Possible Hiking Ban on Game Lands

streamerguy

streamerguy

Thoughts??

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2015/01/pennsylvania_considering_all-o.html

I know many people(myself included) enjoy fishing on game lands.

After reading the actual PGC proposal, I don't think that fishing will be banned.

Yeah ban hikers. God forbid a hunter accurately identifies his game and takes a safe shot. Can we please have some common sense and self responsibility in this freakin world?

Disclaimer: don't hike so it doesn't impact me.

Isn't State Game Land different from State Forest? I can't find the answer to this anywhere and I'm slightly embarrassed that I don't know the difference, if there is one. I have a feeling that State game land is a smaller boundary inside of a state forest, just like state parks, game preserves, natural areas etc... All the articles I have read do not address this and I'm wondering if most folks read this as a hiking ban on ALL public land. Is it?

bigslackwater wrote:
Isn't State Game Land different from State Forest? I can't find the answer to this anywhere and I'm slightly embarrassed that I don't know the difference, if there is one. I have a feeling that State game land is a smaller boundary inside of a state forest, just like state parks, game preserves, natural areas etc... All the articles I have read do not address this and I'm wondering if most folks read this as a hiking ban on ALL public land. Is it?

State Gamelands are managed by the Game Commission.

State forests are managed by DCNR, Bureau of Forestry.

They are two separate agencies.

What's being discussed here relates to State Gamelands only.

Look at a PA state highway map and you will see the state forests and the state gamelands shown there. Both have extensive land holdings.

Maybe there should be a hiking season so we can also ban hunting during hiking season. Although I take walks through the woods I'm not a hiker but I find this suggestion to be as ridiculous as banning hunting during hiking season.

Hunters pay for it. So....

On the permit front, it seems pretty clear from the actual rule that those engaged in fishing are exempted:

(5) [Ride] Hike on foot or ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal from the last Saturday in September until the third Saturday in January, and [before 1 p.m.] from the second Saturday in April through [the last Saturday in May] Memorial Day inclusive, except on Sundays or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

Now, if you are hiking in on a designated trail to fish, what does that mean? You are not technically engaged in fishing at that point (although I can claim mentally that I am).

Regardless, there is, in the proposal, no cost for the trail permit. Seems like another layer of bureaucracy to me, unless the goal is to enhance revenue by fining hikers?

I am assuming the possession of the free permit does not preempt the ban on hiking? In other words, you can't be there during hunting season, unless you have the hiking permit? Or you need the hiking permit to be there during non-hunting season?

I think they are trying to restrict game lands for people using them for their purpose - game. Hunting, fishing, trapping. That is what the land if for. If you are hunting and some bozo comes bumbling through scaring off your prey, that might be a problem. Personally I think people should be allowed to hike them or whatever, I think common courtesy would dictate you don't hike during hunting season though if you have other options.

In other words, we are safe.

I believe that the State Gamelands should be reserved for what it is, game, hunting, trapping, and fishing. There are plenty of trails and state parks in the state. When I am hunting, the last thing that I want to see is a group of kids walking through the woods scaring my deer away, trust me, it has happened. I am not against people hiking at all, until it interferes with the lands set aside for us hunters, trappers, and fishermen. My thought on the matter.

Personally I think people should be allowed to hike them or whatever, I think common courtesy would dictate you don't hike during hunting season though if you have other options.

And there's the rub, common courtey, or lack there of.

Eliminate the selfish me, me, me attitudes and replace them with courteous consideration of other user groups and you've just solved 97% of the problems.

And educating the public wrt how the SGL's are managed and by whom would also go a long way to clearing up people's perceptions.

Hmm, the Appalachian and Horseshoe Trails run right through SGL 211. This ought to be fun. *grabs lawn chair and popcorn*

Here's the actual language. When some smart person deciphers this, please splain it to us in simple English.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Subchapter C. STATE GAME LANDS§ 135.41. State game lands.

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:
(5) [Ride] Hike on foot or ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal from the last Saturday in September until the third Saturday in January, and [before 1 p.m.] from the second Saturday in April through [the last Saturday in May] Memorial Day inclusive, except on Sundays or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.
(23) Ride on designated bike trails, snowmobile trails or horse trails or hike on foot on any lands or waters designated as State game lands, unless the person is in possession of a valid hunting or furtaker license or a valid SGL permit signed by its holder. This provision shall not be construed to apply to:
(i) Persons 15 years of age or younger or up to one person accompanying another person in possession of a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaking license or a Commission-issued trail permit.
(ii) Persons using the Appalachian Trail, Laurel Highlands Trail, Horse-Shoe Trail, rails-to-trails or other trails on State game lands under current written agreement or other formal legal authorization permitting such use.
CHAPTER 147. SPECIAL PERMITS
Subchapter AA. STATE GAME LANDS TRAIL PERMIT
§ 147.1021. Purpose and scope.
This subchapter provides for trail permits to be issued to eligible persons to authorize their holders to ride on designated bike trails, snowmobile trails or horse trails or hike on foot on lands and waters designated as State game lands.
§ 147.1022. Eligibility and application.
(a) Trail permits will only be issued to persons 16 years of age or older who do not possess a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license.
(b) Applications for trail permits issued under this subchapter shall be made on a form provided by the Commission.
(c) Applications must include the name and contact information of the permit applicant.
(d) There is no fee for a trail permit.
§ 147.1023. Trail permit.
(a) A trail permit issued under this subchapter authorizes the permittee to ride on designated bike trails, snowmobile trails or horse trails or hike on foot on lands and waters designated as State game lands.
(b) Permittees shall utilize designated bike trails, snowmobile trails or horse trails or hike on foot on lands and waters designated as State game lands in a manner consistent
with applicable requirements, conditions and restrictions provided for in the act and §§ 135.2 and 135.41 (relating to unlawful actions and State game lands).
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, the Appalachian and Horseshoe Trails run right through SGL 211. This ought to be fun. *grabs lawn chair and popcorn*

Those are exempted, see Troutbert's snip of the actual proposals.

In spring and fall hunting seasons, riding a non-motorized vehicle, other means of transportation or an animal were previously prohibited. Hiking is added to that list. If you were engaged in fishing, hunting, or trapping, presumably you can ride or be transported by a Shetland pony. So quite possibly, if you are engaged in one of the three, you can hike too.

In addition, if you are a hiker, you now need a free permit to hike outside the closure time. You don't need a permit for certain long distance trails or other special authorization that you may have obtained.

Current code:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.41.html

Basically, hiking is added to a list of transportation means that by themselves, are prohibited during hunting season, unless you are engaged in an angling, hunting or trapping pursuit. And you need a permit to hike outside of hiking season. Except, when you don't.

I think the PGC could be doing a better job communicating this to the public. This is from an older article.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/outdoors/50184207/PGC-board-may-vote-on-game-lands-permit

"Given the Game Commission’s duty to mitigate damage caused by uses not related to hunting or trapping, a lack of action might also jeopardize the receipt of future Pittman-Robertson funds, which are derived from a federal excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition, then doled out to the states for habitat restoration and other uses."

Ban hunting in state forests and we'll call it even. These are created for timbering sales/leases and the general appreciation of the natural wonders of our Commonwealth, not for the intentional destruction of wild animals.

If you visit wildlandspa.org (Wildlands Conservancy, Emmaus) and read their annual report you'll find they've been involved in land acquisitions (some large) that have been turned over to the Game Commission. So we can't make a blanket statement that all Game Commission land was purchased through hunting license purchases. Lots of benevolent corporations and individuals who aren't hunters contribute to WC.

Perhaps their acquisitions are small in the grand scheme of things, but a thorough review of the source of all property managed by the Game Commission would be interesting.

So just make sure you carry a fishing rod and valid license when you go hiking?

Are the game lands open to drilling/fracking?

Back