Petitjean

NewSal

NewSal

I am not familiar with ordering anything online from other countries. Has anyone ordered anything from : http://www.petitjean.com/online/en/
or any other, across the pond website?

What is the estimated shipping / arrival time like?

Other than that, has anyone here used the petitjean "magic tool" in the regular sizes? Whats your opinion of it? Are there any other similar tools that are just as good quality wise but made in the states?

I have order items from Britain and Estonia and did not have an issue. Used Paypal and they did the conversion. Both gave free shipping. But You should email Petijean for shipping cost.

He will be at the Fly Fishing Show selling his Magic Tool Kit and Vises.

As for anything similar, not sure. I have seen the videos and he was at the International Fly Tying Symposium last month.

JS FlyFishing also sells it.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/marc-petitjean-magic-tool

Good Luck
Jerry Coviello

I have it and the stacker. From the site above. It works great. Don't let anyone tell you it's a pos and you can do it with bulldog clips. If you do CDC with regularity that tool gives you a perfect little quill less clump easily tied in.

JerryCoviello wrote:
I have order items from Britain and Estonia and did not have an issue. Used Paypal and they did the conversion. Both gave free shipping. But You should email Petijean for shipping cost.

He will be at the Fly Fishing Show selling his Magic Tool Kit and Vises.

As for anything similar, not sure. I have seen the videos and he was at the International Fly Tying Symposium last month.

JS FlyFishing also sells it.
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/marc-petitjean-magic-tool

Good Luck
Jerry Coviello

Thanks for the link, I may order the petitjean kit from JS if I do not find any similar tools

JohnPowers wrote:
I have it and the stacker. From the site above. It works great. Don't let anyone tell you it's a pos and you can do it with bulldog clips. If you do CDC with regularity that tool gives you a perfect little quill less clump easily tied in.

Sorry, Im not familiar with bulldog clips, what are they?

I wouldn't believe if anyone said it was a POS, his stuff looks of quality in his videos for sure. $40 isn't a bad investment for something that will last forever and is very useful.

As of now I use my hands and trim both sides of the cdc after its in the loop and its a royal pain in the ***

I don't have one yet, but am planning on buying one. I'm tying my CDC into a loop the same way you are Sal, and it is very challenging to say the least. The clear plastic on the Petitjean tool lets you see exactly what you are dealing with. I've seen many people use them and they seem to work great. Definitely a no brainer for someone who uses a lot of CDC in a dubbing loop or split thread.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:

Sorry, Im not familiar with bulldog clips, what are they?

417022[5].jpg

I heard Marc Petijean speak at the Main Line
fly tyers club a few years ago. Also, he is usually at the Somerset show every year.

For those not familiar with the tool and tying method, below is a video demonstrating it.

This second video is an all CDC mayfly which looks killer and is fairly simple to tie.

afishinado wrote:
fly tyers club a few years ago. Also, he is usually at the Somerset show every year.

For those not familiar with the tool and tying method, below is a video demonstrating it.

The more I watch of his tying videos the more I really like his approach to fly tying. Very simple, quick, yet BUGGY.

Also like his little spins he put on his other tools, like the collapsible whip finish tool, kind of envious of this guy..

afishinado wrote:

This second video is an all CDC mayfly which looks killer and is fairly simple to tie.

Hey AFISH, excuse me if you have already seen them. But he is featured a few times on "The Weekly Fly" channel on youtube. If you like his patterns I would suggest checking that channel out and doing a search of his name. Really neat stuff. IMO

Just ordered mine last night. I can't wait to try it.

pabrookie94 wrote:
Just ordered mine last night. I can't wait to try it.

Did you order yours from a US distributer or did you buy it direct from Switzerland?

I purchased it from j stockard. I love the website and shipping is $5 bucks.

Give TCO a call as they carry some of the petitjean tools, in addition to some other hard to find European tools. I use the normal sized magic tools and the newer stacker a lot. The stacker is an excellent addition to the magic tool for using a clump of cdc ( or other feathers) for wings without having that thick stem in it. The petitjean whip finisher is great too.

Wow, what a change two years make. Believe me, it was a pos, do it with bulldog clips, total WOM (waste of money). From people who didn't own the tool. You get a nice little clump with no quill. If you have short feathers lay them down as shown and seat them down into the clip with a length of mono. Longer feathers are preferred but you can use shorts to.oddly enough, to do the split thread twirling thing I had to make a longer upright for my renzetti to give room for the CDC and bobbin to spin. Might be just me.

Stone River Outfitters carry the Petitjean tool along with a variety of different,unique tying tools. Free shipping over $100.00 orders. Located In N.H. Merry Christmas

If anyone is interested ,I just posted Marc Petitijean Magic Tool plus extras in the swap forum

Back