Pond Strategies

zenherper

zenherper

I have not yet done much warmwater fishing. I will be camping this weekend and the campground has a small fishing pond. I thought about giving it a try. What are some strategies some of you use on ponds? Should I basically just throw streamers, or do any of you use dry flies? I appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

Do you know what's in the pond? Not all ponds have bass, but most at least have sunfish. Depending on the pond, some have trout, catfish, walleye, etc, but for the most part it's just bass, sunnies, and the occasional crappie. I'd suggest walking the entire edge of the pond with polarized glasses on to get a feel for what's happening in the pond before tying on. Look for any current whatsoever, even if it's just a trickle, fish tend to congregate here. This is usually in the form of a spring feeding the pond or an overflow pipe/dam. Beyond that just look for any structure or where you see fish. Pond fish usually aren't picky, so i'd fish topwater just because it's fun and you can. Small poppers and terrestrials for the sunnies and larger poppers for bass. If that doesn't work you can always throw buggers in various sizes. Have fun.

Thanks! I'm not sure what is in there, but I would guess the standard bass, sunnies, and crappies. I will try the poppers, and see how that works out.

Yeah, streamers and poppers for Bass, and any Sunfish that's big enough to take them. You'll catch Sunnies all day on top with any big, buggy dry...twitch it a little...enough to make some rings on the surface and then let it sit...they'll nail it while it's sitting still.

Good advice from ice too...look for any obvious structure or changes in the bottom features. Current around the inflow and outflow are definite hot spots.

Tie on a popper, then tie a wooly bugger about a foot or so below the popper. Sometimes the fish will swim by to check out the noise, then take the bugger.

A foam spider is a good fly for prospecting as well.

Back