Please Abuse my Tying

Thank you for all the imput and methods i can use for improvement. Keep them coming.

Attachments

• SANY1450.JPG
    SANY1450.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 3
your hackle size looks much better on that one. After making a dry, do this as a test... just place it on the table. If the tail, hook bend, and hackle all touch the surface of the table then it is good. That means it will sit correctly on the surface of the water. You can get away with it being slightly off, but that's a good rule of thumb on the proportions of your dries.

Looks good!

The only thing I see is the wing is too close to the head.

RYGUY wrote:
If the tail, hook bend, and hackle all touch the surface of the table then it is good.

Awsome way for a dry run... Notice its not that crappie black hackle i have. Grizzly & Brown.

MKERN WROTE:
The only thing I see is the wing is too close to the head.

I angled the wings forward there not straight up.

Nobody noticed there is no hen feather on that Zug Bug for legs. Its Leg-less.

Legless if fine. Matter of fact I don't use peacock swords for tails I just use the tips of the peacock. Some with legs, some without.

Still needs some tweeks, but................

Attachments

• SANY1466.JPG
    SANY1466.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 2
Halo Emerger from the book "Fly Tying With Jack Dennis and Friends".

Attachments

• Halo Emerger.JPG
    Halo Emerger.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 2
Bead head PT

Attachments

• Beadhead PT.JPG
    Beadhead PT.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 4
That fly, with a lighter colored partridge hackle and dyed pheasant tail is my staple fly during the sulphurs. Nice tie.

What i did while i was waiting fer da Pizza.

Attachments

• SANY1491.JPG
    SANY1491.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 2
I left the waiting for the pizza ones there, sorry.

Attachments

• Some of the Fleet.JPG
    Some of the Fleet.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice ties...... You already tie better than Tommy C :lol:

:lol: I only wish fredrick maybe after 20 years of tying !!!!!!!
All i know is to get 3 good ones i have to tie 5, most of the time and depending on witch type. I have a feeling 2 of those 3 nymphs in the pic. above to the imediate left might get the ax.
If i keep tying everyday i hope that sometime soon every fly i tie will make the cut.
What's odd are the day i really want too tie are the days i make the most errors, break thread, hackle twists on me, forget rib, or tie over the hook eye, etc. ?

Ugly flies catch more fish!

Fredrick ties world-class brownline patterns. You can learn a lot from him. His actually quite a yea-who too. You guys would get along well.

Yea-who, actually your tying has improved 1000% since I last saw your flies. Keep practicing and asking questions. There are no real shortcuts beyond that.

They all look good to me , there are no short cuts , tie , tie , tie , till one of your fingers burst into flames from the friction , and then tie some more.

I have a quick question.
When i tie cahill style or split hair style wings, they stand up straight till after i wrap the hackle. Weather i want them to tilt forward or not i can't help it.
Now is this a problem or not.

"ugly catch more" afish, "seperate imitation from the real thing" gary, "give the fish something to key on to make it stand out among the 25 others that are real that are hatching."

How do i fix it if need be ?

Bigger thread dam,
Dubb in front of the wing
Don't wrap the hackle so close in the back, and/or closer to the wing in the front.

What Matt said above.

Also when tying Catskill style dries:

1. Get you wings positioned right before you tie your hackle. A little dubbing in front of the wing and/or a thread dam should help position it properly.

2. Keep your wing far back from the eye (1/4 of the shank back). Tying the wing too close to the eye tends to crowd the wing and pushes it forward.

3. Take equal wraps of hackle both in front and behind the wing and don't force the wing forward (or back) when wrapping the hackle. One thing to watch out for when wrapping behind and crossing in front of the wing with the hackle, cross over UNDER the wing and not over, which may pin it down and tilt it forward as you describe.

This video is a decent one for tying a Catskill dry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C18aAaRvyvk

HTH.

Look I got Wings to stand up straight thank you MKERN & Afishanado.(hopefully a fish knocks them down or completly off.)

I got bit by the Ice Dub Bug as you can see in the next two pictures.

Jerseygeorge, I gave the wire rib on a bugger a try (You can Zoom in if you like, its in the Third picture with all the flies from the last week or so.) I don't like the way it knocks down the Hackle Fibers, as you said, i will give it a couple more tries, ya said with practice it will not.

I wish i was a 12 year old indoneaisan kid. I bet I could get a job in a sweat shop for a chain store tying flies for 18 cents an hour. I would not mind it one bit, tying flies 5 days a week for 40 hours. Its kinda like what i was trained and educated to do with "chef-ing it up". Kinda like Cookies or Bruchetta or Creme brulee, without the stress & presure or 20 Pizza's at the same time before the customer waits too long. Or, lubing up at 5 o'clock on a weekend and bending over, because you have no idea what will happen or what to do.
Than there is the whole math thing, Say you make 2 Gallons of soup, no pressure, and it takes you 1 hours.
Now the math part:

128 oz. in gallon=256 oz of soup.
1 hours=$10.
Your employer gets $ 7.00 for a 6 oz. bowl.
Thats 42.67 bowls of soup, minus waste and pilfrig
Say 35 bowls.
$245
Minus your labor $10
$235
Minus products and water used
$225
Hell Sub-tract the amount for the little lady that brings it too the table and the gas used to make it. And the 20 sec. to wash the bowls and Pot.
$200

Don't even get me started on the Catering/Wedding cake/Pizza/Chain Resturaunt, "math thing skam."

Hay America ! Wanna save money and energy, tell Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy all of them Coast too Coast stores, "SHUT YOUR SH&T OFF" even one day a week. There is no reason For the Refrigerators, Freezer, Lights, Ceiling Fans to be on all day.

There is nothing to keep cold in those freezers and Refrigerators, Shut'um Off. No Crappie there cold. AAAAAAAAAAA thats what there meant to do, Now,
Shut'um OfF.
Hay guess what every Ceiling fan spins the same. Now, shut them Off. Clockwise in the summer, Counter clockwise in the winter, now, shut them off, so you can hire me to fill your shelves.

I'm just ranting sorry i'm venting to you guys. But if something don't happen soon i'm gunna have to go back to the F*&%ing kitchen I Have been in different ones since 1996 and sick of it.
They say "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" Well i'm trying.

I would probaly get whipped, though by the slave drivers because tying "don't happen" without a radio & probly in those dirt floor places next too where they make sneakers, next to where they grow the DNA altered chickens with 14 wings and 30 legs to fry, they don't concur with a radio.

"I SORRY" I went off topic.

Attachments

• Catskill Style.JPG
    Catskill Style.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Ice dub PT.JPG
    Ice dub PT.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3-10-2010.JPG
    3-10-2010.JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 3
Those wings look great. Not an easy feather to tie wings with.

Back