Penns in the Rain

Beweav

Beweav

Thanks to the recommendations from an earlier post, my friends and I took a trip to Penns to explore what it has to offer. We hit the water around 8am and fished till dark. It rained the entire time, and the temps were low enough to make for fingers struggle to tie knots. We went into it knowing the weather was going to be rough so we made the most of it. We had a fantastic time. Penns really lived up to the hype. The area is beautiful. The stream was incredible. We caught the biggest trout of our short careers and ate some delicious steaks. We really couldn't ask for much more.
We had limited success in the morning, maybe two small browns, a bunch of tiny fallfish, and I caught some type of sucker with bumps on his nose and a rosy colored belly. I wish I would have taken a picture of it so I could identify it. My first brown was caught on a small winged Adams wet fly which was a first for me. I fish wet flies quite a bit yesterday and really enjoyed the aggressive takes.
We got cold and it started to rain a little heavier around 11am so we stopped to drink some hot coffee and decided to go make a fire and cook some lunch. We cooked some jalapeño poppers wrapped in bacon in a cast iron skillet over the fire along with potato. When they were ready we threw some Delmonicos on the fire and feasted.
After getting full of food and warmed up, we headed back out for the afternoon. Most of our fish were caught between 2 and 6pm. I caught a couple in the 7 to 13in range and was loving it.
IMG 8677

Than I was almost surprised out of my waders. I was fishing a tiny black wooly bugger through really a nice deep whole against a bank. I was basically dead drifting it except I was fishing across multiple currents so it was dragging and swinging a little. I was watching the tip of my fly line, waiting for a hit, when I saw a giant orange belly roll on right around the area I thought my fly was. I set the hook and felt like a hooked into a log. I saw and felt the size of him and almost ruined my waders. I yelled to my buddy to bring a net and watched as they stumbled toward me through the treacherous Penns terrain. I could hardly move him but he didn't run downstream thankfully. We got him to the net and you can see the exhilaration on my face! I know this may be normal for some of you but this is the fish of a lifetime for me. I was pumped.

IMG 2811

IMG 2815

I got two more 14" plus browns, both really pretty. One of them wacked my bugger so hard he hit and jumped out of the water before I even set the hook.

IMG 8682

Around this time my friend broke his fly rod and he decided to spin fish the rest of the day. He is a bass guy anyway so he was pretty happy about it. He proceeds to land three fantastic big browns one on a rooster tail and then after breaking that off on a snag, I gave him a heavy, bright yellow streamer, which he caught the next two on.

IMG 2824

IMG 2843

IMG 2840

I finished up the day with a little action on a tiny white dry fly. So by the end of the day. I caught fish on a wet fly, nymphs, steamers and dry flies. All in all we came off the water with a pile of memories and with our fill of beautiful fish. We will definitely be back! A special thanks to @discomidge for all the help he offered to get us ready for the day.

Last edited:
@Beweav sounds like an awesome day! Looks like you guys made the most of it.😊

Gorgeous brown trout! You guys had a really great day you'll never forget. Congrats!

What was your rod of choice for this outing?

Last edited:
I’m still on a big ooofer on Penns. Some day.

Gorgeous brown trout! You guys had a really great day you'll never forget. Congrats!

What was your rod of choice for this outing?
That’s exactly what we said on the way home. Great memories.
It’s honestly the only rod I use. It’s a Risen 23PS in 9’ 5wt. I love it but I haven’t used many other rods so I don’t have a lot to compare it to.
Good day!

Tell us about that hat.
Ha! Not much to tell! It is a straw sun hat from Ross. I just wore it because I thought the brim would protect agains the wind and rain. It worked well although a waterproof version would obviously be much better.

Very nice! Congrats……also a good write up with nice pics! But that hat…😳😳
Penns treated you well for your first trip.

Nice stuff, I’ve been hurting for a good day on Penn’s all fall so far. Rainy Penn’s seems to pay dividends.

I actually like the hat a lot 🤠

I Should Have Gone. The name of one of my favorite Dana Lamb stories!

Good for you. I’m sure I got skunked my first trip to Penns. She changes one day to the next.

Sounds like you guys had a pretty good day on Penns. I have found that fishing for trout in conditions like the one you fished in are ideal. That overcast and the addition of rain got the fish up and movin' and ready to feed! That big brown you hit is bigger than any trout I have caught discounting PA steelhead, which are actually just big rainbows. The browns I have caught close to that size were stocked fish taken from SEPA streams I am too ashamed to even mention. That fish is gorgeous and the wild browns in there are exceptionally pretty, often having very prominent spots. Great catch. Can't say I ever took a trout on dries, wets, streamers, and nymphs in the same day. I've had days where I've gotten them on dries and nymphs. To be fair I don't fish wets, dries, and streamers that often anyways. I suppose if I wanted to pull off what you did I'd hit a native brookie stream but that'd be too easy too pull off there haha. The fact that you pulled that off on a highly-pressured and highly technical wild trout stream is impressive and goes to show that your decision to change tactics really paid off.

I did Penns last Monday and took a lone fallfish on a midge. My buddy took three browns, the largest of which was about 10 inches. That was not a good day to go as it was sunny AND pretty windy.

Very nice! Beautiful fish … thanks for sharing your outing with us.

Indeed, Penns can be very moody. When it’s on … it’s on. When it’s not … it’s not. At times it can turn on and off almost like a light switch. Congrats to you for a very memorable Fall outing on Penns!

Nice!

where were you fishing? There is a spot close to me that has a nice hole where guys have good luck with bass.

that rain was absolutely miserable.

Can't say I ever took a trout on dries, wets, streamers, and nymphs in the same day. I've had days where I've gotten them on dries and nymphs. To be fair I don't fish wets, dries, and streamers that often anyways. I suppose if I wanted to pull off what you did I'd hit a native brookie stream but that'd be too easy too pull off there haha. The fact that you pulled that off on a highly-pressured and highly technical wild trout stream is impressive and goes to show that your decision to change tactics really paid off.
Yeah, I was thinking about this and I can’t decide if it would have been better to just be more consistent and fish one thing for a longer amount of time? But this was for sure more my style. I enjoy switching things up. It keeps it interesting for me. And yeah I agree that Penns creek browns are some of the best looking wild browns I’ve seen!
Nice!

where were you fishing? There is a spot close to me that has a nice hole where guys have good luck with bass.

that rain was absolutely miserable.
We fished the section around the campground mostly.
Bass in Penns? Interesting, I didn’t know they had bass in there!

Back