polorized glasses

C

cdogedoger

wondering what is your preference when it comes to glasses. i have a cheap pair i got at walmart. wondering what you look for when buying glasses. i don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a new pair, but i don't mind spending some money if it is a good product. the ones i use now are dark lenses and on streams like clarks creek, i take them off at times because its like a black out. i know there are defferent tints and colored lenses. Any info on brands or any thing is great.

thanks
John

I still have a pair I bought at Wally World three years ago... the longest I've ever owned and not destroyed or lost a pair. They have glass lenses and are gray, polarized, have flexible frames and hinges and were all of 8 bucks. If I had known, i'd have bought 10 pair. Best pair I've ever owned. Spent big bucks once and broke 'em. If they carry polarized ones, I would look at one of those kiosks at the mall where they sell the knock-offs for 10 bucks. I just won't spend the money anymore. The last two pair I bought off of Ebay ...one Amber and one Gray. They ok and I think I paid 10bucks total for both. I like the gray ones mostly for lakes and the beach. The Amber ones are really good in that low light you mentioned. They seem to brighten things up, especially right before and after sunset.

i had cheap pair think i paid 15$ for them then i got a pair action optics, paid around 80 $ or so when wearing them one eye kept watering then i remember an article i think it was in flyfisherman mag an optomertrist said that the curve of the lense can have that effect , switched back to the cheap ones sold the action optics

cdogedoger

As I have heard it, there are a few features you want to look for.

High quality glass lenses. Indexed glass is supposed to be best, it will cut down on glare without significantly reducing the light. Optical quality glass can cut down on scratches, as it is denser and coating can help with that too. Plastic lenses are to be avoided especially if you use DEET or if you are hard on equipment. Deet burns through plastic. And plastic lenses are easily scratched if they are put into a pocket with a bunch of other things.

Tint. Yellow lets in the most light. So it's good for low light conditions, such as twighlight, gloomy hemlock forests, overcast days. Brown is probably the best overall.

I wear glasses, so rather than getting prescription lenses (which is, I'm sure the best thing to do), I go to http://www.polarizedoptics.com/clip_on_sunglasses.html
They have non-clipons too of course.

One of the few top of the line luxury items I own is my pair of Oakley XX polarized glasses. This is my third pair. The first pair got dropped by a friend and was replaced. and the second pair got stolen. They weren't cheap, but I've had them for three years now and they look brand new. They also fit really well, to the point that you can't tell you are wearing them.

I agree with JayL on this one. I am fortunate enought to have kick a** eye insurance that will cover perscription sunglasses. I recently purchased a very expensive pair from another manufacturer and I am very unhappy with them. Get the Oakleys. I have had mine for three years and they look and feel brand new. The lenses are almost pristine. They are also very good about repairs and damage. My dog chewed my wifes and they replaced the frames gratis. They fit very well, I have a pumpkin head. I also purchase oakley for my every day glasses and have had nothing but a positive experience. Same deal on those as well with the customer service. I got hammered one night and woke up on the living room floor with a pair of broken eye glasses and again they replaced them no questions asked.

http://oakley.com

Thanks for all the info. guys. I really appreciate it.

John

Dont forget Costa Del Mar. I live in mine and have the lines on my head to prove it. Great for fresh /saltwater. Amber is the best all around color for shallow water. Oakley is good too but a little more expensive I think with certain frames.

Go to campmor.com Great glasses unbelievable prices. On my third pair from there, current pair are bolles paid 35.00 found EXACT pair elsewhere for over 100.00.

Back