PFBC Unveils Keystone Select Stocked Trout Waters

Doesn't effect me one way or another. I have to agree with an earlier post though, re White Clay Creek. I never even bother fishing the regs area anymore as it has become a pale shadow of it's former self due to development, sedimentation etc. I suppose it will provide a little more amusement when they wash out of of the DHAOL area. On a positive note, it will pack more fishermen in certain areas, providing more elbow room for those that fish the water. Honestly, in the Southeast there are so many Derby's in a wide array of streams it's pretty easy to come up with 20" trout on a fly rod.

Agree about White Clay. I would be interested to find out who had "buy-in" on selection. I'd bet some had never even been there. The habitat is beyond poor and most stockies are out of there within days anyway so they can stock whatever they want - it won't matter. This whole thing is dumb.

Whatever happened to the tailwater study!!!!??...:)

Seriously...what about the tailwater initiative. They would actually be destination fisheries....WHITE CLAY? Gotta be kidding me!

NickR wrote:
Seriously...what about the tailwater initiative. They would actually be destination fisheries....WHITE CLAY? Gotta be kidding me!

Agree.
While I generally like the overall idea....why they chose White Clay over Tulpehocken is a mystery to me. Tully is ideally suited for this initiative (as I've said in other posts) if they are trying to replicate the Pine Creek destination fishery as was originally argued. White Clay is closer to high density population, however, and maybe this was the reason it was selected(?).

I would have to think the criteria were complicated, but focused primarily on access issues and usage data, with hospitable conditions as a distant third.

Sometimes the stockies go right out of the bucket and swim for miles before they stop. Loyalsock and Lycoming stockies are often caught in The Susquehanna at the dam in Williamsport in April. They aren't caged like the trophy deer people pay for, and they won't be staying where they are dumped for long.

NickR wrote:

I believe it is because the fish would spread out to much on the tully. I think the PFBC is going to a trout rodeo style of fishing for this concept . It will just be like fishing at the Headwaters club section of Spruce Creek without giving up your mortgage payment for the month.

Aw, gee, just because some of us (me included) would prefer not to fish for these fish under crowded fishing conditions does not make the program a bad one. I saw videos of sportsmen stocking their large brown trout in Pine Creek, and these guys were really excited. One said that the trout looked like Alaska fish! Even though I will not be fishing these areas, I think the idea is a good one, one that will excite a good many guys about fishing. As someone else said, it is no worse than the artificial conditions of fishing for Erie steelhead, which is popular among some members of this forum.

Kudos to the PFBC for trying to do something positive. Be glad the people at the PA Game Commission are not in charge of fisheries. They'd have anglers killing obscene numbers of trout, just as they have done to the deer herd.

Anyhow, give the program a chance. It is popular on Pine and apparently works well. Maybe it will work well in some of these other places, too.

Fredrick wrote:

I believe it is because the fish would spread out to much on the tully. I think the PFBC is going to a trout rodeo style of fishing for this concept . It will just be like fishing at the Headwaters club section of Spruce Creek without giving up your mortgage payment for the month.

And the PAFBC catering to the free lunch folks....

rrt wrote:
Aw, gee, just because some of us (me included) would prefer not to fish for these fish under crowded fishing conditions does not make the program a bad one. I saw videos of sportsmen stocking their large brown trout in Pine Creek, and these guys were really excited. One said that the trout looked like Alaska fish! Even though I will not be fishing these areas, I think the idea is a good one, one that will excite a good many guys about fishing. As someone else said, it is no worse than the artificial conditions of fishing for Erie steelhead, which is popular among some members of this forum.

Kudos to the PFBC for trying to do something positive. Be glad the people at the PA Game Commission are not in charge of fisheries. They'd have anglers killing obscene numbers of trout, just as they have done to the deer herd.

Anyhow, give the program a chance. It is popular on Pine and apparently works well. Maybe it will work well in some of these other places, too.

I agree 100%

I joined a firm many years ago and there was a partner that was known to be a great FFing enthusiasts. Naturally I engaged him occasionally in FF banter. Eventually, I learn he actually enjoyed searching out larger trout and did not care if they were stocked or wild. I tried to meet up with him on Roaring Run for some tiny brook trout and he stiffed me. I am no longer employed by that firm.

Back