Pennsylvania Fish For Free Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to do a huge trip once or twice per year to cabela's. Other than that, part of taking a fishin' trip to a new location is hitting the local fly shop. It's just something I've always enjoyed. I usually end up grabbing local patterns, plus a leader or two, and maybe a spool of tippet or wheel of shot. In the end, I spend more at the local shops.

Last edited:
Hook_Jaw
I have a guide that ties all most all my stuff but i stop in the local shops to mingle with the locals and get little things i need.

Last edited:
Acristickid
It would be hard to beat free shipping and no tax on a more expensive item from a far off but well known fly shop or merchandiser. But I do feel that I would like to have a local fly shop for more everyday fly fishing needs or in the case of emergencies and a good old place to find out stuff. I support them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
tomgamber
All of the above...bought my 5wt last spring at Cabelas, bought my 8wt this summer at a fly shop, buy most of my tying materials from an online fly shop. Have picked up leaders in a pinch at Wally world. Got my Fish pond pack right here in the swap forum

Last edited:
L
Local shops are more in touch with what is happening on the nearby streams than the big stores. They are more informed about the products they sell also. Besides that, it's nice to walk in and ask questions or just to BS for awhile.

Last edited:
MKern
I get most of my tying materials from a local shop, but that's because I can root through and get what I want.
If they don't carry it and can't get it in I go to cabelas and buy it online.
I buy about half of my rod blanks from cabelas.
Waders are 50/50 (sometimes from a shop, sometimes from cabelas).
Line and accessories I get from local shops.

Last edited:
albatross
Honestly I buy most of my gear online. If I do visit a local shop for information I make it a point to purchase some local flies or something else I'm in need of.

Last edited:
PaulG
It's not local, I get most of my gear from Jonas at Feathered hook, somethings I get at FFP. They always take good care of me!

PaulG

Last edited:
E
I try to buy things at local shops but the prices are often too expensive for me so i end up buying at sportsmen warehouse or gander mountin

Last edited:
S
I stop at local shops if I happen to be near one. The closest shop to me is about 45 minutes away and has always been helpful, but can be expensive for major equipment purchases. I end up making most of my purchases through Cabelas - either an internet order or an occasional trip there with a large shopping list

Last edited:
MattBoyer
Cabela's is my local fly shop, although I usually buy my stuff at Bass Pro, which is 5 minutes further in the opposite direction. I try to support small shops, but I hate to get to a destination just to learn that they don't have what I need. For most multi-day fishing trips I have my gear ready about a week or two out, so showing up without tippet or anything else would drive me insane.

Boyer

Last edited:
gemiller
I get most of my fly gear at Cabelas, every now and then when I'm in the area Bass pro.

When I was at school the TCO shop was my home :) And I have also used the TCO shop near the Tulpehocken in reading.

Last edited:
T
As I read all the posts on the subject, I can't help but shake my head. I hear the complaints about higher prices at the local fly shop. I will have to disagree! Most Items that are compared are the same or lower in most local shops. Compare apples to apples and you will see what I mean. I do the comparison all the time and people think that just because they are "big box" they are cheaper. We for one have a price guarantee! So there is no way it will happen in our store.

Another reason to support the Pro-Shops is that they carry hard to find items, specialty items that the other big box will never carry. Do yourself a favor and support the guys who built the business, let the "johnny come lately's" go away quietly.
The grass root shops have done more for our sport than anyone else. You will have the advantage when supporting the indepents.
You will learn more, and fly fishing will be more rewarding!
They are a dedicated bunch.
Good Fishing and Fly Tying!

:)

Last edited:
skybay
I do like Cabelas and Bass Pro but I really encourage everybody to support local fish stores. On my way fishing I sometimes stop and say hallo or share the story with the owner and grab some lines … I really don’t need… but this small stimulating chat with the owner make my day when …there in not much rainbow in the whole….:)
I also do shop on eBay and such like shop.com and having a fun there!
You can punch the Orvis in the search field and you have 5000 item to look up!

Good idea is to go to local actions when the time allows and browse for something of the value or get in touch with the local bamboo or fly makers and make them happy purchasing something. I’m looking now for a good deal with old, fixed bamboo rod and I would like to do it probably from the local source.

Good FF shopping.
:)

Last edited:
D
The PFBC has designated Saturday, May 23, and Sunday, June 7, as Fish For Free Days in the Commonwealth. Fish For Free Days allow anyone not just license holders or youth under the age of 16 to legally fish in Pennsylvania. From 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on both days, no fishing license is needed to fish in Pennsylvania's waterways.

plombardo
does the leather dry and shrink. I had the old leather guides. you would have to wet them to get into them.

Last edited:
krayfish
I got mine before they offered the rubber soles and they are a serious boot. Very comfy and great support. Not a cheap boot but worth the investment.

plombardo,
They shrink up a little but I got mine a size big and wear a heavy wool sock over the wader bootie. Wetting them first never hurts.

Last edited:
B
ive looked at the simms boots and have simms waders but i went with korkers and this is my second year with them and i love them you can change soles and they have the boa lacing system witch is no laces.

Last edited:
DaveKile
A lot of good choices out there.

The leather did shrink up just a little, but like Krayfish said I got mine bigger and I use wool socks as well.

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout
I have had my Guide Boots for over three years. They are great. Very comfortable even after a long day of flyfishing. I will buy another when these wear out. You get what you pay for!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back