Pine Creek Staying in Gaines. What would you do?

M

mikepafly123

We are renting a place for Friday and Saturday night up in Raines right on Pine Creek. I am not familiar with the area. I know that the section we are staying on stocked with fish but I am debating heading down to Slate run because I hear that is a good section to hit up. DO you think it would be worth the drive to fish the C&R section or just stay above the gorge and fish? Floating down through would probably not be an option because the wife wont want to spend that many hours in a canoe/Raft.

Do you mean Gaines? I used to fish above the canyon quite a bit (Owassee Rd) but it has been quite a while. I fished below Slate Run last year. I was there on a Friday morning and it was seeing heavy usage. I'd be inclined to try close to where you are staying first.

Looks like this trip is going to be a bust. The creek is running at over 3.0 and according to slate run fly shop it is not able to be waded at this level.

If Pine is running that high, you should check out Pine Creek Outfitters and raft the canyon. We (Boy Scout Troop) just went up a few weeks ago but it was too low so we floated and kayaked the Upper Pine. Great group of people and a fun float trip. The canyon would be better if the flows are up.

mikepafly123 wrote:
Looks like this trip is going to be a bust. The creek is running at over 3.0 and according to slate run fly shop it is not able to be waded at this level.

Exactly where are you staying? Is it Gaines & not Raines? If it's Gaines you are not near Slate Run. You are way farther upstream. The streams up here are fine.

mikepafly123 wrote:

When the big creeks like Pine are too high, the tributaries are at their best.

I'm up in Gaines starting tomorrow. I am not real familiar with the area. The cabin is right on pine creek near the old antlers inn. Any suggestions on other streams that would be decent to check out? Seems lots of rain forecasted for tomorrow. We are biking tomorrow and canoeing sat. I will try to fish sat evening and Sunday morning. Any advice is appreciated

Go to Big Meadows Fly Shop in Ansonia. Bob will put you on fish. The smaller streams should be in lovely shape.

Back