Possibly Stocking Spruce Run

KrsnaM

KrsnaM

I had some thoughts about stocking an area of Spruce Run, a tributary to the Ohio River in Bellevue PA with trout. The area is around the basketball court, playground, and Avalon pool. I've already spoken to some of the biologists in charge of Western PA, but they say they cannot stock the waters without doing proper tests, and tests cannot be conducted until at the very least next year, as they are backed up with work and hatcheries are at full capacity.

I've been thinking about conducting tests of my own on the water, including pH levels, water temperatures, etc, and first stocking the waters with smaller fish like creek chub, maybe bluegill, and adding crawfish, then perhaps purchasing and adding trout to the waters after getting a Notice of Stocking.

The waters in Spruce Run are super clear and flow really well with minimal pollution, its got lots of bigger rocks, moss and vegetation, and pools that get up to at least 7 feet deep. So far, the only species of fish in the waters right now are Western Blacknose Dace, pretty much minnow that group together and feed on the plants. Ive seen aquatic snails, dragonfly larvae, and a very small population of creek chub as well.

If anyone has any recommendations or tips, please let me know, as I'll take all the advice I can get.

Some of the Western Blacknose Dace
Screen Shot 2024 04 01 at 11420 PM
Screen Shot 2024 04 01 at 12515 PM

Last edited:
Are you aware of this?:

That being said, I'd start first by trying to find out from the Area Fisheries Manager WHY this particular stream section ISN'T stocked before I'd waste any time or money...
"There are many streams across the state that have suitable conditions for trout stocking, but are not stocked with trout by PFBC because our hatcheries are at maximum capacity. Therefore, even if Spruce Run has adequate conditions, it would not be added to our Stocked Trout Program at this time." This was the response I got from the Area 8 Fisheries Manager of PA... the truth is, Spruce Run is just unpopular, as there are lots of other tributaries that nobody really cares about. And yes, as I said in the post, I would have to get a notice of stocking.

Why stock it?
Its right next to my house, practically in my backyard. Literally, I walk for less than one minute to get to the creek. I think it would be super cool to be able to fish in such a convenient location.

If there are creek chub present, there is no reason to stock more. Usually if right habitat is present they are prolific breeders as they are not really that sensitive to organic and sediment impairments. Also, you are not allowed to stock crayfish in pennsylvania. In fact it is illegal to transport live crayfish from a creek you caught them in.

It seems like you are implying that you would want to stock this section with trout, if so, why would you stock it with bluegill?

Its right next to my house, practically in my backyard. Literally, I walk for less than one minute to get to the creek. I think it would be super cool to be able to fish in such a convenient location.
Lyco sums it up perfectly.

Sounds like you want an aquarium in your backyard to fish.

If there are creek chub present, there is no reason to stock more. Usually if right habitat is present they are prolific breeders as they are not really that sensitive to organic and sediment impairments. Also, you are not allowed to stock crayfish in pennsylvania. In fact it is illegal to transport live crayfish from a creek you caught them in.

It seems like you are implying that you would want to stock this section with trout, if so, why would you stock it with bluegill?
Yeahhh idk prolly wouldn't add any fish on second thought, though I've only ever seen one creek chub in the entire run... also, I would get the crawfish from a hatchery, one pretty close to me has them available for stocking, though ill take a closer look to see the laws on them

Lyco sums it up perfectly.

Sounds like you want an aquarium in your backyard to fish.
Not so much... I'm just super inexperienced when it comes to this kind of thing, but I'm trying to learn as I go along... undoubtably, stocking said waters would also increase community recreational activity since that area of spruce run already attracts many residents (community pool, playground, field and shelter, and basketball court are all in the immediate surrounding area)

Im also trying to use it for my Long Term Project in HS, just showing what it takes to stock the waters and what the environmental impacts are.

If there is a hatchery selling live crayfish for stocking in PA they are breaking the law and should be reported to the Fish and Boat Commission.
Wow ok thanks, I never knew that... in Raccoon Creek, there's a lot of those lil dudes, I just figured they were allowed in PA. Not to mention they would feed the trout and feed on the vegetation.

Yeah, this is a strange thread. If bluegill seem like a fitting fish, then trout are not, and vice versa. Trout and bluegill are definitely not really fish to overlap their habitat.

Typically, suitable fish will already call that stream home. Did you contact the PFBC and see if they have ever surveyed the stream? Chances are that they very well may have when they were analyzing their trout waters which started quite a few years ago. If they have surveyed it, they would probably share their findings with you.

Without knowing anything more about this, though, it seems that a better use of resources would be to drive to one of the stocked Allegheny County streams and have at it.

Wow ok thanks, I never knew that... in Raccoon Creek, there's a lot of those lil dudes, I just figured they were allowed in PA. Not to mention they would feed the trout and feed on the vegetation.
I think you are misunderstanding Lyco. A crayfish is not a crayfish is not a crayfish....... Just because there are crayfish in there does not mean it is okay to add whatever crayfish you want.

Have you ever heard of Rusty Crayfish? Look em up. They are unwanted, but they are already in a lot of places. There are many species of crayfish.

I think you are misunderstanding Lyco. A crayfish is not a crayfish is not a crayfish....... Just because there are crayfish in there does not mean it is okay to add whatever crayfish you want.

Have you ever heard of Rusty Crayfish? Look em up. They are unwanted, but they are already in a lot of places. There are many species of crayfish.

Yeah I know what you mean... I did look up the Rusty Crayfish and I saw they are illegal. So I'm to understand that any and all crayfish are illegal to stock or sell, correct? Also, I did talk to the PFBC about stocking but not about any reports... the Area 8 Fisheries Manager said they would have to conduct aquatic tests tho.

I live about 10 minutes away from this stream in West View.
But have never been along it before.

Have you ever checked its flows in the summer?
Along with high possible thermal issues, it may even completely dry up

That said, there are two streams that are stocked in nearby Sewickley.
One of them reportedly even has a few wild trout in it....

Yeah I know what you mean... I did look up the Rusty Crayfish and I saw they are illegal. So I'm to understand that any and all crayfish are illegal to stock or sell, correct? Also, I did talk to the PFBC about stocking but not about any reports... the Area 8 Fisheries Manager said they would have to conduct aquatic tests tho.
Contact your local fisheries biologist or someone else who would be "in the know" and see if the stream was ever surveyed. If it was, they will email you the results.

...If there is a hatchery selling live crayfish for stocking in PA they are breaking the law and should be reported to the Fish and Boat Commission.

Unless you are one of those folks think the poor crayfish peddler is a single mother who doesn't know any better so you just ignore the behavior... ;)

...Have you ever checked its flows in the summer?
Along with high possible thermal issues, it may even completely dry up...

Even though I'm not fan of introducing things into an environment where they don't already exist...

In regards to the stream in question's ability to provide a suitable fishery beyond a month or two, like Dryflyguy is implying, the most valuable tool in the assessment may be a thermometer.

With regular measurements you may discover that you have a steam that is "super clear and flows really well with minimal pollution, lots of bigger rocks, moss and vegetation"...

...and it's 75 degrees in May.

I live about 10 minutes away from this stream in West View.
But have never been along it before.

Have you ever checked its flows in the summer?
Along with high possible thermal issues, it may even completely dry up

That said, there are two streams that are stocked in nearby Sewickley.
One of them reportedly even has a few wild trout in it....
nah, I think perhaps this year I will just monitor the water, take the temperatures... if all is well this year and the water doesn't reach over 65 degrees, I might have more reason to stock it, maybe in the fall.

Even though I'm not fan of introducing things into an environment where they don't already exist...

In regards to the stream in question's ability to provide a suitable fishery beyond a month or two, like Dryflyguy is implying, the most valuable tool in the assessment may be a thermometer.

With regular measurements you may discover that you have a steam that is "super clear and flows really well with minimal pollution, lots of bigger rocks, moss and vegetation"...

...and it's 75 degrees in May.
Yeah I agree. I'll just monitor the waters this year, if all is well I may reconsider stocking it towards the fall.

Back