PMD vs. Sulphur

salmo

salmo

I'm headed to Montana in the later part of August. I have a bunch of Sulphurs tied up in 14-18. I notice that some sites say that they are interchangeable with flies tied for PMDs. Is that correct?

Yes that is my underdstanding and experience. Where in Montana are you fishing?
I'd add a few sulfur patterns in size 20. Also, you may want some patterns to represent the Drunella flavilinea 16-20.

Yes that is my underdstanding and experience. Where in Montana are you fishing?
I'd add a few sulfur patterns in size 20. Also, you may want some patterns to represent the Drunella flavilinea 16-20.
I'll be doing a couple of floats on the Madison for "hopper dropper" fishing. My son and I will be staying in West Yellowstone and hope to fish some of the smaller waters of the Western part of the Park.

In entomology they are considered siblings. One is E. Dorothea and the other E. Dorothea Dorothea. Body colors can vary between Suphurs in the Upper D and Central PA. Generally PMDs out west have a green cast to the body,

With the exception to this year, I fish the YNP the first week in Sept. For small water and hoppers, try Sentinel Creek. Park at the Firehole, hike the trail for about 2 - 3 miles you'll come to Sentinel meadows. The stream about 3-4 ft. wide meanders through the meadow. It's a stealthy fish, stay low and cast a hopper to the opposite bank, listen for the splash. (browns and brook trout). Fish your way back. The further up the upstream you go the smaller the fish and generally mostly brook trout.

Attachments

• 20359043-091B-45DD-B71E-2BEF340AF8ED_1_105_c.jpeg
    20359043-091B-45DD-B71E-2BEF340AF8ED_1_105_c.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 25
I'm heading out to Missoula for the end of August. Gonna be focussing on hopper patterns mostly. Enjoying hearing about the PMD and other patterns to consider.

I've never had any problems catching fish when the PMD's are on using "sulfur" patterns.; I once had a thirty fish evening on the Gallatin during a PMD spinner fall using a fly that had previously done well for me on Spring Creek in PA during a spinner fall early that season (and I mean the same fly, not a different fly of the same pattern.)

In fact, I've never had problems catching fish here in the East during sulfur hatches using patterns that had been sold as PMDs.

The PMD's are dorotheas, so expect them to be in 16 to 18 size range.

I love to use Western patterns out here, and vice versa, especially when imitating similar species and genera. On the Frying Pan PMDsI just use the sulfurs from Valley Creek.

Back