PFBC to allow stocking of Class A streams?

KeviR

I got an email from someone who attended the PATU executive committee meeting recently. Apparently the PFBC Commissioners are considering rolling back restrictions to stocking Class A trout waters to allow stocking of trout.

I got an email from someone who attended the PATU executive committee meeting recently. Apparently the PFBC Commissioners are considering rolling back restrictions to stocking Class A trout waters to allow stocking of trout.

That would be really stupid

Since I don't know your source, I'd probably send an email to one of the commissioners (or all of them) and ask if this is true. Then I'd follow up with good reasoning why it should never be allowed.

Quite frankly I doubt the PFBC has the resources or $$$ to add a gazillion trout stream sections to the Stocked Trout Waters list...

My guess is IF the rumor is true, it might be a few commissioners with grumblings in their regions considering additions to the existing (and morally reprehensible) "Stocked Trout Waters/Class A List."

Regardless, I'd take Gangreen's contact suggestion and peruse the minutes from any recent "Commissioner's Meetings."

Quite frankly I doubt the PFBC has the resources or $$$ to add a gazillion trout stream sections to the Stocked Trout Waters list...

My guess is IF the rumor is true, it might be a few commissioners with grumblings in their regions considering additions to the existing (and morally reprehensible) "Stocked Trout Waters/Class A List."

Regardless, I'd take Gangreen's contact suggestion and peruse the minutes from any recent "Commissioner's Meetings."

I think the 7/9/2024 Fisheries and Hatcheries Committee meeting recording that you’ve linked would be of interest here, as there is a presentation and discussion related to permitted stocking exceptions in Class A’s.

This meeting recording also includes presentations on Pa Delaware Estuary and East Coast striped bass management/Electrofishing survey results, the Pa Black Bass mgmt plan, and a hatcheries presentation.

Looks like Bamboozle and I posted the info at about the same time.

Last edited:
Since I don't know your source, I'd probably send an email to one of the commissioners (or all of them) and ask if this is true. Then I'd follow up with good reasoning why it should never be allowed.
How does one contact the commissioners?

I wouldn't worry about it. Even though stocking is still a very common practice, it is slowly fading away.

There are a bunch of streams that are Class A biomass streams that are stocked that aren't Class A designated. That's my opinion, but..... I'm pretty certain about several of them.

If those streams became Class A while being stocked and with the onslaught of regular fishing regs being followed, I don't think we have much to worry about.

I'm not trying to diminish your point, Kevin. I think we should stop stocking all trout streams, but I don't perceive this to be a threat.

didn't listen, but the screen shot say CONTINUED stocking...meaning status quo on these streams. Streams like Kish and Bald Eagle, among others

didn't listen, but the screen shot say CONTINUED stocking...meaning status quo on these streams. Streams like Kish and Bald Eagle, among others
Yeah, and I listened to the presentation, and that's what they're talking about.. But I'm not sure if the thing Bam posted is exactly the same as what Kevin is talking about..

I'm the SE Reg VP for PATU. Yes...this was discussed extensively at the PATU Ex-Com meeting last weekend. It appears a few commissioners would like to increase the number of Class A Streams eligible for stocking and also stocking other Class As altogether. For starters when this "continued stocking" program on select Class A waters was rolled out it was just to be "for those select waters" and not to be expanded. Well...guess what..they want to expand it. So how far will this go? Sets a bad precedent. Secondly, this goes against all science and prior achievements by the PFBC regarding wild trout population. Third, this makes no economical sense (and maybe the only thing preventing this from happening). More info to come on this matter, but if you are opposed to this, I'd write your commissioners.

I'm the SE Reg VP for PATU. Yes...this was discussed extensively at the PATU Ex-Com meeting last weekend. It appears a few commissioners would like to increase the number of Class A Streams eligible for stocking and also stocking other Class As altogether. For starters when this "continued stocking" program on select Class A waters was rolled out it was just to be "for those select waters" and not to be expanded. Well...guess what..they want to expand it. So how far will this go? Sets a bad precedent. Secondly, this goes against all science and prior achievements by the PFBC regarding wild trout population. Third, this makes no economical sense (and maybe the only thing preventing this from happening). More info to come on this matter, but if you are opposed to this, I'd write your commissioners.
Just a friendly reminder that the only way for us to contact our commissioners is to send that correspondence to the PFBC first and they pinky promise that they’ll get it to the commissioners.

Consider me highly skeptical.

Maybe they had an overrun of those new signs with a full color brown trout I am starting to see all over?

They are just trying not to waste your license fees 🙄

Maybe they had an overrun of those new signs with a full color brown trout I am starting to see all over?

They are just trying not to waste your license fees 🙄
That's it. That's logical.. Thanks, Chris, for now making me a supporter of this initiative.

Those are nice signs!

I'll try to figure out if LehighRegular is accurate with his information, and I will definitely be writing to oppose it if that info is accurate.

Perhaps a reg. change is needed either reduction in creel number or perhaps a change to catch and release.
Or, if the stream sections are Private owners perhaps they want it or the posted signs will come out. Always another side of the story.
Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps a reg. change is needed either reduction in creel number or perhaps a change to catch and release.
Or, if the stream sections are Private owners perhaps they want it or the posted signs will come out. Always another side of the story.
Just my 2 cents.
I have definitely heard and almost accepted the merit in the continued access argument (or new access that you are thinking wistfully about?).

I don't know about the rest of the state, but on the creeks I frequent within 90 minutes of home, the signs have coincided with urban/suburban public waters that get a seasonal pressure from bait and gear guys, mostly recently a Class A behind a playground and the nearby woods where early experiments with smoking and getting to third base are infrequently interrupted by a dude in a sun hoodie and expensive waders.

Not a universally lauded perspective, but if it's bows only, I can live with giving the folks something to target and take home, provided they continue to get educated on the value of the wild ones in there.

I commented last year to cease stocking the East and West branches of Cowley Run at Sizerville State Park. Stream sections boundaries were moved to continue stocking in state park day use area. Would it have been better if those cricks were under stocked class a with catch and release on wild trout? I do not support stocking on class a populations but also realize reality and am not above compromise. Could we limit it to one stocking per year ,maybe an in season stock? Could we get class a stocked water catch and release regs to include brook trout ? Can we keep co-op stockings on class a sections at the current kids derby exemption and not open them to general co-op stocking? I'm not sure what information is passed on in the trout in the classroom but how about information about wild trout be added or expanded?
Drawing lines in the sand hasn't worked for me. If and/or when the subject of adding to the list of class a stocked trout waters opens up for public comment I will gladly email in opposition but ask for for something,anything better than the way the current regs are set up.

Back