Pesticides made intersex smallmouth

B

Brownout

Found this article discussing intersex smallmouth, 80% of the males now produce eggs. Most likely caused by pesticides and petro chems, like hair removal creams, estrogen for menopause, preserving agents in hair conditioner, etc.

NYT article on intersex smallies

Brown,
This story has been around for awhile. In particular, smallies on the upper Potomac are usually cited as the example of this problem. Personally, I think this is a worrisome issue that is likely to become an increasingly apparent problem. On the other hand, I fish the upper Potomac extensively and the fishing for bass is excellent and the fish appear healthy and fat. Recent smallmouth spawns in this section of river, esp in 2005 and 2007 were outstanding so - at least for now - it doesn't appear to be affecting the population.

Well, that's good news. As consumers I think we need to educate ourselves and our family members about what we are pouring down the drain and applying to our bodies. If people were forced to recycle their water, you can be guaranteed that almost everyone would not be using half the junk they currently use to clean and manicure themselves.

At present, a lot of people are addicted to the convenience of chemicals and they don't give a **** about where that waste is going. They think that there will always be clean water for them to use.

Back