Pennsylvania's Best Brook Trout Waters?

The sportsmens clubs talk to PFBC staff also, but they also talk to the Commissioners and their state legislators. They are representing their position in a much savvier way.

The Commissioners and legislators are not going to be impressed by "I read this research paper." What would impress them is large numbers of anglers who contact them because they are passionate about brook trout. That will not "flip" them, because they will still be hearing from the other side. But if they hear from both sides, that may give them a more balanced view.
"We" have organizations like TU. Non-fishing conservancy groups can add their collective voices to advocate for this as well as long as the argument centers on cleaner, more natural drainages (less "polluting" via stocking). I think the aggregate of these organizations should outweigh the sportsman groups. The key is getting these organizations all pulling in the same direction.

"We" have organizations like TU. Non-fishing conservancy groups can add their collective voices to advocate for this as well as long as the argument centers on cleaner, more natural drainages (less "polluting" via stocking). I think the aggregate of these organizations should outweigh the sportsman groups. The key is getting these organizations all pulling in the same direction.
If the general public is not aware and feels like something is being taken away from them for no good reason every single last registered 501(c)3 in the world won’t be able to spur large change when voters call their elected officials who happen to sit on house and senate fish and game committees and fired arway with stroke of a pen because he was going to withhold stocked fish from their districts. As someone who volunteers for one of those 501(c) 3’s quite a bit on this issue I couldn’t agree more that you have to have everyone rowing their Oars in the right direction, but if the general public is ignorant to this issue and no no one knows we are dying on this hill it won’t be effective. But maybe this is what you were getting at in the first place, if all these 501c3’s work together to reach out to the public while demanding change from PA fish and Boat then I think thats got chance aT succeeding. Can’t over state public needs to be aware, educated, and involved more so than now. Without them there is not much significant heat on these folks

Also we need to advocate for clean cold streams but also not get tunnel vision on it. Simply cleaning up streams without addressing what fish are in them or we stock in them is why we are losing native fish and amphibians in this state. There are numerous studies showing if invasive species are present stream projects are just making wild jnvasice trout hotels not restoring the aquatic ecosystem or creature Assemblage . Would anyone here have guessed invasive brown trout are the third most destructive disturbance in Pa to brook trout as ranked by EBTJV???

848C6F05 C268 46ED ABC2 20C12055CF8E

The streams and the message has to be clean or you just get THIS after all your hard work.

See THIS

PFBC staff recommended taking 63 Class B sections off the stocking list. The Commissioners, under pressure from the sportsmens clubs and state legislators, rejected it.

I've written about that on Paflyfish many times over the years.

What this shows of course is that the hangup is not PFBC staff (biologists/managers). The hangup is the Commissioners, who are heavily influenced by the sportsmens groups and the state legislators. The state legislators have control of the PFBC budget.

Looking at it from the Commissioners and the legislators perspective, they are going to represent the people they hear from. They hear from the sportsmens clubs, not very much from us.

The brookie and wild trout advocates have always talked to PFBC "staff." But not talked to the Commissioners and legislators very much, even though they are the deciders.

The sportsmens clubs talk to PFBC staff also, but they also talk to the Commissioners and their state legislators. They are representing their position in a much savvier way.

The Commissioners and legislators are not going to be impressed by "I read this research paper." What would impress them is large numbers of anglers who contact them because they are passionate about brook trout. That will not "flip" them, because they will still be hearing from the other side. But if they hear from both sides, that may give them a more balanced view.
I don't disagree with your assessment, but the issue I have is that some of the decisions shouldn't be based on human wants. I'm not advocating for brook trout simply because I want to catch more brook trout. Frankly, it is, and always will be, easier for me to drive to Maryland. There's no prospect within a shorter distance from my house in Pennsylvania than the Savage in Maryland.

So if the system is built to be influenced by people based on selfish wants, and the system supports that and maintains the status quo at the expense of native brook trout, then the system is broken. Or it was never designed properly in the first place.

The PGC is designed similarly, yet I don't see them managing everything based on what hunters want (necessarily). Our turkey season length and dates are dictated by the state turkey biologist, and despite the constant outcry by hunters to adjust the season to make it easier to harvest a gobbler in the spring, PGC doesn't do that. I happen to know the state turkey biologist, and I remember one time asking about something, and she said, "you're not going to be happy with me." I had to explain that I support the decisions of the scientists who know best, regardless of what that means to me as a hunter. So she's used to getting pushback on season and bag limits to the point she just assumes every hunter she meets hates her.

I've reached out to my commissioner. I don't think if I found 500 people who live in my district to bombard him with emails, phone calls, letters, or pounded on his door at 10 PM, he would ever change his position on stocking. He works at a co-op hatchery for fun and obviously loves to raise trout in his spare time. I've spoken to my representatives about this issue, and while they seemingly understand it, it's presented as some immovable object that will "never" change.

Regardless of whether a coalition of people could effectively lobby the right people, I think that's a terrible way to manage resources. This isn't about getting new benches installed at the local park or advocating for a new bike trail on an abandoned railroad right-of-way. These decisions need to be made by biologists and natural resource managers, not the loudest constituents in any given district.

Frankly, I think a big part of the issue is the commissioners personally like stocking and being involved in stocking and hatcheries. I get it, raising fish is probably fun. There's also the feeling of exclusivity by being involved in those activities when the plebs aren't allowed to. I just wish they'd buy an aquarium and some tropical fish and leave the wildlife management to the scientists.

Back