Penns

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

Anyone know the temp on penns? I have a friend who might be driving up from virginia but none of the gauges I use have temps just flow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure the temps, but I saw that the DNCR opened up the closed sections on Penns today, so must be getting better:

Per Facebook:

DCNR, Fish & Boat Commission Reopen Sections of Penns Creek in Bald Eagle State Forest
HARRISBURG, Pa. (Sept. 30) – Officials with the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) and Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) announced today that they have lifted the no-fishing restrictions that were placed on two sections of Penns Creek in Bald Eagle State Forest last month.
The restrictions were put in place on August 4 to protect wild trout beset by high water temperatures and low stream levels. The trout were congregating at the mouths of the Panther Run and Swift Run tributaries in Mifflin County, where the mountain streams were supplying needed oxygen and cooler water. Officials wanted to prevent additional stress by limiting angling stress.
“The cool nights have lowered water temperatures and the recent rain will help to improve stream flows,” said Jason Detar, Chief of the PFBC Division of Fisheries Management. “As a result, trout are now spreading out again throughout the creek. We’ll continue to monitor the sections but are confident that with fall weather approaching, the worst conditions have passed.”
More details and updates can be obtained by contacting the Bald Eagle State Forest District, 18865 Old Turnpike Road, Milmont. Tel.: 570-922-3344.
MEDIA CONTACTS:
DCNR - Terry Brady, 717-772-9101 or tbrady@pa.gov
PFBC – Eric Levis, 717-705-7806 or elevis@pa.gov

Thanks for the update DanL.

I can't say I have solid info on Penns' temps but I'd be very surprised if it's still too warm to fish.

I got 67 degrees on the Susquehanna River a couple days ago and 65 on another creek where I was bass fishing.

Anyway, hopefully someone (Hook Jaw?) who lives up there can provide a more specific answer.

Bruce at Penns Creek Angler in Weikert says the water is cold and good to fish. He says the creek is still very low but fishable. Look for the deeper holes. He is on facebood about dailey with a quick report.

USGS flow levels look much improved - 108cfs this morning, which is just slightly above the historic median, but much better than recent weeks.

I just got back from fishing Penns this weekend. Water is still a bit low, but it's off color from the rain and wicked cold. I had a solid day yesterday in the rain. Fish were moving and even hitting my Royal Wulff on top, in the rain, in muddy water.

Fished it yesterday. Water was very low. A little color to it but if last weekend's rain bumped up the flows I'd have hated to see it before the rain. Not much action. Not worth the trip right now IMO.

I don't understand how low water once it is cool and oxygenated can be a bad thing on a creek like Penns, or Little J, for that matter. It just narrows down the location of the trout and exposes the stream bottom to observation for when the water raises itself again... (On this last point, take lots of pictures for later reference).

There's some truth to that Jack. On bigger water, as long as temps are ok, low flows aren't as much of a detriment as they are on big water. In certain situations it can be better that way. For instance in hatch season where your out for evening hatches and spinner falls, I prefer low water. You can wade virtually anywhere, allowing you to get different angles on the fish. Fish rise better. etc.

But... Brown trout are light shy and if you have a sunny day, low flows will push the action to morning and evening, and make the midday pretty fruitless. A little color and flow helps with that.

Also, if there are no hatches making food available on it's own, higher flows tend to put more food in the drift.

Also, Penns has long slow pools and rapids. Those pools are pretty much still water in ultra low flows. Even if the fish are happy down there, it makes it tough to fish effectively. That can push you to nymph the rapids. Which is fine, except if there's other guys out, everyone's competing for the same spots.

JackM wrote:
I don't understand how low water once it is cool and oxygenated can be a bad thing on a creek like Penns, or Little J, for that matter. It just narrows down the location of the trout and exposes the stream bottom to observation for when the water raises itself again... (On this last point, take lots of pictures for later reference).

I've always enjoyed walking/fishing during low conditions on the little j, you can really get in there and see exactly what is going on, on the bottom of the stream. Not only does it help your fishing, but some of the rock formations are very cool to observe.

I fished Penns on Sunday 10/2 from Cherry Run up to an area about a mile below the Tunnel I call the swamp. We covered about 2.5 miles of stream . Not a lot off water even after the rain.
Cherry Run was closed DNCR signs were still up .
We fished nympths in the fast water and pulled a few fish out in the morning . As the day went on we threw streamers in the pools and caught lots of bass . Water was not moving so it was thought to fish the long slow pools but we managed 3 on top using a caddis.

The only good thing about the creek being so low was I could really see the structure of the runs and pools. I took lots of pictures to reference when she is flowing in the spring. I am excited to fish my favorite run this spring after see the structure of it in this low water.

The temps were good it was low 60's

pcray1231 wrote:
There's some truth to that Jack.

Don't be shy, there is a LOT of truth to that.

JackM wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:
There's some truth to that Jack.

Don't be shy, there is a LOT of truth to that.

Completely agree with Jack here ( for once)
If you like to fish dries, then - as pcray already pointed out - the fish are usually more apt to rise in lower water.
You can also reach fish that you normally can't - and it's easier to wade around
I've never understand all of the clamor on here for more rain, to raise the water levels.
I'll take skinny water over high flows any day - providing the water temps are good, of course.

I'll take lower water on bigger streams like penns,pine,etc. As long as the temperatures are fine. However, I've been fishing on BFC and the low flows make that hard stream that much more difficult.

Are the fish spreading back out now or are they still bunched up?

As a follow up to 1hook's question is anyone aware of a big population hit?

I ended up going with my buddy, got a last minute pass from management(and shes taking the kids to the inlaws this weekend!). Anyway, we decided to go hit the little J, I had never fished it before. I was very impressed,bnice lookikg browns. I landed alot of fish but nothing much over 14, my friend landed his biggest brown to date, just shy of 18. I know we barely fished any of the stream and I am excited to make another voyage up from VA. This weekend I have 3 or 4 days of freedom to fish western md, can't wait!

You catching them on nymphs on the Little J Ryansheehan?

PocketWater wrote:

Not sure what he used, but I've been doing very well with nymphs, and soft hackles on the j.

PocketWater wrote:

Yup, all nymphing, lots of midging.

Back