Pfluger 1492

J

JohnPowers

The above reel is the smallest medalist, only right handed no external drag setting. If you have a 1492 maybe you can tell me. Does it click. Mine does not and with no resistance when I pull off line it freewheels and tangles line. There are two Pawls inside so you can set it up to click on retrieve or stripping, none or both. Does the cog on your spool move freely or is it fixed to turn only when you reel. Don't bother to look on any other pfluger as this one is the only one set up like this. Even the 1492 1/2 Is different. My 1494 has the adjustable external drag setting. Thanks

The 1492 has two pawls as you state. They can be rotated to be engaged or disengaged depending on how much drag you desire. It sounds to me that your pawls have both been rotated into the disengaged position. Try to turn them so that the long stem of the pawl is pointing toward the center spindle. This should solve your problem. If not it may be that the sprocket on the inside of the spool is really worn down to the point that the pawl will no longer engage. This is very unlikely but if so, you will need a new spool. I recently refurbished a really old 6ft, fiberglas Fenwick and converted it to 4wt. I was going to buy a new reel for it but decided instead to clean up the old 1492 I used to use on it. I couldn't be happier with the results. It's probably the best small stream rod I've ever used and I'm really proud at having resurected a rod I had lots of fun with when I was a kid. Plus, it's already caught a lot of trout on it's second time around. My point here is that I really doubt that you could wear out one of these reels in a lifetime of hard use. Good Luck.

Pawls are pointing in. If you hold the spool in your right hand, can you turn the sproket freely with your left hand, or is it attached to the spool so that it turns as you turn the spool. My sprocket turns independent of the spool. I don't see how it could click if it engages the pawls but doesn't turn as you turn the spool. I'd buy a new spool but just want to be sure it's the problem. I only use the reel at midge and time. I wish I could fish enough to wear it out. Thanks.

Gotcha! No the sprocket should not turn independently of the spool. I believe the sprocket is press-fit to it's arbor and your's must have come loose. I'd guess a new spool is in order.

Took it out to the garage and removed plastic cap and spool release button, gently tapped a tapered drift pin down flaring the tube into the sprocket enough to capture it. Clicking like a champ. Thanks.

I may have a spare spool, I'll have to check.
edit, found one, pm me if your interested

I've made the repair but thanks a lot for checking on the spool.

no problem, if you ever need one, you know where to go.

Back