Penobscot river Maine

I have never heard of "the lost colony of Roanoke." And, what the heck is a craps table? That sounds disturbing.

The Penobscot is beautiful. I worked up at Baxter State Park for a few years and highly recommend you check the park out. Kathadin Lake is great, Doubletop Mtn is an awesome climb, and the Blue Ox Inn in Millinocket is a THE watering hole to check out. Feel free to PM me if you want some more info. Have Fun!

Glad yinz guys liked the fish, but I don't mean to distract from the thread. The best part is that there's plenty of opportunities for everyone up there. Whether you're a trout "purist" or like myself in search of something with a little more attitude. You really could catch Brookies, LandLocks, Smallies, and Pickerel all in one day, and sometimes on the same river! Further more; with so many options it's pretty easy to DIY, and have your own adventure without all the expense. I took the whole family (Fiance, Daughter, and Dog) for 2 weeks and only spent $1500. Anyhow; Enjoy your Honeymoon and Congratulations BTW!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Maine this summer, Thanks for all the suggestions. She is not into finshing but may be willing to paddle the canoe for a day.

That fish is a beast.

Jack the stocking of SMB were recnt, like within about the last 20 to 30 years. PRobably done by some bass org.

Chaz,
As much as I love smallies, I wish they weren't in the Rapid and other brookie watersheds in Maine. I didn't realize how recently they had been introduced. Is this recent introduction just the Penobscot? I seem to recall SMBs being in ME rivers in past decades but my memory may not be correct.

I fish alot of water in both the Rangeley region and also the Moosehead Region. I kill every smallmouth bass that is in LL Salmon/Brook Trout waters. Bucket biology in this case is exactly as chaz has described. As for the comment it's too late. Not yet it isn't. I go to Maine to fish for Land Locked Salmon, Brook Trout,and Striped Bass. Kill every bass you catch if you can its good food for the black bears.

The lost colony of Roanoke was in present day NC. Captain John Smith was involved in establishing this earliest English settlement in N.A. It is possible that some of the first group there were ancestors of mine.
FRom Wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

My ex in-laws were from Washington Co ME. The cool thing was that you couldn't wring a trout or salmon spot out of a local if you hung them over hot coals, but they would give up smallie spots easily. I found some sweet salter fishing (15" to 20" brookies), but when I mentioned it to locals they said it was the only time salters were caught in a generation - but the spots had trails to them so I'm thinking the locals were trying to get me to fish elsewhere. Bass just weren't as respected.

As per introduction, the ME bass management plan states smallies were introduced in 1868 http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/blackbass.pdf
Some downeast lakes, like Meddybemps, have been smallie destinations since the 19th century. At one time the smallie lakes were real popular and the brookies and salmon were out of favor on some of them, but then the focus on native fisheries started in the 1970's and the management seems to have shifted. Largemouth are more likely to be a recent introduction, and people would hand out great ponds for bass bugging easily. Some recent pike introductions sure have people up in arms.

It's a different world up by Moosehead Lake where brookies, salmon, and togue (lakers) are the attraction - enjoy your stay. Many of the rivers in that area have serious rapids, so a guide may be what you need if you aren't a whitewater person. Plus, it's your honeymoon - pamper yourself with a guide.

Thanks for the opportunity to chime in FishMedic. I've been fishing up there for a few decades. A few suggestions.

-Up there brookies and ll salmon our king.
-Bring your longer fly rods.
-Flows(on applicable rivers) and water temps. dicate how you will do. Be flexible. Give a river/pond an hour you will know if they r biting, or not, move on.
-Visit Maine Guide Shop web site to research and when you first get into town. Dan/Penny are straight shooters and have the daily pulse.
-Typically that time of year, streamers less so, caddis and mayfly hatches prevelant.
-Don't forget to try this areas remote trout ponds (rent a canoe on the cheap) early AM and PM. Drakes will start in latter part of your trip. My bride still loves me paddling her around as i fish...
HTH

Should be some big golden stones up there that time of year - size 8-10 stimulators will do as a dry for a dry dropper rig with a bh ptn or prince nymph on the dropper in 16-18.

Great for fishing pocket water.

Bass are not a problem on the big rivers, it's the juvi salmon and brook trout that suffered on smaller streams like the lower magalloway.

Congrats on the wedding.

WOW thanks for all the info guys!!! Its definitely appreciated!!! My fiance and I are excited to go!!! We will definitely post up some pics afterwards hopefully with a few hogs in them!!! Thanks!!!!

Most of the fishing in my childhood was done at a warmwater lake in Maine, for perch, pickerel and smallmouth bass. Smallies were particularly prized.

But they aren't native to Maine, and they only really belong in warmwater lakes and streams. I think that the introduction of bass into places like the Rangeley Lakes region and the Magalloway is a tragedy. And those introductions are all very recent- within the last 20-30 years.

I don't recall the Penobscot being known as a smallmouth river, either. I think that was recent.

And now the quack "bucket biologists" have introduced northern pike into some Maine lakes, including the Sebago system, which holds one of the hallmark strains of landlocked salmon.

The phenomenon of amateur introductions of non-native species enrages me, at this point. By now, it should be obvious how easily it can get out of control.

I was just surfing weather.com, and these two items caught my eye

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/fishing/goldfish-lake-20130118

http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/hunting/python-hunt-florida-20130121

Back