Pine creek

rfbernhard

rfbernhard

Went to pine creek on friday, my first trip there. It was very busy at the delayed harvest area by 8am. Slate run tackle shop was also very busy. So we went way up stream. My buddy rolled a nice brown. However by 9:30 10 o'clock people were scattered everywhere. Little too busy for my taste. I think I there was every licence plate from Arizona to New Hampshire. Also a bunch of people in canoes, kayaks and float tubes. Thought it would be ok on a Friday morning, but I guess not. Just a little fyi.

I don't mind seeing a few other people but that place is a circus. I drove through over the weekend and saw one stretch that had 10 fly fishermen, all nearly within casting distance from the next guy. I did have the whole thing to myself one day in March... when it was 32 degrees with sustained 15-20 mile an hour winds and gusts up to 30mph. lol. Funny thing was that was probably my most productive day I've ever had up there.

Everyone can crowd Pine all they want. I was up Thursday thru Saturday. I fished Pine for two hours on Friday evening. The rest of the trip I didn't come across one other fisherman.

I never see a crowd where I am on pine, just the lower canyon area because of the stocking there.

I went by there on Sunday afternoon, saw a few people fishing Pine below Waterville and just one guy fishing the river at Slate Run. That's all. Lots of tubers and kayaks further down river.

Do they stock pine from ansonia to above galeton?

Did I just hit it on an unusually busy day? Maybe I'll give it another shot. Should I go way up stream?

I'd really like to fish it brother was up looks very scenic but he said it was packed and usually is.

The opportunity to hook a big trout is an incredible draw. The special regs. section went from 1.1 miles of crowed water to 2.8 miles of crowded water. It's ridiculous the number of folks fishing. Now that the water levels drop and water temps rise when we get the hot weather back I'm sure the mortality rate due to catching badly stressed fish will rise significantly/substantially. Folks believe that if a fish swims off after release it will survive. Not true.

There are those in the PCV who advocate fishing early mornings and evenings when the weather is hot and the water is warm. They just won't accept that when the water is 70 or more degrees in early morning it's o.k. to stress these fish even further. The water temp rises throughout the day and by evening it's much higher than morning temp. The fish have little if any chance to recover if they're caught.

I don't fish there myself anymore and I won't guide there if the water temp reaches the lowest 70's.

Right on Old Lefty. 100% agree. I fished around the Darling Run access the 2nd week in June one year, in a wet, mild June, and the water was already pushing 70. I didn't expect it. I started catching fall fish and smallies and thought that was odd, so I took a temp. Sure enough, borderline too warm already. I left and went above the canyon.

Pine can get crowded. Easy access all around the special regs area, big water with great hatches, plus the scenery is a huge draw. But you can get awesome hatches and great scenery on a lot of streams in that area and not see another living soul.

Mcwillja,
pine from Ansonia, gets stocked from state, local clubs, and private residents (big browns and rainbows) I would say it rivals the slate run area only less people

Ok thanks for the info

Back