Pine creek

Troutbum15

Troutbum15

Im going to be living in Williamsport area for about the next ten months. I have been reading a lot about pine creek. Is it worth saving the drive to big fishing or spring for this stream? From the information I looked up it seemed pine creek was a stocked stream with a nice scenery so I was figuring it would be all fished out by this point but I could be wrong. Thanks

All three are worth it

Pine Creek gets very warm in the summer. (Except for way up towards the headwaters, which is a long drive from Williamsport.)

There is decent smallmouth bass fishing in Pine Creek in the summer though.

And there are many tribs to Pine Creek, and smallish forested streams throughout the region, that hold wild trout year around.

Right now the wild trout freestone streams are very low. As soon we get some rains, go out and fish them.

Pine Creek is too warm right now...go fish the river for bass, musky, etc

bigjohn58 wrote:
Pine Creek is too warm right now...go fish the river for bass, musky, etc

Not for the Smallies, they're probably dialed in. No need to necessarily go the whole way to the river to find Bass.

The Trout in Pine are either in the tribs, at their mouths, or sitting deep over spring seeps. Avoid the mouths of tribs, and you won't be bothering them. The ones hunkered over a spring seep won't be interested in eating.

Spot on Swattie.......right around July the big pine flips over and becomes great smallie water. Go fish!

Drift a #10 golden retriever under an indicator....or tie on a #10 Satsop stone dry towards dusk. :)

Go to Penns Creek!

Tons of great water within an hour of Williamsport. Pine, little pine, Lycoming Creek and loyalsock Creek will all fish well this fall, many of their tribs do year round. The west branch near Williamsport is an awesome part of the river as well. You can also be to big fishing Creek, spring, and Penn's in about an hour.

If he lives in Williamsport then its pointless to go to Pine Creek for the smallie fishing...we have the West Branch flowing right through town! A lot bigger smallies in the river then up Pine Creek! When I was a kid 20 years ago we used to fish Pine for smallies but that was before the West Brach was really good.

Certainly not the best smallie fishing to be had. But I wouldnt rule Pine out because it is too hot for trout. Plenty of good fishing to be had.

bigjohn58 wrote:
If he lives in Williamsport then its pointless to go to Pine Creek for the smallie fishing

Ah, got ya. Missed that the OP would already be in Williamsport, and driving to Pine. I thought it was the opposite...thought he was near Pine, and driving to Williamsport. Agree in that sense then.

If it were me, I would pack a cooler and head to Pine Creek. More fishing options and the surroundings are beautiful. My daily commute one way is 45 minutes to an hour... So to me, an hour drive to some place like Pine creek is nothing.

one hour from Williamsport Tioga river with big smallies and pickerel !
1 1/2 hour on the Chemung huge smallies, walleye, largemouth, musky and pike and no one there for miles of solitude fishing. just ask beeber II

sandfly wrote:
one hour from Williamsport Tioga river with big smallies and pickerel !
1 1/2 hour on the Chemung huge smallies, walleye, largemouth, musky and pike and no one there for miles of solitude fishing. just ask beeber II

Chemung? Anyways going to be hard to find bigger smallies and numbers then what we have in the Susquehanna or bigger musky and walleye. Only place that can really compete with the size of smallies we get out of there is the Juniata or Lake Erie. Also scenery and wildlife wise the majority of the Susquehanna river (main and West Branch, I don't fish the North) when on the river is just as wild as the Pine Creek area.

Just got back from the Pine. Smallies are on like donkey kong.

Thanks for all the input

sasquatch, about what area where you?

Darling Run access downstream. The lower you go, the better it'll be. Darling Run is still pretty "high" upstream. I'm sure lower areas like Slate Run are slamming w/ bass right now.

I always had great small mouth fishing on pine

Back