Pheasant Tail and Hares Ear variations

barrybarry

barrybarry

Thought I'd spend the weekend filling my nymph box. Other than the the traditional ties, does anyone have any favorite materials/soft hackle combos/thorax colors that you wouldn't be without in SE/SC PA?

I'm mainly fishing Codorus/Muddy/Quitty/Fishing Creek/Donegal

I like tying my Princes with a red peacock flashy dubbed thorax. If you don't have that type of dubbing, you can used orange or red dyed peacock herl.

i just today did some wiggle hares ears, some with copper beads, some without.

IMG_0204.JPG

Eunan, what did you use for the extended portion of the fly?

Those wiggle nymphs are sweet. Never thought of downsizing a wiggle nymph. Great idea. Lots of motion. Losing a few might hurt a bit but I like the principle.

Nice ties.

Soft hackles are the deal. Woodduck or dyed mallard tail, dubbing to match ( hare's mask, squirrel's tail, tan, brown, olive) partridge or hen or quail or some other webby feather as a collar, tied in the round. Works everywhere, I hear even in Ireland.

Try some peacock or pheasant tail ice dub.

Eunan, would you post a pic of a single hares ear wiggle nymph? And a recipe?
Thanks

I'll have to tie another one later. Those i just mailed out to a client. I'll get it up later today.

I may have mentioned this video and pattern style here or on the FFP board in the distant past, but I still like it because variations can be readily made. For example, on very small flies there's no need for the soft hackle. Or, you can dub the abdomen instead of using turkey or pheasant. Or, you can use krystal flash for the wingcase instead of pheasant. Etc., etc.

When I need small mayfly nymphs, variations of this is how I like to tie them.

"eunanhendron" I have one thing to say to you. "Uncle!"

Just kidding it was fun to try. Pretty sad compared to yours. I'm sure they'll fish anyway.

I'd like to try the hooks that you were using. I used 4 lb. to connect mine, then clipped off the hook.

Attachments

• wiggle.jpg
    wiggle.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 7
i sometimes tye what i call a super nymph.

i tie on a rib of holographic gold tinsel,a tail of PT,i dub hare's ear over the PT and rib it..then peacock herl thorax,with a wing case of the left over butt ends of pheasant tail.partridge hackle.

that way you have all the great fish catching materials together.

once in a while i work seal or polar bear in there.

I would also like to see a close up of that fly. It is a very good looking fly.

Sorry for the delay here guys. I been flat out all day. I'll get a couple more tied up tomorrow with macro shots, for now here's the recipe

Body on a Flymen Wiggle shank, only use about half to one third the length of the shank, then clip the rest off

Tail: hares mask guard hairs
rib: bronze UTC wire size small
Body: hares mask fur
connect to hook with mono, i used 10lb drennan double strength

Hook Kamasan B170 size 12 or any light wire wet fly hook
Bead - Bronze bead to fit the hook
Thorax Hares ear plus dubbing, blended with hares fur from a mask
Wing case - pheasant tail fibers about 6-7
hackle - soft hackle of choice, i used partridge.
if no bead, black thread head.

pics tomorrow

Sorry for the delay
Here's the close up and here's the SBS
IMG_20130102_211716..jpg

Thanks for the details.

These rock.
img492c21bd49950.jpg

use a ziplock bag or scud back, and 12/0 thread for the ribbing, tied in natural colors. I rarely tie PTs or HENs anymore. These usually outfish them.

Oh yea, they definately rock-n-roll Dub.
Eunan, sweet lookin tie as well.

lv2nymph wrote:
Oh yea, they definately rock-n-roll Dub.
Eunan, sweet lookin tie as well.

They aren't mine btw. I just like them.

Back