Pictures

Well one thing I think everybody can agree on is that we all have a greater desire to do what we can to help the fish back to the water to fight another day. I know my fathers generation was all about catch and keep and to let a legal size fish go was just unheard of. Lodges and guides would post pic's of customers with rows of fish along their side. For the most part I think those days are gone. Its great to see those that really go to exstreams to put the fish back in a healthy and unharmed condition, I think thats great. But I also don't see a problem with those that may take a little more liberty's to capture a moment in time that they want to remember. As someone has already said there is going to be some mortality in the sport no matter how you handle them. To stop fishing as a way of protecting them I think long term would only do more harm. A lot of bucks go to groups to help protect their enviroment from natural and man made dangers. To not have the sportman as part of this would only shut those efforts down. If getting more shutter bugs involved will support conservation efforts, then how can they be denied that picture when their dollars are going to help with their survival. Maybe some day the world will be perfect.

Now-- lets pick on the HUNTERS! :-D

Well said PlumBob!

Trying to lay guilt trips on others by claiming they are picking on anglers does not change the fact that we can see by the way some display fish in their photo's that they really aren't following the spirit of catch and release.Which is do the least damage to the fish in the C&R process.Can anyone seriously argue that point?
Its their fish,their prerogative but no need to insult others by claiming they are anti-fishing .lol

Jack for what it's worth, I was objecting to people holding up large fish with one hand. That wee little thing is fully supported.

Padraic wrote:
Jack for what it's worth, I was objecting to people holding up large fish with one hand. That wee little thing is fully supported.

Where's the dang moderators when you need them?

Anyhow, I wasn't addressing your comment with my monster brookie, just sharing a memory is all.

I think there is some validity on both sides of this discussion. Sometimes I do see pics where the fish looks like it has been rolled in sand or mud or dry leaves and I think "ouch." However, there are also a fair number of scolds here who, in my opinion, take concern for the fish too far. I don't think anybody has solid studies to back this up either way, but I have spent a lot of time on heavily fished streams over the years and my sense is that if a large percentage of fish that were handled out of the water or handled with dry hands or other poor practices died as a result, we'd see a lot more dead fish than we do. I don't see the harm in taking an occasional picture of a nice fish. Of course, people should take a little care to minimize any harm - briefly holding up a well-supported fish with wet hands, or at worst placing a wet fish on a grass bank or clean rocks (again, briefly). As long as they do that, I don't have a problem with it. I also find it a little distasteful when folks starting insinuating that others are vain or greedy or whatever because they take an occasional fish picture. Not only is it unjustified and unkind, there are more effective ways to convince people to improve their fish handling practices.

Very well said Will. I've seen those studies about mortality rates with, fly vs. bait and I do think they hold some validity. However, I also think they are a bit askew. A lip hookup is a lip hookup with bait or with a fly. I think the mortality study is based on the premise that a fish doesn't swallow a fly, therefore, lip hookups are more common. I don't disagree this point, but there are some very good C&R bait fishermen out there who are able to hook the trout in the lip. I have seen trout SWALLOW flys though. The studies I've seen also point out that if you further want to reduce the mortality while fishing, pinch the barb or use barbless hooks.

The important message here is IMHO being overlooked by one side vs. the other. That is, take as much care as possible when handling fish. Regardless of whether you're taking a picture or removing a hook.

I'll echo the "will got it right" sentiment.

I don't take too many pictures because in the streams where I catch my biggest fish, I don't often fish from the bank. It's a real pain to get all that stuff done when standing waist deep in the water.

I'll refrain from posting pics of the last giant pally I caught... The backdrop isn't too fish-friendly looking. I couldn't find any wet grass or rocks when holding him over the kitchen sink. :p

In all honesty, taking that fish was a triple blessing. 1. I got to give him to a taxidermist friend who needed work. 2. once he was gone, all the bait fishermen left, thus saving tons of little brownies from taking deep hooks. 3. I finally get to take a glory shot of one of my big fish. I've only killed two trout that I've caught on fly, and I usually fish alone. They are often only pictured in my memory.

As has been stated before by some on this board ad nauseum (including myself) that there is a difference between individual fish mortality and declining fish populations......fish handling practices definitely have an influence on the former but you'll have a hard time convincing me they have a signifigant influence on the latter.

So I really don't think it matters, either you'll kill it or the heron will......we might actually enjoy fishing more if we didn't take these things so seriously.

A vanity picture is of something you are proud of be it a fish,girl friend,kid or in my case the truly awesome roses I grow[you want to see pictures,lol].I in no way shape or form meant to a imply anyone was vain.sorry if it came across that way.
However I am posting this to say don't for a second think because you don't see dead fish doesn't mean there aren't a lot of them,for whatever reasons.All bodies of waters with fish are constantly being patrolled by scavengers looking for a tasty meal.
All that can be asked is anyone who loves the sport live up to the spirit of catch and release if they are going to practice it.I am sure anyone who cares enough to be here does.Sometimes we may not take into account fish were designed to have water support their weight so we need to take upmost care when we have them out of water.The bigger they are the more injury likely if we pose them on river run gravel and they jump around for example.I think we are in danger of overkilling ourselves here.lol

I beg your pardon...
I never promised you a rose garden...
Just watch out for the pri...um...jaggers

Well,that shut me up-for a while.lol

In case you are wondering I took those during my last trip to Boise. They have this huge rose garden in the middle of one of the city parks.

There are countless studies on handling of trout, most of them inconclusive as to the mortality involved. I think most anglers put too much emphasis on handling of fish as a mortality factor. One study I saw said that there was no difference in whether the hand was wet or dry regarding mortality. Another said that over playing fish had a higher rate of mortality if the fish had to be revived. Others have said differently.

JackM wrote:
Where's the dang moderators when you need them?

3.jpg

Here's one!

And it's also a good example of how to hold a large fish.

And to answer Will. I don't believe or at least intend to accuse anyone of anything. Just say that seeing carelessness of the sort in some of the pictures people post makes me cringe.

We have all done it, so I don't think villifying people is appropriate. But we are all here to learn about fly fishing technique, conservation and other issues around our sport, so... I like to think that we all would resolve to do better when we know better in this and other issues.

Back