try to pursue the idea, I'd really love to make this happen, I'm super interested in it still, I probably am just gonna take tests this year though. Kinda sad to hear I wouldn't be able to add crawfish, those dudes are pretty chill.

As soon as I read this post/thread, I presumed that you were all being punked, given that it was April Fool's Day. Not saying you were or were not, but.....

As soon as I read this post/thread, I presumed that you were all being punked, given that it was April Fool's Day. Not saying you were or were not, but.....
I know bro I just don't know what I'm talking ab half the time haha. Im really new to fly fishing too, started late last year.

I know bro I just don't know what I'm talking ab half the time haha. Im really new to fly fishing too, started late last year.

Assuming your post was above board and you truly meant it, I'm not picking on you. We all have different backgrounds and different levels of knowledge of trout streams and conservation. "Bucket biology" is just a really hot topic on these forums and I presumed that there was at least a chance that you were trying to elicit a certain response (in which case I would have said that you were brilliant). ;)

Assuming your post was above board and you truly meant it, I'm not picking on you. We all have different backgrounds and different levels of knowledge of trout streams and conservation. "Bucket biology" is just a really hot topic on these forums and I presumed that there was at least a chance that you were trying to elicit a certain response (in which case I would have said that you were brilliant). ;)
haha nah man im serious, Im super inexperienced. Trynna get involved tho I find this stuff really interesting.

haha nah man im serious, Im super inexperienced. Trynna get involved tho I find this stuff really interesting.
The biology department of a local college may help out. One of my sons (along with several other students) did a stream survey for invertebrates for his senior project when he attended Messiah in Grantham. I believe there was someone doing these surveys every year near the school.

Checkout Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, they have a lot of opportunities to help volunteer or participate in citizen science like measuring basic water quality parameters. Other volunteer activities might include tree plantings and litter cleanups. Tree plantings and protecting riparian buffers all benefits water quality.

Now that we're in a big heat wave, I'm kinda curious to know if the OP of this thread has been checking on spruce run
Weather like this will really tell you how this stream holds up flow and temperature wise.
You still out there KrsnaM?

Now that we're in a big heat wave, I'm kinda curious to know if the OP of this thread has been checking on spruce run
Weather like this will really tell you how this stream holds up flow and temperature wise.
You still out there KrsnaM?
Yep, I’m still here 😁 however I’m in Texas for a few weeks then heading up to WA and BC, I’ll be back by the end of July— I left to Texas 2 days ago, and as of then the creek was still running, but I’ll update you when I get back

Wow, quite the travel agenda. Enjoy.

Worth noting that depending on exact location swpa has been hovering near record precipitation for the year.

But the rainfall has really subsided this past month.
Had to water the garden the past few weeks to keep things alive.
And my lawn is starting to turn brown

Here in Central PA, I am desperately wanting rain. The creeks, however, have quite a bit of water in them.

Back