PFBC Bass Presentation Video

Good video - has some good info on SMB movement in W. Br. Susky watershed and new info on "blotchy bass."

The separate invasive species video presentation adds to the bass video presentations....says in the snakehead portion that snakeheads carry Largemouth virus.

We also now know that SMB carry and can be negatively affected by LMB virus. My assumption is that up until now SMB have become carriers and infected at times due initial introductions to SMB populations by LMB.

Clearly, this is just another reason why the recent spread of snakeheads into 4 SE Pa impoundments should not be viewed favorably. Three of those impoundments are well known public fisheries with excellent LMB populations. The introductions give the snakeheads access via escapement from the dams or movement upstream from the impoundments to other large stream systems where SMB could then also be exposed to the virus.

What are the 4 impoundments?

If you are now learning that SMB bass are carrying the virus how did they learn so fast that snakeheads are carriers and if they are carriers I'm sure that a majority of fish species in the area are carriers as well.

Fredrick wrote:
What are the 4 impoundments?

If you are now learning that SMB bass are carrying the virus how did they learn so fast that snakeheads are carriers and if they are carriers I'm sure that a majority of fish species in the area are carriers as well.

Where is it published the "majority of fish species in the area are carriers as well"?

http://www.diseasedaily.org/diseasedaily/article/largemouth-bass-virus-discovered-snakehead-fish-81513

Other members of the sunfish family found infected with the virus include smallmouth bass, spotted bass, Suwanee bass, bluegill, redbreast sunfish, white crappie, and black crappie.

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/largemouth-bass-virus-lmbv-fact-sheet

Glad SH are being touted as a fish that carries a virus that's going to kill everyone's bass when in fact its common in all sunfish species.

Fredrick wrote:
Other members of the sunfish family found infected with the virus include smallmouth bass, spotted bass, Suwanee bass, bluegill, redbreast sunfish, white crappie, and black crappie.

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/largemouth-bass-virus-lmbv-fact-sheet

Yeah, the sunfish species of fish can carry the virus ^.

What other species (besides snakeheads) carry the virus?

The PFBC tested SMB fingerlings from major rivers about 14 yrs ago to determine whether SMB were carriers. The testing was in response to the YOY kill(s) on the Susquehanna.

I believe that it has been known for years that SMB could carry LBV but that the thought was that LBV had no affect on the SMBs. The new research now reveals that, in fact, the virus does affect SMBs, especially when combined with warm water and other stressors.

(At least this is what I recall?)

Glad SH are being touted as a fish that carries a virus that's going to kill everyone's bass when in fact its common in all sunfish species.

That doesn’t make the snakehead any less of an invasive species, do your part, as requested by the PA F&B, kill every snakehead that you catch.

GeneBeam wrote:

That doesn’t make the snakehead any less of an invasive species, do your part, as requested by the PA F&B, kill every snakehead that you catch.
+1

Sums it up .

Attachments

• DFBAF1E2-C2C6-4346-BB29-9CEAE0503EE2.jpeg
    DFBAF1E2-C2C6-4346-BB29-9CEAE0503EE2.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2
Back