pfd?

evw659

evw659

My brother and i are heading out to Montana in July, we'll mostly be wade fishing. Were gonna be fishing Rock Creek most of the time, and thought it would be a good idea to get a couple pfd's since were unfamiliar with the water and can't predict whether the flows will be higher than average when were there. We've looked around on the web some for one, but we can't seem to find any that wouldn't be a major inconvenience to wear with a full vest/backpack. Im just wondering if any of you guys have one that works well, and isn't too much of an inconvenience to wear.

Thanks

I'm not a fan of PFDs. They are uncomfortable and unpleasant to wear during hot weather. I recently started using a PFD which auto deploys via a co2 when operating my bass boat. It is not a full vest type PFD. Looks more like a pair if wide suspenders. It deploys automatically if I were to fall overboard. It is a good compromise.

Don't recommend the auto deploy model for wading as it may deploy accidentally. Cabelas make the same style PFD with a manual deploy tab.

after wading a creek at too high water level by myself, and thinking of the lehigh, i got myself a co2 cartridge self inflating pfd that you wear like a fanny pack. It has a big red handle to pull when needed. this one you would have to slip over your head when you need it (so OK for wading, but not for boating where you might be unconscious from a hit to the head)

haven't had to try it yet, but figure it is the type of thing you are looking for. Mine is from cabela's.

Back