Pine Creek levels!

2016 was very similar. Very dry July - Sept. Rains came in early Oct. About a week or so after I was up.

Fortunately temps have cooled off. I saw Kettle in the low 50’s at Cross Fork. Big thing now is they need rain to be able to move to spawn. Hopefully early October brings a change in pattern and the rain, like in 2016.

Pine at Slate Run on Friday.

Attachments

• 0F1A9356-23B2-4E21-BE9D-D3F314231F2A.jpeg
    0F1A9356-23B2-4E21-BE9D-D3F314231F2A.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 5
dkile wrote:
BradFromPotter that's hard to imagine. Thanks for sharing.

So you are a film shooter? Nice medium format camera. I thinks it has been a long time since I checked out your camp photos. Great to see all your film work.

100 % film for my personal work. The closeup of the tree roots I used a Minolta autocord TLR from the late 50's. The photo of Pine I used a Pentax 67.

Here's a link to a project I've been working on for the last couple of years. "Intimate Landscapes of the PA Wilds"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/babireley/albums/72157713409990533

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Brad,

My wife and I have a vacation scheduled for the first week of October. We'll be staying in a cabin up on Rte 44 near Haneyville. We chose the spot because it's almost equidistant to Kettle or Pine.

We went the same time last year and while the stream levels were not good, they were better last year than they are today.

If the weather continues as it has, and it surely looks like it will, I might drawn buckets of water at the cabin and shuttle them out to the streams.

The only encouraging thing is that you will likely get frost up north this weekend and the long range forecast will keep the nights cool, and the daytime temperatures will remain reasonable too.

But there will be precious little water anywhere, unless things change drastically.

Given my incredible luck Tropical Storms Epsilon and Phi will hit on consecutive days.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
It's been right around 29-30 the last couple of nights! Right now no chance of rain until Sunday! Which is only 50%!

troutbert wrote:
Sad to see streams "down in the rocks" like that.

And the black and white photos are awesome.

Could you tell us a bit about how you did that photography?

Glad you like the photos!

As far as how I did the photography...Camera is always on the tripod. I use a handheld meter to get my exposure. I normally bracket the exposures. Normally 1 stop over & 1 stop under what my meter reading is.

Re Post 24:

I went and looked at the pics on the link. Amazing! That is really a wonderful set of photos, and I would think that you could put them together and make a nice book of photos. I would think that it is very difficult to take such fine photos in black-and-white.

(The de-watered pic shows how sad things are during this drought, too. I hope we get some much-needed rain soon.)

I was up to Pine last weekend when the gauge at Cedar Run read .85 feet. If I knew how to post pictures I’d show you what the stream looks like at the Blackwell bridge. With all these rocks so exposed I’m not optimistic about the nymph population producing decent hatches for years to come. A walk up Slate Run will break your heart.

Saw these pics of Pine Creek on FB :-o

Need rain soon!

Attachments

• Pine Creek.jpg
    Pine Creek.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Pine Creek 2.jpg
    Pine Creek 2.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 2
I listened to NOAA weather radio this morning. Extended outlook from 9/29 to 10/5 is below normal temps and above normal precipitation. Let's hope they're right.

Even if we get biblical rains, the damage is done. I'm not fishing northern pa this year. Let the trout that survive have a break, and hopefully make it through the winter. I've seen alot of the creeks i love to fish, and just amazed at the low levels of water, and sometimes, no water!! Hopefully we have a brutal, snowy winter, and next spring is glorious.

bikerfish wrote:
Even if we get biblical rains, the damage is done. I'm not fishing northern pa this year. Let the trout that survive have a break, and hopefully make it through the winter. I've seen alot of the creeks i love to fish, and just amazed at the low levels of water, and sometimes, no water!! Hopefully we have a brutal, snowy winter, and next spring is glorious.

hope we don't get too cold of temps without getting the stream levels up! Because then we have to worry about anchor ice!

Back