Picked up a Passport

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Got a good deal on closeout at ...sigh...Cabelas.com for a Winston Passport for like $140 shipped. Any reviews on them from members here? I know they are made overseas but I have heard some good things about them even though they are being discontinued. Anyone on here own one or can comment on one? Should be at my door today from ups according to tracking. Thank you!

No experience but I've heard good reviews. Most people seem to buy them when they are on sale for a similar price you paid. Depends what you're currently using but I'd guess the passport will work out well for you.

I used to have the 9' 5wt. It was a nice casting rod. I like that medium action sometimes. However, I did have a couple problems with it. If I were you, I would use something else in the extreme cold. I was fishing in the single digits, and the rod tip snapped right off. In nice weather, the tip is really sensitive and nice, but it seemed to get brittle in the cold. My only other complaint was that the cork wasn't the greatest quality. It was passable for the price, but just be extra careful. All in all, I liked the rod. Cabelas replaced it after the rod tip broke and returned it after a gouge developed in the cork. I hope you have better luck than I did because it really is a great casting rod for all around use. I had no problem throwing double nymph indi rigs as well as sz20 BWOs. It was a bit under powered for big streamers, but handled the standard zonker/bugger/bunny leech just fine.

I have one and like it for the times I need a 4wt to toss dries. It is basically a back up rod for me. The "metal" components are not metal. They are plastic and began peeling. I had to return to Cabezas and get a new rod.

I have the 9' 5wt and like it very much. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Back