ph Meter

yeah, like I said, pyrite formations are very natural. Pyrite, when it reacts with water, forms sulphuric acid.

There are natural sulphur springs, though I knew of none in that area. If water naturally comes into contact with the pyrite, it occurs.

There are also unnatural sulphur springs, which happens when water contacts pyrite when it wouldn't have naturally done so. Like acid mine drainage, or the building of of a road (happened with I99 near state college). The same could happen from drilling activity, either the landscaping of the surface pad, or, to a lesser degree, the drill hole punching through pyrite.

We all seem to be pretty much in agreement that its a discharge with sulphuric acid. Yet to be seen is if its natural. Either way, its not good for the stream.

Just go to the pet store. It will be easier and cheaper, then ordering from Hach. They have all sorts of testing supplies for aquariums. I have over 25 years in doing water and wastewater analysis and that's what I would do.

I think it's good you let DEP know. It may be nothing, but then again you never know.You'll have to let us know what they say. You have me curious.

After some searching, I pulled the trigger on a Sper Scientific ph Pen, model 850052. I found it on clearance for $43.00 at Grainger. I need to get some calibration solution but it looks like it will do the trick. It has auto temperature compensation, and also displays the temperature, so I don't have to carry a second measurement device. My wife wonders why I need this - I told her its for science. Now, so long as it actually works :)

To calibrate it you'll need at least one buffer solution, in your case a 7.00. To be accurate you need 3 calibration solutions. Add a 4.00 and a 10.00. I know the aquarium recommendation seems simplistic, but in the range that you're working at pH strips will do fine and a cheap alkalinity kit would suffice. Temperature compensation, yes there is a difference but again, unless you need to certify your study, you can drop a thermometer in and adjust if you want to be picky.

You don't need an ICP-MS to test for iron. They are expensive about $200,000 and actually a cheaper $20,000 Flame AA does it better, cheaper and faster. I was just trying to save you some $$$$$.

A simple kit would give you enough to work with. Since you already spent the money, enjoy playing with stream chemistry. Send your results. I know analysis, but have no experience with a real sulphur spring. I'd like to see what data you come up with.

Back