Penns/Fishing/Spring Lodging

Stimey

Stimey

My weekend obligations went away so thinking of hitting up the Central PA streams for the long weekend (along with everyone else). Any recommendations for lodging in the area. I'm sure the feathered hook is booked up but I will try calling them.....

I usually stay at the Brown's Hill Motel/Tavern in Lamar, but called and they said "they are a family business so they are closed on Sunday and Monday for the holiday" which I found strange, as I would think holidays would be an important piece of a motels business, but to each their own and I guess good for them.

Thanks for any help, I know it's last minute and I have a feeling I may end up sleeping in the subaru

When I'm fishing up there, I often use the Best Western in Lock Haven as my base camp. There are many streams in the area to choose from. Obviously, call first.

I'll point out the obvious. Our jam is held at 7 mountains campground. While you can camp there, "campground" could be considered a bit of a misnomer. There are lots of very comfortable cabins, ranging from primitive (bunkbeds and small fridge, but otherwise use campground facilities) to what pretty much amounts to small houses. Centrally located between Spring, LJR, and Penns. Poe Paddy is about 20-25 minutes via dirt road, Coburn is considerably further.

State College has plenty of lodging options.

I stayed once in the Millheim Hotel, and wouldn't do so again.

Thanks.... didn't realize the campground had cabins

pcray1231 wrote:
I'll point out the obvious. Our jam is held at 7 mountains campground. While you can camp there, "campground" could be considered a bit of a misnomer. There are lots of very comfortable cabins, ranging from primitive (bunkbeds and small fridge, but otherwise use campground facilities) to what pretty much amounts to small houses. Centrally located between Spring, LJR, and Penns. Poe Paddy is about 20-25 minutes via dirt road, Coburn is considerably further.

State College has plenty of lodging options.

I stayed once in the Millheim Hotel, and wouldn't do so again.

Im intrigued! Hows the millheim hotel??!!

Well, it may be better now, it was being renovated. There was one bathroom for all the rooms combined, and it didn't have much of an, umm, floor or ceiling. Plus the shower stall was glass, and there was no lock on the door, so you could easily get a surprise!

The door leading to the balcony had a sign which said "enter at your own risk". And that's no joke.

The rooms themselves weren't terrible. I mean, they were creaky, the beds weren't comfortable, the TV was like a 7" tube, but at least they were clean.

It does have one huge advantage going for it, which is why we were there. It's easy walking distance to the Elk Creek Café!!!!

It was funny enough that I took a picture!

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 5
pcray's wifey comment: We also asked them for a battery for the smoke detector, which we never did get. When I called to make the reservation they kind of warned me about the type of establishment it was...I was expecting something similar to the Medix Hotel, but it was actually quite worse. Definitely a ONCE in a lifetime experience.

You should have been there the night I stopped in for a beer and a bite. It would have been my last time in there but NickR begged me to go back.

Sounds like the perfect set up for a scary movie. Couple FF Penns bad thunderstorm rolls in they unexpectedly need somewhere to stay and... :-o

The Millheim hotel does have good hot wings though, if you are looking for beer and food after a day on the river.

Yeah, the downstairs restaurant/bar wasn't too bad. Didn't compare to Elk Creek, but still, it wasn't bad.

That Triple Creek Lodge looks pretty cool, but a little pricey for this trip

I used to stay at Centre Mills Bed & Breakfast when I was fishing in that area. It's located just outside of Milheim and has private access to Elk Creek. It's convenient to Fishing Creek, White Deer Creek and Penns Creek. Spring Creek is doable, but definitely more of a drive. When I first started going there the rates were something like $50 a night. It's a lot more expensive now, but it is a nice place that seemed to cater to fly fishermen.

Tom

Back