Poe paddy SP

C

cuboodle

Hello the camp
Anyone know if there is cell coverage at Poe paddy state park?? Planning a few day stay and am expecting a call for a job while I'm there.

Thanks

if there is, it most likely is very weak. Lot's of spots in the penns creek valley with no service, it's a fairly deep gorge. Heck, even on the tops of the mountains around there, coverage can be spotty.
I wouldn't plan on receiving any calls if I camped there.
I WOULD plan on some fine fishing though!!

The coverage is really spotty with Verizon. There is a small amount of signal where Poe dumps in. *

*Results may vary based on cell service provider and phone.

Yeah, it's pretty dead in there. I have AT&T and have no service. My guess is you'll need to head back out to the west toward 322 aways before picking up a steady signal with most carriers. I have a good signal at the top of the mountain on 322.

I'm impressed that any of the carrier's can get signal in the valley. I certainly wouldn't count on it. I've had pretty good luck getting signal at the top of, or even 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up, several of the ridges.

First, call the Poe Paddy SP park office and ask a ranger if there is cell service there. If it is spotty, they will know for sure where you may pick up a signal.

Second, ask if there is a phone booth, (if you know what that is. ;-)).

In most places where there is no cell service you can find a pay phone. Give the pay phone number to the person you expect to call you and pick a time for a call back if they are willing.

I do that all the time when fishing in cell-less areas. If nothing else you can use the pay phone to access your cell phone voicemail.

Go through the tunnel. Cell reception at cabin on left. At least I get it there.

Don't count on cell service, bring lots of dry flys and beer though!

Be discreet with the booze in a State Park, I think it may be illegal.

Yep, in that valley I just assume no cell coverage for the whole trip. Usually there will be a trip or two to civilization for groceries or a fly shop, and calls get made then.

Correct on no alcohol in the state park. Not telling you what to do or not to do ;), but per the rules it's a no no.

I generally go north on Poe Paddy Drive. (To the north up and around the mountain. Not towards Poe Valley Park.) Once on teh north face of the mountain I get service.

Warning, though. Poe Paddy Dr should not be attempted by all vehicles. It's a little rough, but mainly small, sharp rocks. So I won't say you need huge amounts of clearance and a 4x4. I wouldn't do it in sub-compact type clearances. But really, the tires are what's important. A/T tires, you're fine, even on a grocery getter CUV or something. But I don't think you should do it with, for instance, touring tires, even if they're on a Jeep Wrangler. A flat would be a bad situation in the middle of that hill.

Once on top, though, the road is fine. Just regular dirt roads.

Though you can get to the same place with a less direct route. Go out (towards Poe Valley SP, but not all the way there). Hang a right and go up Pine Swamp Rd. That goes up the mountain too, on better road, and intersects the other end of Poe Paddy Dr.

Last fall I camped by the tent sites where Big Poe enters Penns. I had my personal cell and work BB with me.

Verizon. No signal. Never
AT&T - I could get 1 bar (in and out). It was enough to send a text though.

I was just at the Poe Paddy section on Friday and I had no reception on AT&T.

Yep, I can corroborate that with Verizon had absolutely no service down there last year. Was parked and fished by where Swift Run entered...

On saturday 4/16 i had ATT service near the down stream entrance to the tunnel and a section of the trail. Not sure on bar but held a clear conversation. Once I dropped down to the stream no service.

Back