People Letting Their Dogs Swim in Streams In Sight of Fisherman

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Unless the dog was on a leash 6' or less in length, the owner was breaking the law in the Allentown Parkway.

"C. At Large Animals Prohibited
1. No owner or custodian of an animal shall permit the animal to run at large in the City. For the purposes of this section, an animal is considered to run at large if it is not secured by a leash no longer than six (6') feet controlled by a human when on public property including but not limited to streets, sidewalks and parks or with or without a leash if on private property without the consent of the owner of such property. It shall be unlawful for any owner of an animal to place such animal or allow it to be placed in the custody of any other person not physically capable of maintaining effective control of such animal. This section shall not apply to any person who uses an animal while engaged in a supervised formal obedience training class or show, or during formally sanctioned field trials. (12969 §1 4/18/90)
2. No dogs shall be allowed in City parks except at places designated by the Superintendent of Parks and provided that said dogs shall not be at large and no dogs shall be allowed on the Hamilton Mall except as authorized by the Director of Community Development or the Director's designee.
3. It shall be the duty of the City Official to seize and detail any animal, licensed or unlicensed found running at large, either upon the public streets or highways of the City or on the property of any other person and unaccompanied by its owner or keeper."

H-A,
This dog was definitely off it's leash. Someone mention a black lab also, but this was a tan colored lab. None-the-less these people should be aware of the above facts. Guess they're ill informed.

Meantime, as an aside you were mentioning on Saturday a fly line cleaner that was really good - could you tell me what that was?

Thanks,
PP

I encountered the problem with dogs on the Little Lehigh and tried to be very polite and educate the dog owner as to what the behavior of her dogs was doing to the fishermen. In spite of being 25 or more feet away from her dogs and constantly calling them, (which they mostly ignored), she snapped at me saying "My dogs are under control" Felt like saying, "So are these rocks....." but wished her a good day and walked away. There's no cure for ignorance.

With kayakers, when fishing the Lackawanna and netting Moonbeam's (Dan) big trout, they were coming down the river, and as soon as they saw we had a fish on, they backed water and watched while we landed it.
They were careful as to which direction they went, behind us as much as possible and just let the current take them, rather than paddling.

Just like the rest of life, you will meet all kinds out on the water.

Remember you are out to enjoy yourself and don't let some a**hole ruin your day.

PoconoPaul wrote:

....Meantime, as an aside you were mentioning on Saturday a fly line cleaner that was really good - could you tell me what that was?

Thanks,
PP[/quote]

Zipcast. You gotta take notes people, gotta take notes.

My experience on the Gunpowder has been overall very positive with regard to Dogs. I have seen and heard dog owners call their dogs out of the water a fisherman comes into sight. Kayakers are sometimes a different story. The ones I have come across have announced themselves from a distance, and I have even had some offer to portage around me. I thank them, and tell them to please go ahead - the fish don't mind for that long, especially if I am nymphing down deep.

A buddy of mine almost came to blows with a kayaker a couple of years ago. My buddy (Mike) was fishing a pool just above a little chute, and the only spot to get through was about 3 feet wide. The kayaker was rowing upstream, and Mike noticed him waaayyy downstream working his way up. Mike didn't say anything until the guy literally rowed right behind him, just a couple of feet away. Mike said "Do you mind if I ask what the F you are doing?" The guy proceeded to explain a particular kayak training technique where you row upstream...yadda yadda yadda." Mike said "Well I'm fishing here right now, you've been watching me fish for twenty minutes, and you expect me to get out of the water? It would have been different if you would have announced yourself, or asked if I mind, but you're gonna row right up my a** and expect me to let you through"? The guy started preaching about the river being for everyone's use - and Mike said "Yeah, but I'm using this spot now. You can use that trail right there to carry that thing around me."

As he was telling me the story, he made it a point to say that he could not possible tell me at the volume level at which they actually were screaming at one another. Mike is a peaceful guy, a gently giant, and he told me that he actually thought they were going to come to blows. But alas, he begrudgingly portaged around Mike.

Like you guys have said, a little common sense and common courtesy goes a long way.

I have had worse experiences with other fishermen, then I have had with dogs or Kayakers. Usually a kayaker will apologize as will a dog owner. There have been exceptions. I have more then once been willing to "throw down" with other inconsiderate fishermen.

I am still pissed off at an incident that happened on the West Branch this year with DaveS. We found a pod of very nice sized fish. Dave stopped the boat and told me to go to work. I proceed to toss the tip of my rod off and Chase it down stream really quick. I get back in position and behind casting. A drift boat with two guys comes down and does not even try to go around us or drift farther away. They just decide to go right over the fish. I might have not been so angry if we floated the same way. However, whenever I have floated with others. We have made a point to stay as far away as possible to other boats, ask others which way they would prefer is to float, get out of the boats and walk behind waders, not cast, and not paddle when we get to close. I have learned stream etiquette. I guess not everyone has.

PoconoPaul wrote:

In that later instance, the couple had their dog dive into the LL right in the same pool as one the newbie's was fishing. I mean that's totally disrespectful. Seems they had no regard, nor care for the fact the guy was fishing there.

Yes that was me fishing when the dog jumped in...
Up until then I was getting real good practice at missing fish. I must of had a dozen rises to my Trico. Missed them all. The fish kept rising as we talked and they were explaining things to me. Thanks to Paul and Shane I got a lot of confidence Saturday.

As for the dog owners I looked at them, they looked at me. They knew what was going on. It's their park too seemed to be their attitude. It wasn't a hill worth doing battle on to me. Like someone already said, maybe they resent FFishers hooking trout. It didn't ruin my good time. Paul thanks for hanging around and discussing that with me. It was just a bad deal.

We did see the Little Lehigh "Cougar" that was nice, I even got a wave from her the 2nd time by......LOL ;-)

Aducker wrote:
PoconoPaul wrote:

In that later instance, the couple had their dog dive into the LL right in the same pool as one the newbie's was fishing. I mean that's totally disrespectful. Seems they had no regard, nor care for the fact the guy was fishing there.

Yes that was me fishing when the dog jumped in...
Up until then I was getting real good practice at missing fish. I must of had a dozen rises to my Trico. Missed them all. The fish kept rising as we talked and they were explaining things to me. Thanks to Paul and Shane I got a lot of confidence Saturday.

As for the dog owners I looked at them, they looked at me. They knew what was going on. It's their park too seemed to be their attitude. It wasn't a hill worth doing battle on to me. Like someone already said, maybe they resent FFishers hooking trout. It didn't ruin my good time. Paul thanks for hanging around and discussing that with me. It was just a bad deal.

We did see the Little Lehigh "Cougar" that was nice, I even got a wave from her the 2nd time by......LOL ;-)

It was great to help you out. My story is a little like Dave R's experience when I started out. My first lesson (I was teacher and student) was on Valley Creek. I came across two gentlemen wearing the tweed vests and smoking pipes. I inquired into the type of flies they were using and both responded in Latin. Then one made a snide remark about my outfit. Glad people aren't like that today and this group is one set of great people. I was glad I came down for the event.

Anyway I think the old Cougar was makin eyes at Shane and was probably coming back around on the off chance he might be there. I think Shane likes old babes, but just doesn't admit it widely.

SBecker wrote:
I am still pissed off at an incident that happened on the West Branch this year with DaveS......

No such problems on small waters! I'd take whatchma-call-it creek any day of the week. (Trying to avoid spot burn by not doing a reveal).

I like old babes if they look like the two we saw that made me drool.

SBecker wrote:
Dang, you admitted it. There were a few nice ones. I wondered why you were less interested in fishing.

joseywales wrote:
PoconoPaul wrote:

....Meantime, as an aside you were mentioning on Saturday a fly line cleaner that was really good - could you tell me what that was?

Thanks,
PP

Zipcast. You gotta take notes people, gotta take notes. [/quote]

I would have taken notes only i didn't have my laptop on hand. Writing gives me hand cramps.

Park rules say that all dogs should be on a leash, and actually it is a state law that the dog must be in the control of the owner. Hardly the case that I saw on Saturday.

PoconoPaul wrote:
joseywales wrote:
PoconoPaul wrote:

Thanks,
PP

I would have taken notes only i didn't have my laptop on hand. Writing gives me hand cramps.[/quote]

Write lefthanded in Catholic school, Palmer method, then you can complain.

I was just busting on you. I was sending emails to myself, because it was easier than trying to retain. I walked away from OldLefty, since his 3 pointers were plenty for me to work and I didn't want information overload. There was a lot of info flying around and probably not enough newbies to soak it all up.

PoconoPaul wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Dang, you admitted it. There were a few nice ones. I wondered why you were less interested in fishing.

It is really the only thing that will take my attention away from fishing. Had a VERY pretty girl come down and talk to me behind Riverwalcks a couple weeks ago. She was really into FF and said she used to tie and FF. She actually was able to tell me the kind of fly I was using. I fell in love that night, and if I was not married already I would have offered to buy her a beer.

joseywales wrote:
PoconoPaul wrote:
joseywales wrote:
PoconoPaul wrote:

Thanks,
PP

I would have taken notes only i didn't have my laptop on hand. Writing gives me hand cramps.

Write lefthanded in Catholic school, Palmer method, then you can complain.

I was just busting on you. I was sending emails to myself, because it was easier than trying to retain. I walked away from OldLefty, since his 3 pointers were plenty for me to work and I didn't want information overload. There was a lot of info flying around and probably not enough newbies to soak it all up.[/quote]

Actually I do write left handed 🙂 I know you were busting in this case - It's okay, I am used to the ribbing, after all I've got pals like Shane dishing it all the time 🙂

I have 2 water dogs. If want to swim them which is everyday and their are any people in the area I ask if they are Ok if we can swim dogs if not we have no problem leaving as we can come back later. I do not even let them out of my vehicle. If there are children I am even more careful and I introduce them to the dogs with their parents permission if it's OK with Mom and Dad. I met a small child that had a chocolate lab youngster named Harry and before we left he had Harry fetching and swimming and I gave him one of my fetching dummies. This young man was so polite. Great Day.

I guess I don't get the rest. Dog owners, Car drivers while texting It's not about dogs. Maybe the next time someone pulls next to their mailbox on the wrong side of the road at the top of a hill so you can't see around I'll get out and point out the hazard that they don't want to hear and wish them a good day. Don't start me about texting

buy her a beer?
Big spender-steak and champagne,if they're keepers.

Old Dog. Old tricks. Really. I thought you would know better than to advice like that.

PoconoPaul wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:
Unless the dog was on a leash 6' or less in length, the owner was breaking the law in the Allentown Parkway.

"C. At Large Animals Prohibited
1. No owner or custodian of an animal shall permit the animal to run at large in the City. For the purposes of this section, an animal is considered to run at large if it is not secured by a leash no longer than six (6') feet controlled by a human when on public property including but not limited to streets, sidewalks and parks or with or without a leash if on private property without the consent of the owner of such property. It shall be unlawful for any owner of an animal to place such animal or allow it to be placed in the custody of any other person not physically capable of maintaining effective control of such animal. This section shall not apply to any person who uses an animal while engaged in a supervised formal obedience training class or show, or during formally sanctioned field trials. (12969 §1 4/18/90)
2. No dogs shall be allowed in City parks except at places designated by the Superintendent of Parks and provided that said dogs shall not be at large and no dogs shall be allowed on the Hamilton Mall except as authorized by the Director of Community Development or the Director's designee.
3. It shall be the duty of the City Official to seize and detail any animal, licensed or unlicensed found running at large, either upon the public streets or highways of the City or on the property of any other person and unaccompanied by its owner or keeper."

H-A,
This dog was definitely off it's leash. Someone mention a black lab also, but this was a tan colored lab. None-the-less these people should be aware of the above facts. Guess they're ill informed.

Meantime, as an aside you were mentioning on Saturday a fly line cleaner that was really good - could you tell me what that was?

Thanks,
PP
That tan colored lab jumped into the pool I was fishing also. So that's why the fishing was lousy! Ha. Good excuse anyway. That dog scared off all my trout. Seriously I was a little upset but I guess we have to expect that sort of thing in a public park. I never saw so many joggers in my life!

Back