Pentax Optio WS80 Deal

skeeter

skeeter

Anybody own one? Saw this deal at Abe's. Which is a pretty good place to buy electronics except they may call you to add things like a camera case, filters etc.if your buying a camera. You just have to say no!

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PNOWS80K&l=SELLUP

Be careful with places like these, theres a reason why everything is too good to be true.

I have been looking for a camera since last fall. Anxious to hear if this is a good one and a good buy. Abes also offers two accessory packages are they worth while?
Thanks
Buffalo

Yeah I actually have bought from them. That was kinda my word to the wise. I bought from abe's a $1500(retail) Sony HD camcorder two months ago for $699. They called after I purchased the camcorder and tried to sell me "package deals" for extra, I wasn't budging, so I ended up with an extremely good deal (IMO). No other place could come close to that sale price.

I purchased a Pentex W80 from abe of maine and love it. I got the old model. Which is 12mp with 5x zoom waterproof. No PROBLEMS..

Thanks plom! You don't happen to have any pics you could share so I (we) could take a look at them. All I have seen is the one pic on the abe's of maine site. I am having trouble finding any others around the net. I'd really like to see some underwater, macro and curious what the internal 5x optical zoom can produce. Because right now I like the price and capabilities of the WS80, but I might have to wait and save for that pentax W90 that thing is ridiculous for under $300.

I will get some pictures up. The w80 I have has the same specs at the new w90. The one on the link above is only 10mp

Bought one, just seemed like something I'd wanted and a reasonable way to do it.

Save yourselves $5 with this discount code: ABESAVES5

Confirmed working.

Pix from my Pentex

Attachments

• IMGP0016.JPG
    IMGP0016.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0015.JPG
    IMGP0015.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0028.JPG
    IMGP0028.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
  • moldy chum.JPG
    moldy chum.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
OK think I’m ready to get the WS80 from Abe’s.
Abe’s also offers two “Value Packages” one for and additional $20 and one for an additional $60 . Would you guys suggest buying one of them as well. I don’t take a lot of pictures and am really just interested in having a camera for fishning and hunting trips.

Thanks
Buffalo

Probably not,t o be honest. What do the "value packs" include, and what of those items do you actually want?

The only thing I cared abotu was a memory card. Then again, I have enough around the house, I didn't need to buy one.

BTW, up the savings to $10 off instead of $5. The offer code is LOYALTY10.

Wow those W80 shots are impressive. I ordered a W80 from Amazon 04/08/2010 and returned it 04/09/2010! The picture quality in my living room and front yard was absolutely terrible. Very, very noisy and grainy. I called Pentax and talked to a tech who would not believe me, so I emailed photos. He emailed back telling me they were "ok" for a "underwater camera". Did I mention these photos were taken in my front yard and living room?

Edit: Regarding the WS80 at Abe's . . . . I don't think the $20 package is a bad deal. This comes with floating wrist strap which is usually around $10 and a 4GB SD card which is worth $10, plus case, cleaning supplies, etc that maybe worthless. The $60 package adds another battery which maybe great, but it is a generic battery and you could likely get OEM for $40 on ebay or generic for much less.

I have been looking for a camera since last fall. Anxious to hear if this is a good one and a good buy. The Pentax Optio W80 is a waterproof camera that offers outstanding performance in demanding weather.

I have the Pentax w80. The camera takes awesome pics and is rugged. Highly recommended. The software package for your computer is really good and user friendly. Don't be fooled by the grainy pictures on the screen of the camera. When the pics are downloaded onto a computer they are really nice.

Jason

i just ordered the w90 im kind of excited i found it for 267 on amazon via the "portable guy" should be here this week ill post back with pix

I like my w80. if you want to drop 250 to 200 the w90 is the better design of the w80 with hd video.

I bought and returned one from Best Buy. It took horrible photos indoors as they all ( waterproof ) seem to do. They are good for outdoor pictures but not so good for indoor. If you have another camera ( non waterproof ) that you can use indoors, then I recommend buying it. If you going to use it for you one "all around" camera, any waterproof will not take good photos inside.

I did a ton of research on these cameras and all seem to have the same problem with indoor photos at present. The new Canon waterproof might be a little better for all around use but it's very bulky as compared to the Pentex or Olympus ( I'd recommend either ). I chose to wait it out and see if they improve, which they will or see what Nikon offers when they enter the waterproof market.

My ws80 just arrived today. I got it to take fishing and not to use as an all around camera. The few pictures I took today in the rain look fine but I will hold judgement until I see the first fish pictures.

Let me show you the first, and only, fish picture I've taken. It was the first time I took it out, and I thought to myself, "hey, that's right, I got this thing now, and let's go ahead and take a picture!"

So, I thrust the whole thing under water and realized....I don't know what the hell is going on down there, and hti sfish is moving, and I'm hunched over in current and..... Whatever, press the shutter and fire away!

Always edit in post, snapped a few and popped the fish off.

So, we look at 'em.. There's 5 pictures I snapped total, and the first four are...blank, blank, blank, finger/blank, and....number 5....

4601995079_f5738316e9.jpg

I wish I'd kept the rest, its quite an exciting sequence.

There ya have it, only one I bothered to take thus far. Hey, whatever. Its there just in case, y'know?

Try using the Underwater Movie mode. Ihave an older Optio W10. Ive had it for several years and it takes fantastic stills and movies.That camera is always with me when fishing. Cant beat the price and durability.

Back