Pittsburgh area ?

Just seeing this. Kudos on the determination to get your first fish on the fly during one of the more difficult times of year. I would guess that some of the posters missed that part of your post and maybe that is why they are mentioning some pretty tricky class A water. I might suggest instead looking at some bluegill ponds for now...you were close to some decent ones.

or go back to Buffalo Cr this weekend with some San Juan Worms and buggers. Looks like its gonna be warm and rainy.

Ya gonna try and get out this weekend. Early Saturday will be spent in 2 seperate ice boxes. Son has a 7 am hockey game (which means 545 am departure) and after that my daughter has her figure skating show at 1130 at Valley Sports Complex. All the ticket proceeds going to Toys for Tots. Coffee IV please.
Not sure where I am going to fish yet, as posted may try FFo section of SRC or Buffallo as that is a closer trip.
Thx again, the lack of misinformation on these boards is a really good thing as Albotross told me up at steelhead jam

My son recently became a resident at UPMC, so I expect to soon be spending some time in downtown Pittsburgh. Are there any fly fishing opportunities not too far (i.e. within 30 minutes) of downtown? Doesn't necessarily have to be trout, anything willing to give a fly a tug. Probably won't do any fishing this winter, but would like to start thinking about next spring/summer. Junior spends a fair amount of time at the hospital, so I often will have some free mornings or evenings to get out and fish.

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Well, there's 3 large rivers in town. They all have a pretty good diversity of species, though bass is probably the fly rodder's #1 target. There's bass right in the city, but the farther up you can go on the Allegheny or Mon, the better.

For trout, a couple of stocked fisheries within that distance.

The Yough and the streams in that area are pretty close and a good place to start.

Back