pine creek

sandfly

sandfly

There's still flys hatching on Pine, unreal. checked with my insect guru and he told what there are. size 12 tannish caddis females have no wings and swim to shore. males can fly. this warm weather is crazy. seeing stone flys as well along with some slate drakes and a few b.w.o.'s

Any chance these flies are always hatching but no one sees them because of bad weather most years? I see little stones most of the year, they seem to hatch sporadically all year, though I doubt they are all the same species.

Enjoy it while you can because the weather patterns are about to shift for us (according to Pcray!?)!!!!

FISH ? to busy rebuilding and hunting right now, maybe when beeber2 comes up.

Hey I'm coming up after the weather change.

lets hope it doesn't change before then..

get the axe and chop...lol
or fish for carp up by the U.S.G.S. building

Drill a hole in the ice and cast, it's tough to fish streamers under to ice though.

Brad once the water gets to cold the hatches will stop and the nymphs will burrow done into the bottom substrate till water temps come up again. try finding nymphs in the winter very hard to do unless you dig down in the gravel or mud.

Brad,
If the stream freezes over the hatches are ok...its if the streambed freezes or forms anchor ice that there is trouble.Water has dissolved oxygen and if its moving fast enough it doesn't freeze.But if its really low an the temps stay low enough and the water isnt running it will form Anchor Ice. thats bad juju when it forms its also bad when ice breaks up an grinds everything to mush.

I'm talking about current hatches...how do they know to stop hatching when it freezes over? Do the hatched adults swim back down & tell the nymphs to burrow down into the bottom substrate when they hit their heads on the ice? This also brings up the question of the very 1st mayfly to hatch, how did it know it had to fly upstream before it layed it's eggs?

I'm talking about current hatches...how do they know to stop hatching when it freezes over?

The hatches are mostly driven by water temperature, the amount of light and the maturity of the nymphs. The days are obviously pretty short right now and most of the nymphs are going to be immature. The ones that are mature enough to hatch will be pretty cold when the water temperature drops and most won't move around too much once it does so.

I kept a bug tank last year and I put snow in it to keep the bugs from hatching early. Most of the bugs still hatched early by around a week. I blame my aquarium light for some of that.

Some bugs will continue to hatch all winter, but if there is a thaw, bugs will definitely hatch during the thaw. Then after the subsequent freeze, things will grind to a halt again.
Caveat; Stone flies will hatch when they hatch no matter the weather, from Feb 1 on through spring.

Back