Piscifun Sword

ROVERT

ROVERT

I have a couple of these on rods for my kids. They're pretty decent reels but I have two complaints regarding them. One of the issues is minor. The other I've found quite annoying but have come up with a simple solution.

The minor issue is that the drag changes quite rapidly with each click of the knob. I find a drag with slower adjustment to be more user friendly.

The more significant fault is that the reels completely free spool in the direction of retrieve. These are the only fly reels I've ever used that do this. I wanted to see if something could be done to provide a bit of resistance. My first attempt at doing so seems to have been successful. I slid two (10mm x 2mm) o rings onto the shaft and reinstalled the spool. This provides just the right amount of friction. The o rings will likely fail at some point but are cheap and easily replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_201142833_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231009_201142833_HDR.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20231009_201142833_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20231009_201142833_HDR~2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 21
A free-spool retrieve?! Is the purpose for that setup so one can slap the reel to pick up line without using the handle?

I prefer my spools to spin freely in the retreive mode. Picks up line a lot easier and quicker. Never understood why more reels don't do this.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I very much dislike a reel behaving like a fidget spinner in one direction.

I too, agree with ROVERT, free-spooling is an annoying reel trait that I fail to see has any benefit. You could pick up line faster when done fishing a hole but I don't see why I'd have to pick up line THAT fast. If someone thinks these feature would be beneficial to fight a fish that is running at you that simply wouldn't work. This feature, a feature I have found on cheaper reels, serves only to allow line to fly off of the reel and get bunched up.

That's a nice fix you got there ROVERT, a good a proper fix. My fix for another reel that seems to have only one mode (free-spooling) was to layer duct tape in it until the free-spooling stopped.

I too, agree with ROVERT, free-spooling is an annoying reel trait that I fail to see has any benefit. You could pick up line faster when done fishing a hole but I don't see why I'd have to pick up line THAT fast. If someone thinks these feature would be beneficial to fight a fish that is running at you that simply wouldn't work. This feature, a feature I have found on cheaper reels, serves only to allow line to fly off of the reel and get bunched up.

That's a nice fix you got there ROVERT, a good a proper fix. My fix for another reel that seems to have only one mode (free-spooling) was to layer duct tape in it until the free-spooling stopped.
I hand strip in the majority of my trout. When I have a ton of slack line out when fighting a fish I love to just slap the reel and let it pick up that slack line.

Back