Pflueger Medalist reels

O

OldLefty

So, on another thread someone mentioned an old Pflueger Medalist reel. Anyone know the value of these reels? I have a 1494 DA and a 1494 1/2. I'm just curious.

I don't know how much they run. The 1494 D is what I've got on an 8 wt Fenwick I got from a guy for wiring his house in 1981. (He was a buddy of mine so I did it on the cheap.)

I'd like a 1495-1/2 for the Ol' Fenwickee but haven't found one yet.

Far as I can tell your best bet is to check ebay. You might get a $$ idea there...

I can't get the link to work but there's one on Ebay with a current bid of $29.98 with about 2 more days of bidding. It's in very good condition.

The DA means it's U.S. made.

RCFetter wrote:
I've got a 1494 AK. I don't know what the AK represents. I think I paid $30 or so for the reel. Some of the older Medalist are worth some coin.

Yeah, I'm biddin' but it's up over $40 now and that's gettin' too steep for a "like to have it but don't need it" toy.

Time and a few pints of Northern German Altbier will tell...

ak meant akron ohio and
The Enterprise Manufacturing Company officially changed its name to Pflueger. Shakespeare Tackle Company acquired Pflueger and manufactured the reels in Akron, Ohio, from 1966-69. The letters DA were added after the model numbers

I see quite a few 1495 1/2's on e-bay all the time. most old medalist will run 40-120 in price

wildtrout2 wrote:
RCFetter wrote:
I've got a 1494 AK. I don't know what the AK represents. I think I paid $30 or so for the reel. Some of the older Medalist are worth some coin.
I just learned that the AK on my Medalist stands for Hong Kong/China. Figures.

wildtrout2 wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
RCFetter wrote:
I just learned that the AK on my Medalist stands for Hong Kong/China. Figures.

Yep... :-?

Production moved overseas to China, Japan and Hong Kong, Shakespeare Medalists had the reel foot assembly crimped and the contours of the foot were coarser and less refined. The letters CJ (Japan) and AK (Hong Kong, China) appeared after the model numbers. The reel foot had the words Japan, China or Hong Kong inscribed in it. The words "Pflueger Medalist" and/or "Shakespeare" appeared on the spool latch cover.

Link to source: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part287.php

OldLefty wrote:
So, on another thread someone mentioned an old Pflueger Medalist reel. Anyone know the value of these reels? I have a 1494 DA and a 1494 1/2. I'm just curious.

Depends on the condition, they defiantly went up after they stopped making them which coincides nicely with when I stopped buying them.

Not sure if the price went down at all.

All of the various wording on the reel will tell you when it was made, as well as if the internal drag plate is reversible or not and how many indents are on it.

Anything prior to a CJ model is worth more, as they were all American and are thus more desirable.

The 1494.5 is going to be rarer. How many rivets are on the spool? Does it have the sculpted pillars or a drum on the inside of the spool?Does the frame have sculpted pillars? Metal or plastic name plate/spool cover?

I won!

I bid on a 1945-1/2 Medalist on ebay. My bid was $36.51 so w/ shipping I got the reel delivered to my door for $41.75.

My budget was $40.00 so $36.51 was my high bid. I'm excited to get it.

This reel will compliment my 1981 vintage 8 ft 8 wt Fenwick. Right now that rod carries a 1944 DA.

But even more exciting for me, I'll be in PA in 8 days!!!

Back