Poaching the Yellow Breeches

Here is an article in one of my local papers detailing how there is a major shortage of WCO officers.

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/8543917-74/hunting-commission-forest#axzz3dEeNrcnz

Sounds like it could get worse because they have 40 WCO that are at or nearing retirement age.

Sorry to say but wco's don't provide 24/7 coverage it's probably more closer to 8/5. Glad to hear justice caught up to you just as I knew it would. Regardless of their work hours lets not forget that most WCO's got into the field because of a love for the outdoors not because they needed a job. They are advocates for our resources and most have always been so.

Yes they are stretched thin but not when we all help out like joebamboo. Lets face it calling and leaving an anonymous tip about violators does nothing more then waste the WCO's precious time with no chance of a successful outcome.

I applaud what you did. You did what was right, you did it intelligently, and you did not endanger anybody and you did not break any laws in the process. Great job.

Stenonema wrote:
You have obviously witnessed something that is very disturbing to you. The trout that were lost are very important to you. The trout represent an emotional attachment robbed from you and others by a person with no regard for the law.
I am curious. Is it of any comfort to know they will stock many more in the stream?
Stocking trout draws a crowd and with a crowd come problems. A problem that I see as a result of fishing in a crowd or within site of another angler id the feeling of competition. Everyone wants to be the guy that is catching the most fish, especially when few others are. The danger of this motive for fishing is that it places the focus on us, the fisherman's desire to be that man trumps any and all respect for the trout.
The danger of stocking trout creates a mind set that poses a threat to wild trout populations and natural reproduction can be irreplaceable.
It comforts me more that this fisherman and ones like him have stocked trout to pursue. After all it is the culture that created him. This is my way of rationalizing.
Watching an eagle fly by with a large wild trout in it's talons is a pill to swallow too.
I don't know if any of this helps but don't allow that jerk to ruin your day or outing.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :-?

McSneek, What are you confused about?

Here is a interesting program that the Schuylkill County TU chapter has created. May the local chapter in this area could create the same incentivized program.

http://schuylkillcountytu.org/2015/06/21/schuylkill-county-trout-unlimited-report-a-poacher-program/

There's a fly fishing only section on the Breeches?

ebitt24 wrote:

No. Thinking it is FFO is a common mistake.
The special reg section on YB is artificial lures with catch & release.

pmelle wrote:
Here is a interesting program that the Schuylkill County TU chapter has created. May the local chapter in this area could create the same incentivized program.

http://schuylkillcountytu.org/2015/06/21/schuylkill-county-trout-unlimited-report-a-poacher-program/

I saw this a day or two ago. It seems like a good idea but I wonder how much they can really do. Most likely they are just going to call a WCO and report what you tell them, right?

Also as far as I understand, they are the only private club in SC that stocks public water. I'd report a violation to them, but I don't think I'd accept a reward. That money can be much better spent elsewhere, like more fish to stock or projects like a pier for handicap people.

Fishidiot wrote:
ebitt24 wrote:

No. Thinking it is FFO is a common mistake.
The special reg section on YB is artificial lures with catch & release.

Thanks for the clarification. Thought something changed that I wasn't aware of.

phiendWMD wrote:
What doesn't make sense to me is there aren't enough officers as it is. As far as I understand it, and perhaps I'm mistaken, the officers are paid with money from licenses. And the price for licenses was reduced. Maybe it will attract more people to purchase a license and increase the available funds. I just don't see that happening on a large enough scale to make a difference.

I'm not looking to spend anymore than I have to honestly. But I would prefer to pay $10-20 more for a license instead of a whole $1 less if it would have the benefit of increasing coverage. Maybe I'm in the minority here.

I fish a few times a week. I spend a good amount of time in very popular areas and have not seen a single PBFC officer this year. I did see the DCNR park rangers once this year but I'm pretty sure they are different. And oddly enough it was not in a park it was on SGL.

Do you really think that if license prices were increased that money would actually be put to good use? I don't!

I'd like to think the money would be well spent but I don't really follow the financial side of the PBFC nearly close enough to know how/where they spend money.

There certainly isn't a shortage of people breaking the law. If they could catch more by employing more WCOs it seems like an investment. I don't break the law so I don't deal with WCOs. I'm not sure if they lean more toward warnings and educating people or slamming them with fines.

Back