Penn's Fall Foliage

raftman

raftman

I woke up at 4:30 yesterday morning and headed up to Penn's from my place in Lancaster. I was stuck in thick fog for most of the drive up until I gained some elevation around Lewistown. The yellows, reds, light greens, and browns of fall reached out through the fog once I got up into the Kishacoquillas Valley. They were relentless and beautiful.

IMG_0323-01_zpscxfze6vs.jpeg

It was cold when I got up to Poe Paddy, right around 38 degrees. I put some miles on my waders and found a nice secluded section of Penn's. I spooked up some doe when I got to my spot, but one stayed on and followed close behind me (15 yards) and ended up standing and watching me fish for a good 20 minutes. Her fur was darkening, mottled, becoming the same color as the dried tall grass enclosing the riverbanks.

12079829_10156233815005195_2758703818707407410_o_zpsaid7k9ca.jpg

I had a great section of riffles and pools to myself all morning and was blessed with some nice fish and beautiful fall foliage. Every time I come up to this area, I fall in love with it a bit more.

IMG_0315-01-2_zpsugecfxb3.jpeg

Fall has to be my favorite time of year to be outside. Everything is trying to get its last bit of life out of world before things go dormant and frozen hard. Trout seem more aggressive and leaves want one last look before they fall. The days start cold and end warm - perfect beanie weather. The browns were hitting the nymphs pretty consistently when they were swung close to the bottom.

IMG_20151011_191035_zpsyhlnnqkp.jpg

After fishing all morning and into early afternoon, once my yellow stimulator stopped drawing attention, I hiked back to my car the entire time singing that Dylan line "I was walking through the leaves, falling from the trees..." from that masterpiece "Mississippi". I had to pause one last time to take in the whole valley and its wide range of color this time of year. I was easily reminded why I love Pennsylvania, especially in the month of October.

20151011_121522-03_zpsaujcdwvo.jpeg

Great photos, great report, great area to be in. But your killing me... I want to be there !!!

I'm camping at poe daddy next sunday night. First time FFing this area...finally! picked poe daddy over slammin salmon pulaski.

Plan to camp as close to stream as possible at one of those poe daddy near the stream sites. Plan to fish second half of sunday and first half of monday then archery hunting near blakeslee the evening on way home. Will be bringing tent, sleep bag, food, beer, all FF gear.

Any other recommendations?

Alcohol may be prohibited in state parks.

Nice pics raftman. I recognize those spots in your photos. trying to fit in a day trip before the leaves start to fall.

Thanks McSneek. Let me know if you want someone to tag along. I'm also from Lancaster and hope to get up once more before the leaves fall.

Back