Polarized glasses?

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

Is there any kind of a consenous on the best Polarized glasses for small stream trout fishing?

I don't wear them for brookie fishing. I don't like them under the cover of trees.

Plus if someone doesn't know where the brookies are hiding, and think sunglasses will help them, they need to spend more time fishing small waters. Or I can help -- large pools with lots of cover.

Polaroid is a camera. You mean 'polarized'.

I prefer Oakley, but haven't been wearing them for a few months. Your main variation is in lens shade. Some people prefer lighter, some darker. I'm of the belief that lighter is better for fishing around here.

I agree with JayL, Oakley amber polarized is what I wear always.

jayL wrote:
Polaroid is a camera. You mean 'polarized'.

I prefer Oakley, but haven't been wearing them for a few months. Your main variation is in lens shade. Some people prefer lighter, some darker. I'm of the belief that lighter is better for fishing around here.
You're right. My bad! :lol: Correction made.

You may want to look at Coyote sunglasses. They are the only ones I know of that combine the polarization and photo chromatic coatings on a lens for their production glasses. These lenses adjust their tint depending on sunlight and are polarized. http://www.coyoteusa.com/PolarChromatic.html

I got a pair a couple of months ago and I've only been out fishing a few days so I don't have any long term opinions yet. I like to wear glasses whenever possible since more than once I've had a hook come flying back at me or been hit the face while pushing through vegetation. The problem is most sunglasses are too dark for fly fishing under cover or at dusk & dawn. These seem to do the job better than anything else I’ve tried so far.

I actually like my Oakley Shallow Blue glasses better from a pure optical quality standpoint (and looks) but they're just not as practical if you're fishing very early or late in the day. Another plus is the Coyotes are much less expensive.

I was just about to have my optometrist order custom polarized, photo chromatic lenses for my sunglasses when I found the Coyote website. If I really like the ones I have I may spend the money for better custom lenses. Also, you can get clear polarized lenses if you spend a lot of time in the shadows.

Oh yea, one more thing. Photochromic lenses do not function well in your car. Most automotive glass blocks the UV light that causes photochromic lenses to darken.

Polarized glasses are polarized glasses.... The $5 pairs at Walmart work just as good as anything else! I lose/break so many pairs that I can't afford to go any other way!

gzacckey,

Just curious, how much are they? I searched but didn't see a price list.

Yeah, I use $10 cheapo's. As long as they're polarized, they're pretty good.

Granted your better Oakleys will be a little better, a tighter control on the polarization, less loss of light, and probably a better scractch coating. But I end up leaving them somewhere, breaking them, or most often, taking them off late evening on the stream and having them fall out of my pocket. It's a lot less painful when they were $10. They are also my driving glasses and live in the sunglasses holder in the truck.

MKern,

I purchased them at SierraTradingPost for $26.73. I just checked and they still have three models from $29.95 to $34.95. Although I would expect an additional discount coupon to come out this week.

Again, I've worn these for a few short outings so I really can't say too much other than so far, so good.

I just bought a new pair of glasses, and wish I would have seen these ahead of time. I like the idea of transistions lenses.

Pcray,

I used to wear only the cheap ones while fishing for the same reasons you stated until I literally got tired of using them. The coatings and lenses were less durable and not as optically clear. Plus they generally come in limited tints and a one size fits all model.

Your eyes will compensate for some imperfections in the lens and coatings of the low end glasses but eventually your eyes can tire. What you’ll find in the more expensive models, especially as your eyes age, is that your eyes will feel less strained at the end of a long day in the sun. I don’t wear RX lenses yet but I was getting eye strain and occasional light headaches after full day of fishing. My wife (she manages an Optometrist’s office) recommended coming in for an exam and replacing my sunglasses with a better pair and, voila, no more eye strain or headaches. Well actually not voila. I wore another pair of cheap glasses I already had to see what would happen then I wised up and spent the dollars. Up until then I only wore Oakleys when cycling. You would think I would have put 2 & 2 together and figure that problem out on my own since I never had the problem when riding. Sometimes I think my wallet has too much control over my brain. I fish too much to skimp on comfort.

I first started wearing Oakley glasses for cycling about 20 years ago because I like their style and performance but they and other top brands are expensive even at outlet and sale prices. Rec Specs are less expensive. The coyote glasses I’m trying now were about $70 retail but I got them for less than $30 at SierraTradingPost. High quality sunglasses are expensive so you need to treat them like any other piece of valued equipment. I keep my glasses on my face, hanging around my neck or in their case (a hard case). If I must take them off while fishing I treat them like I would a spare reel and put them in their case and secure them in my jacket/pocket/vest. While I have my share of accidents I've tried to develop some good habits that have reduced the frequency at which I damage/lose gear.

MKern,

if you change your mind about trying those glasses I received my latest coupon (20% off your entire order until 3/9) just after I sent my last reply. Of course after that date I'll get another coupon.

El Cheapo strikes again.

They will be stratched, lost , or break before too long.

The less I spend on sunglasses, the less likely I am to lose or break them. I would like to get a prescription pair of polarized lenses, but the price isn't right. I have been using the clip-on polarized lenses over my glasses and, while not ideal, it is the next best solution for me. $7.99 at the drug store.

ditto on the cheapo...I have one amber pair and one gray pair...

I got a pair if polorized perscription glasses at Sam's Club for 75 bucks. Took my script in and had them a week later. Every bit as good as the Oakleys that I was having replaced. Check them out. It was a frame on clearence. In the past I have also taken in my old eyeglass frames and had them made into sunglasses.
Just some ideas. I can't wear contacts so having sunglasses in a must for me.

i get the wal-mart ones that are mirrored. Had them many seasons. I think they were 10 dollars but they dont break ;-)

I also have the Wal-Mart polarized for $10. This is my third pair - they do break! Better to break or lose a cheap pair than the expensive ones. Its tough to justify expensive sunglasses for myself.

this is the last pair of Walmart Polarized glasses I ever owned. Loved them. Had them for years...apparently I still have my left because of them. In case you are wondering...this is what they look like after a deer hits you in the face...

Attachments

• glass bend.jpg
    glass bend.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 4
Ya gotta get the plastic framed ones.... You'll probably lose them before you break them.

Back