Petitjeans Magic Tool

SBecker

SBecker

Anybody have one and use it? I grabbed a brand new one cheap over EBay. Love CDC and am looking forward to using it in more patterns.

Nothing more than a fancy binder clip imo.

Yea I have heard that a lot. But it does not work the same. It might look like just a chip clip. However, it is not.

Got one for a Christmas gift a few years ago. Tried it a few times and didn't like it. No use for it.

http://www.petitjean.com/shop/en/magic-tool/magic-tool.html#

I dunno man. I've made a pretty convincing substitute for this 'magic tool' for zero dollars out of some notched foam and a binder clip.

Sure a hell of a lot cheaper than 47.27 plus shipping from Sweeden.

Blonde comes with it.

Besides the clips it came with a bunch of various diameter grooved dowels. Can't remember what the heck those were for.

Lol, I am not handy or creative like you. I did not spend that much on it either. Think with shipping it cost me $22.

I have it and make CDC parachutes with it but I got mine free from a friend not sure about the dowels either

I have one. Got mine from ebay for 10.00, couldnt say no. I use it a lot. I know what the dowels are for.

Becker, I don't know what the dowel rods are for either. Then again, I'm not God's gift to fly tying.

On a side note, I like your blog. I'll be following.

Like Skynrd says, I know a lil..
the dowels are used in conjunction with a flash material , like say flashabout or krystal flash,then wound around the dowel,take the dubbing loop thread coat with wax,then place some dubbing for the body of the pattern on the snap tool,place the dowel already wrapped with flash material on the top of the dubbing on the snap tool,take a scissors edge or a extacto knive following the length of the dowel and walla the flash more or less gets cut to the same length across the dubbing you laid out ,then take a hackle or wire pull dubbing an flash into the snap tool take the longer clear clip an grasp what sticks out the snal tool the release the snap tool walla, you are ready to cut the stem off the hackle an then place in dubbing loop,this is all explianed in the included video. different diameter dowels = longer flash elements.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
BTW this tool isnt like a bull dog clip at all,similar yes but different, to each his own, i like building my own tools too an savin a buck, but this tool has its own merits.

Sbecker go to youtube and type in petitjean magic tool and they have videos on there showing how to use the tool. I have a set too that I bought on ebay a few years back.

Thanks Zen for the kind words about the blog.

Thanks Leteras for recommending Youtube. I looked at it earlier today, but the video's were grainy. Luckily Beadhead has offered me a burned copy of his DVD on the magic. Guess I will not have to pay the 30 some dollars for the damn video.

Lonewolve wrote:
BTW this tool isnt like a bull dog clip at all,similar yes but different, to each his own, i like building my own tools too an savin a buck, but this tool has its own merits.

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be an ***, but how is this....

STEP17.gif

any different from this?

dscn0136.jpg

See through? dunno lol How about the first step where you can pull the feathers down into the tool, so you can grab them with the bulldog clip? Just asking what you use.

SBecker wrote:
See through? dunno lol How about the first step where you can pull the feathers down into the tool, so you can grab them with the bulldog clip? Just asking what you use.

I took a piece of foam and cut it into a triangle. Then I made cuts that go half way through the foam across the surface of the triangle. So the top view looks something like the attached photo....

The later lines are the cuts in the foam. The different sizes allow for it to accommodate different sized feathers.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 4
LOL, well that's a great idea and is why you are going to RIT, and I am going to become an elementary teacher.

The Petitjeans Magic Tool is way colloer than that metal clip and wasn't free. Plus you can see how the dubbing is lying. There is a lot of tools you can use that are cheaper than spoecialty items. I for one don't mind spending a couple $$ for something that somone else designed to make things easier for me. Guess it's all up to the individual in how they want to spend there money.

Trapper :), I agree. I really did not mind spending 20$ on the tool. It is nice to see other peoples takes on how to do things on the cheap though.

Back