Pine Creek watershed probable issue

Heritage-Angler wrote:
It'd be cool if the fly shops up there - Big Meadows, Slate Run Tackle, and McConnell's - could set up gear wash stations at their respective shops, and/or streamside.

Wouldn't cost much to set up, and they could provide educational material and advise to help prevent angler spreading of this invasive.

John Arway said: “We may not be able to eliminate didymo from an infected waterway, but there are easy steps we can take to slow its spread and to prevent it from spreading to other waters,”.

H-A says a wash station wouldn't cost much.

I don't understand. The methods given to eliminate this stuff from your gear look neither easy nor cheap.

1. The PFBC recommends that anglers allow exposed equipment to completely dry before entering new waters. After equipment is dry to the touch, allow it to dry another 48 hours,

Not going to happen.

2. Soaking equipment in hot water containing dishwashing detergent (two cups of detergent for every two and a half gallons of water) for 20 minutes or more also will kill didymo and some other aquatic invasive species.

Two Cups of detergent is more dish washing detergent than I have used in the last four years @ camp. How do I keep enough water to soak 4 sets of wader/boots hot for 20 mins? Is the hot water from the hot water heater hot enough? I usually have running water in the camp until late May, how do I do it without running water?

3. Cleaning boats and equipment with hot water (maintained at 140 degrees Fahrenheit) by pressure washing.

A cheap hot water pressure washer is $1500.

4. a commercial hot water car wash

Is there one of these in the Pine Creek Vally?

5. freezing items solid for at least 24 hours is effective

Not an option.

Can someone explain how easy, cheap and effective solution?

Shortrod,

I understand your conundrum. When basing out of a camp with no running water or electricity, your options are limited. On extended trips I have the same problem.

I would think your answer lies in harsher detergents. Clorox will do it. Just gotta be careful not to ruin your gear. Rinse your waders in it, then with water. Rinse your boots, then with water. If you wear felts, leave an inch or so in a plastic tub, only deep enough to hit the felt but not soak the uppers. Set them in there for a little while, then rinse with water.

That's about all you can do, if say, fishing multiple streams in the Pine Creek watershed. When you fish 2 or 3 streams a day for 3 days straight, you just can't have that many sets of gear to trade out and allow to fully dry.

Saltwater may be a preferred option to clorox. Less harsh on fabrics. Harsher on metals, so be sure to rinse the eyelits of your boots and such well with fresh water.

A brine washing station was exactly what I was thinking of. They're being set up at other places where Didymo is found.

Are they effective? Dunno, but the educational aspect of these stations would likely raise awareness of the problem - at least get people thinking of possible better options for cleaning gear.

Here's an article that explains more about it from the Yough.

The TU chapter that built these stations stated the stations cost $50 or $60 bucks (with some donated materials). The upkeep would be the worst part, I would think.

It's better than doing nothing, IMO.

Heritage, I think these stations are more of a feel-good effort than an effective cure. But as you noted, they are educative. All the boot-washing in the world will not stop this menace from spreading. I am not even convinced it will slow it down. But,... I washed my boots when I saw one, for what that was worth.

Maryland has had wader wash stations on its blue ribbon streams for at least the last several years. Regrettably, I have never seen anyone use them and many have fallen into disrepair in the last couple years. I do agree, however, that these stations can play a good role in education as they're well marked with signs and pictures of didymo.

I think the stations are a great idea mainly to spread the awareness. The first time I ever heard of Didymo was at a TCO up by the Ausable. I was only 15 or so (6 years ago) and I remember seeing a washing station outside of their store. It was a bucket of a solution and a piece of printer paper with a picture of rock snot with a brief description explaining the terrors.

Worked for me, because that image is burned into my brain. Not saying that I haven't fished a new stream with wet/untreated gear...but I do think about it 100% more than I would have before. I'd probably still have felt soles that I store in my dark garage if it weren't for that sign.

Back