Pine Creek @ Slate Run worth the effort?

Wild_Trouter

Wild_Trouter

I have never fished Pine Creek at the village of Slate Run. Youtube is awash with video of stockings from the brown trout club/Slate Run Fly Shop etc. Do any of you fish it, and if so, what's the verdict? I imagine the area is a zoo. Are there certain times to go or other stream sections offering quality fishing? How are water temps generally in the Summer? I'm typically a wild trout guy but I must admit that catching a hog in big water is somewhat appealing for an occasional change of pace. Any info/insight is appreciated.

I'm a fan of that section.

Big beautiful water and great hatches are a nice break from what I'm familiar with down here in SCPA. However, it can be crowded and it does have temp problems in summer. When I'm in the area after Memorial Day, I'm meticulous in taking water temps and going elsewhere when they're too high, which is often the case.

Broadly speaking, I consider any trip there after about mid-June as risky for trout fishing. There are some stockings in the fall, but my autumn trips have not been as good for me. I've never fished it in winter but if this winter turns out as mild as last winter, it might be worth a run up there.

In the dear departed days of yesteryear, I occasionally fished Slate and less often Cedar Run. I enjoyed some wonderful days on Slate, with the trout being a lot larger than you'd figure for a creek that size. I have heard that recently the fishing has not been as good.

I, too, have thought of driving up to fish "the stretch" on Pine Creek. I think it could be fun. What stops me: didymo, aka rock snot. I'd be afraid of spreading it to other streams, even if I did clean my waders properly.

However, if you know how to clean waders so that you'll kill the didymo, I'll be you could have some fun on Pine Creek. I, too, have seen the videos of their stocking of the fish, and I am surprised how colorful -- attractive -- these big stocked trout appear to be.

I think it would be a beautiful place to catch and release some of these big trout.

I've even pondered your question.
I'm with rrt but I certainly wouldn't travel just to fish it.

fishing above the canyon is just as good with no rock snot and cooler temps. no crowds either

I appreciate the insight fellas. My New Year's resolution was to explore even more in 2018 further north and mix things up a bit. I don't like crowds so thought I'd ask before planning a visit. It is good to know there may be other options available on Pine to get away.

Sandfly is very correct.
I rarely run into an angler from Antonia to Galeton.
Never above Galeton really.

The fishing can be top notch in the early season too

Back