Pink salmon in Erie tribs

Good question, lots of us around Erie wonder the same. Some say every so many years the pinks will migrate to the south shores of Lake Erie, who knows why, could be spawning, could be a food source that attracts, could be weather/water related . Each year I see them caught in the Lake trolling walleye/steelhead but have never seen so many as this year, as well as a good number of them being seen and caught in the tribs. The Great Lakes are pretty wild, you never know what is going on in that water from year to year.

krott243 wrote:
Good question, lots of us around Erie wonder the same. Some say every so many years the pinks will migrate to the south shores of Lake Erie, who knows why, could be spawning, could be a food source that attracts, could be weather/water related . Each year I see them caught in the Lake trolling walleye/steelhead but have never seen so many as this year, as well as a good number of them being seen and caught in the tribs. The Great Lakes are pretty wild, you never know what is going on in that water from year to year.

What is the source of the pinks? The PFBC? Club hatcheries? Other?

troutbert wrote:
krott243 wrote:

I don't think any clubs or 3CU has stocked any salmon recently. According to the PFBC they have not stocked salmon in Erie since 2003, at that time I believe it was nothing but cohos, with coho and Chinook stockings prior to that. Supposedly pinks were never stocked in PA and were said to have migrated from Lake Superior when they were part of British Columbia stocks in the 1950's. I know there is natural reproduction occurring in tribs along Lake Erie, I'd imagine NY tribs produce more natural salmonid than PA tribs due to water condtions/temps. I know of tribs of tribs in Erie,PA were cohos will migrate to each year to spawn, I have never seen pinks like that or have ever caught salmon fry to know for sure how effective their spawning is though.

I have read that PFBC will stock Coho when available to them, how often that happens or if this is something that is even documented, I don't know.

It's not just your eyes playing tricks on you. The steelhead coming into Lake Erie's tributary streams in recent years are smaller than before.

On average, at least.

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission biologists have been capturing and measuring steelhead caught in a weir at the mouth of Godfrey Run for the last six years. They're noticed the size of the average adult fish has declined by about 2.4 inches over that time, said Chuck Murray, head of the commission's Lake Erie research unit.

Fish 26 to 30 inches are more scarce than they once were, having been replaced by more and more “jacks,” or fish in the 16- to 18-inch range.

The commission's plan is to weigh rather than just measure the fish it handles at Godfrey Run this year to analyze their condition and see if it's just that there are fewer fish older than age 4 or if it's a health issue.

“We're going to try to do a little more investigation,” Murray said.

As for the overall numbers of steelhead returning to the streams each fall, Murray said what anglers have seen in the last few years is likely to be the new norm.

As recently as 2004-05, anglers were landing about 0.6 steelhead per hour, he said. That was at a time when walleye numbers in Lake Erie were at historic lows.

Now, with the population of walleyes — which eat steelhead smolts when they're in Lake Erie — back up, steelhead catch rates have dropped to about 0.3 to 0.4 fish per hour.

“That's probably a more realistic catch rate that we can maintain,” Murray said.

That's still good, he said. That works out to about one steelhead caught for every 2.8 hours of fishing, he said. On the West Coast, in places like Oregon, a good steelhead fishery is one where anglers get one fish for every 20 hours of trying, he added.

— Bob Frye

Wild Outdoors Blog

troutbert wrote:
krott243 wrote:

Just Google anything to find answers to your questions:

Pink Salmon and the Great Lakes

In 1959, two mysterious fish angled from Minnesota tributaries of Lake Superior were identified as pink salmon. This prompted inquiries by fisheries officials on both sides of the border into how these smallest of the Pacific salmon ended up in Superior.

The trail led to the Port Arthur Hatchery at Thunder Bay, where pink salmon had been raised for stocking in Hudson Bay. The project, intended to provide a sport and commercial fishery, saw the collection of nearly 800,000 pink salmon eggs from B.C.'s Skeena River in 1955. In 1956, fingerlings were planted in Goose Creek, a tributary of Hudson Bay. The Superior connection came from a Department of Lands and Forests employee who remembered spilling about 100 fish into the lake while loading an Otter aircraft destined for Goose Creek. The hatchery's manager also swept about 350 remaining pinks from hatchery troughs and planted them near Pie Island in Superior.

In 1961, pinks angled from the Pigeon and Nipigon Rivers, and one netted in Black Bay, were the first to be taken from Ontario waters. Subsequent odd years saw increasing numbers spawning in Superior tributaries. Fisheries officials were amazed pink salmon could survive and reproduce in Lake Superior. Even more surprising was that the population was apparently established from a planting of fewer than 500 fingerlings. It wasn't until 1967 that a former hatchery worker revealed that a much larger introduction had occurred. After the last planeload of pinks left for Hudson Bay, 21,000 remained at the Port Arthur Hatchery. All were discarded into a sewer leading to the Current River, which delivered the fingerlings to Lake Superior. Hatchery workers likely believed the fish would not survive in Superior, and dumping them was a convenient way to get rid of the excess. Ironically, while nearly 750,000 salmon planted up north disappeared without a trace, the 21,000 fingerlings tossed into Superior thrived.

Over the next 20 years pink salmon spread to every suitable Superior tributary. Every second year the rivers were thick with spawning fish. In 1979, Wawa District even issued 608 permits to dip-net pinks.

They worked their way through all the Great Lakes, reaching Huron by 1969, Michigan by 1973, Erie and Ontario by 1979.

Link to source: http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=373

These are all wild fish?

Are no pink salmon propagated by any hatcheries in the Lake Erie watershed?

acristickid wrote:Now, with the population of walleyes — which eat steelhead smolts when they're in Lake Erie — back up, steelhead catch rates have dropped to about 0.3 to 0.4 fish per hour.

I've caught walleye on a fly rod before but the biggest walleye I've ever caught was on a huge rainbow trout smolt Rapala in the middle of the night off of a small stream in the lake.

As far as pinks...I caught a salmonid years ago that had a huge humped back and my friend said, "that looks like a salmon" but I figured they aren't stocked so that's impossible. In hindsight it was probably a sammin.

troutbert wrote:
These are all wild fish?

Are no pink salmon propagated by any hatcheries in the Lake Erie watershed?

I don't know if they are all wild, but it is a safe bet that some of them are.

My understanding is that there are at least some tribs that do support a reproducing population of pinks. At least 1 of those may have been a PA trib. I don't remember where I got that information, and I will not name the trib(s) either. But I heard that more than 15 years ago.

Good to see they are still around and they seem to be spreading to other tribs.

I almost went up this weekend just to check them out.

So where are these fish coming from if they are not wild? Is this just a big year for them? I thought the stocks of pinks were gone a while ago. It's really cool to see them back and hopefully continuing to spawn.

Big-Bass wrote:
So where are these fish coming from if they are not wild? Is this just a big year for them? I thought the stocks of pinks were gone a while ago.

You may have thought wrong. ;-)

My understanding is that they have been in the lakes since the 50s. there were still a small remnant reproducing population in one or more Lake Erie tributaries. Every couple years I would hear of one or two being caught.

Although first introduced to Lake Superior in he 50s, I read on a Michigan State DNR page that Lake Huron has the biggest population.

But it is apparently a big year for them here, which does cause me to suspect that more might have been secretly stocked or "escaped" from a hatchery. Either that, or something happened to cause fair numbers to move downstream? It would be interesting to know if the Huron runs were good this year. The page I linked said they have their best runs on odd years.

It's only my opinion and I certainly can't prove any of this, other than they are there. I hope it continues.

It is an interesting subject.

Maybe some day i will make it up there early enough to catch, or at least see one.

I quick internet search produced articles about them from 2014 and 2012 as well.

A big one was caught while electrofishing a small tributary in Cleveland in 2014. Would have been a new state record.

It's likely that they never completely left and could all be a result of natural reproduction.

It is fact that the streams and the lake itself are cleaner now than they were in the last century. This could be a result.

Good to hear about the pinks. As someone else said, there are some tribs in Erie that DO hold natural reproduction, and have been doing so for years.

There is a few streams that have coho year after year, and apparently these pinks are getting the job done too although I personally don't know where.

Last year on one of the said streams with coho repro, I saw 7 cohos in one pod, along with a stray king. Interesting to say the least.

Last December I was fishing on 16 mile right below, I think, the first waterfall you come to. In the churning water below that falls I was drifting a nymph and thought I caught a creek chub but when I brought it to hand it was a 5" long brookie. Must of flushed out of a trib or something.

So first there's Pinks showing up, which I'm guessing either a large school of migrated from Huron or an eastern Erie trib like the Catt. Next, someone says they see 7 Cohos and a Chinook, and next a native Brook out of 16 mile?

This world no longer makes sense to me. Lmao.

But in all seriousness. Brown71, not asking for the specific stream, I understand wanting to keep a gem like that a secret, but is it a PA trib or just Erie in general?

As far as the Brookie goes, I have a feeling that far enough up many of the feeder creeks of the major Tribs, there's decent populations of wild Browns and native Brooks, maybe even wild resident Rainbows if, for example, steelhead made it up the tiny creeks in high water, managed to spawn successfully, and the fry were trapped in the creeks due to low water. Man, I really need a solid week to explore as much of Erie's flowing water as possible in the spring of fall, bet there's some really good stuff in the lesser known watersheds.

It is in PA. There are also a few streams that get coho or king in western NY Erie tribs too. They are pretty well known, tribs to larger tribs.

Guess I'll be doing some exploring this fall then haha. I'd love to even just see a big male spawning Coho, such good looking fish when they get the bright red on them.

Char Master-

It's unusual but it you put your time in you will see some salmon in erie tribs. Personally, I've never seen a pink but I've heard of some, and I only fish NY erie tribs.

I can't speak for everyone, but I've seen and caught 100s of Cohos and I've only seen a 2 that turned red, and both were in the Salmon River.

My best advice if you want to see salmon is to find gravel in streams as far as possible from the lake. Every salmon I've seen in erie tribs have been on gravel.

I've seen seven or eight Pinks so far in the Tribs this year, but they're always oblivious to whatever flies I throw at them, even if it drifts right on to their nose. Caught (and revived/release) three nice ones (16-20"). in the lake back in July trolling pink and purple spoons down 40-70' in 100 FOW, but I guess Pacifics don't do any feeding once they're in spawning mode either. Never seen a Coho or Chinook in creeks in person anywhere. My only experience with salmon so far has been in open water, like I said 3 Pinks in Erie in July as well as 2 small Chinooks and 1 lost Atlantic in Lake O in August.

Saw my first pink salmon yesterday.

Took my wife out to a late lunch up near the lake. I figured, while were were up there, why not take a drive over to PA.

While we were by the dam at trout run, watching all the fish, a couple guys came walking over, one of them with a long handled net.

I was watching them, and the one guy said, fishing rods are over-rated as the other crossed over the guard rail.

Recognizing then that they were wardens, I told him I preferred DuPont spinners.

They were there just cleaning the leaves out of wooden barrier.

He said they saw 5 pinks in that upper pool that morning. There were so many jacks that I could tell the difference. I did eventually see a humpy in the lower pool. It is probably the first one I've seen. First one I've seen that I was sure it was a pink at least.

Was also looking for browns, but didn't see any.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I always forget the camera and cel phone was dead.

Back