Pompeii

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Trying a new (to me) winging techinique.

This is the first wing of this Pompadour style I've made.
I had these nice amgold crests and I was aiming for a minimalistic fly.

Hook is not ideal, but I worked with what I had. I'll be making my own more suitable hooks in the near future. THis hook is a McNeese Blue Heron Size 1
Not the perfect outcome I was hoping for as the transitions between the 'tail's' needs some work, but still pretty happy with this one.

Eunan

2013-12-17-21-50-30-667.jpg

That is without a doubt one of the most innovative ties I have ever seen. Is this a recognized/traditional pattern? Sorry for the dumb question but this one blows me away. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Rolf, it's purely a fantasy fly on my part

I have a question, and please excuse my ignorance, but why the salmon flies? Are they more difficult to tie, is it a historical thing, or is this personal preference? There seems to be a lot of guys into the salmon flies here.

I ask because I come from a background of catskill style dry flies, and traditional nymphs, for trout (mostly char) and that's about it.

I like the picture, by the way. The fly laying on the contrasting cape is a really nice effect.

This might get long, so bear with me.

Why Salmon flies? I saw tying salmon flies as a challenge, and I wanted to be able to tie them well. So i embarked on learning some skills and techniques which are not necessarily adhered to in the tying of more simple fishing flies. I learned the techniques from tying winged wet flies, as well as Rangeley style streamers.

Are they easier to tie? They're not anymore difficult to tie than any other kind of fly if you remember to stick to some well established principles, but they do take somewhat longer to tie ( sometimes up to 6-8 hours)

In terms of preference for them - i get easily bored when I have to knock out a dozen fishing flies - last night i could only muster three and thenI had to stop. I could sit for hours prepping material and working out proportions on a salmon fly, and not see the time go by. The reward at the end is a well tied fly, provided you are disciplined enough to follow all the skills and knowledge you've built up in the learning process. For me that has been a two year journey, and I'm still learning everyday how to tweak what i do in order to get the result i want in the end. You never learn enough when tying these flies, and all that knowledge can be applied to other aspects of tying, as well as life!

As for the historical perspective, its true there are not a lot of folks in the world who can tie Atlantic salmon flies well, or at least display quality, as compared to the number of fishermen who tie flies for fishing. I'd say we're talking in the thousandths of 1% range. So, in order to preserve the art, some folks need to keep the flame burning. I see myself as one of those, who, while not strictly detail orientated about the origins and history of every single fly, can still tie them and preserve the knowledge and skills necessary to pass on to future generations.

I started tying flies when i was 11. I did that for a few years, then high school, college and life got in the way. I started tying again about 3 years ago (i'm now 34) and began the classics journey just two years ago. Its fair to say I've focused mostly on classic flies for the last two years (not including dry flies, which is something i want to learn)

I guess you could say I took up tying again to gain some perspective in my life and to become more disciplined and patient, whether or not i have, you'll have to ask my wife.

Thanks to one and all who check in on the flies i post, whether or not you leave a comment.
I don't post them for comments, but i do appreciate that they are viewed. If nothing else you see what is capable with some hard work (2 years) and perseverance. Maybe one day, some kid (or even adult) will see the flies and decide to give them a go to preserve the knowledge. Its not everyone's cup of tea to tie flies like these, but I know when i couldn't tie them i certainly enjoyed looking at the great work of other classic fly tyers.

Eunan

Thanks for the response Eunan.

I had no idea it took that long to tie an Atlantic salmon fly, or that it was a dying art. I have more respect for the flies, and the tiers, after reading that.

Not sure if you're going to be at the Eastern PA tying Jam on saturday, but i'm going to tie a salmon fly from start to finish there, so if you can make it you'll see what goes in to it.

Eunan

I can't make that event Eunan, I have other obligations that day.

I will try to check YouTube though so I can get an idea as to what goes into these flies.

Back