Penns Creek

zephyr

zephyr

Hey guys, after a long winter I am making my first trip of the year to go try out a new water. Im heading up towards the state college area to try out Penns Creek. I have fished Spring Creek as well as Fishing Creek many times but have never stopped off at Penns. So I plan on going this sunday. I have never fished this water before and do not know much about it. Anyone have any info on the stream and best places to access the area?
Thanks in advance,
Tight Lines!

There are many threads on Penns in our forums. Use the Advanced Search to read these. Also, the Where to Fly Fish link on the upper right side of this page can provide directions etc.

My guess would be that Penns is at a nice level for this time of year. I like to drift stonefly nymphs in the runs and riffles on Penns. If it rains significantly tomorrow or Sat, Penns can get muddy easily.

I fished Penn's on Thursday afternoon/evening and it was really tough. Today I netted half a dozen in about two hours. I heard yesterday was good as well but we were on Spring which was fantastic. Golden stones were the ticket today. I'd have some sucker spawn in your box as well.

Stop at one of the local fly shops if you don't want to search the forums. I'm sure they will give some advice. Penns Creek Angler is open again in Weikert, and Feathered Hook in Coburn and of course Flyfisher's Paradise if you're going through State College.

As for where to fish, for one, note that significant sections of the stream are ATW's and off limits to fishing till opening day.

That said, the special reg areas are open, and they are the best sections of stream anyway.

Trophy Trout Section - From confluence with Elk/Pine in Coburn downstream to the wire downstream from Swift Run. The access areas are Tunnel Road that follows the stream downstream from Coburn and then dead ends. You can fish along it or walk down from there. Or at Poe Paddy State Park, where you can walk down or up or through the tunnel. If you go through the tunnel and down, you hit the wire in a few hundred yards. A nice full day is to go through the tunnel and up, about a mile of water and you'll come right back to the car. But you'll have to cross a few times so if it's high that could be out.

ALO C&R stretch - from the wire down from Swift Run downstream to the mouth of Cherry Run. Access points are from the top at Poe Paddy State Park (through the tunnel and down), or from the bottom at Cherry Run (and walk up). A nice hiking/driving/biking path follows the stream along the north side. This is my favorite stretch, I think. 2-3 miles of roadless big water in a gorge. Big long pools separated by pocket water riffles, and splits into islands in several places where a "smaller stream" experience can be had.

Note the driving time from Coburn, Poe Paddy, and Cherry Run access points are very far apart by car. The geography of the area means you have to go WAY around to get to the others. If you're at Poe Paddy and want to go to Cherry Run, it's a 2-3 mile hike OR an hour by car, lol. I've always been partial to the Poe Paddy access point because it opens your options up. You can go up, down, or through the tunnel and up or down (going through that tunnel lands you well over a mile downstream of where you just were). It's also the heart of the gorge and just beautiful.

But frankly, the decision is made for most by where they're coming from. If from the north (Lock Haven, Jersey Shore, etc.), Coburn is by far the closest, and it's a hike to go anywhere else. If from the south or west (Milroy, Reedsville, 322 corridor, etc.), Poe Paddy is closest. If from the East (Mifflinburg, Sunbury, etc.), then Cherry Run is by far the closest access. From State College, Coburn and Poe Paddy are about equal in time, but Poe Paddy is a lot of dirt roads.

Compared to the streams you mentioned, Penns is bigger and has a lot more bugs (though Fishing Creek is no slouch, of course). Bigger fish. But it's more temperamental. Meaning, the fish don't feed as constantly, and if they aren't on the feed fishing can be very difficult indeed. Hit it right and it can be fantastic. It comes across as more "technical" for that reason, you have to meet the fish on their terms to be successful. It's my favorite of those 3, but its 3rd for sure in average catch rate. I just like the size and setting and like a challenge. It always seems to throw something unexpected at you.

Also, in terms of flow and color, Penns is among the first to come up and muddy up, and the last to clear. Flows through a lot of valley farmland before it gets into that gorge. When planning a trip well in advance, a plan B is required.

Hey Guys, Just giving an update on my fishing trip yesterday to Penns. I got to Penns a little after sunrise around 730am. I started i believe at the special regs where the private land is owned by the state. My buddy and i were the only people on the stream probably because it was easter. But we were not complaining. Water level was really low and water was still chill around 48 degrees. Things didn't begin to pick up until the after noon. Lots of BWO were going off and every once in a while you would see a riser. However, the fish did not want my size 22bwo. Seem as if most of the activity was subsurface with some sort of emerger. I tried a few different emerger patterns but no luck. I was also using stone fly nymphs and bwo nymphs. To no avail still no fish. I usually carry to rods with me when i fish so if you see someone with two rods it could be me. I carry two rods for either streamer fishing or dry flying depending on the time of year. I was using my second rod for streamer fishing. Caught a nice 14incher on a streamer. My buddy I was with also caught a nice 16in brown on a streamer. Those were the only 2 fish to be had for the day. This was my first time trying out penns and the water was so nice, I can't wait to get back and try again when their might be a hatch or a little warmer conditions. However, i was on the water and got a tug on my line. Thats all i needed for the day!

I fished below Swift Run from about 10:30 to 12. I too was the only one on that section of water. The action was not what it was Sat. I picked up two fish. One took a golden stone and one a size 20 BWO emerger. I also hooked a very nice fish on the emerger. I was in fast water and just couldn't get him where I wanted him. He got into some rocks and shook the hook. It would have been my best Penns brown by far. It's still eating at me.

I haven't fished Fishing Creek yet but I'll certainly second what pcray said about catch rates on Spring vs Penns. If I can do three fish per hour on Penns I feel I've had a very good outing. That is the low end of what I expect on Spring.

So i had a question about Penns. I was up there 2 weekends ago and i was planing on making another trip up there depending on the conditions. However, last time i was up there I fished below Coburn right next to a walking bridge that was posted private game lands. I walked down about two miles fishing the stream until i reach a house or 2 on the hill of the stream. By that point it was the end of the day and I began to head back. My question is, that I have heard about a tunnel you can fish at on Penns. Anyone help me out in location to where i need to be at or where it is on Penns?
Thanks in advance!

zephyr wrote:
My question is, that I have heard about a tunnel you can fish at on Penns. Anyone help me out in location to where i need to be at or where it is on Penns?
Thanks in advance!

Probably the tunnel at Poe Paddy. Find your way to Poe Paddy. You have plenty of water upstream and downstream from there that you don't need to be concerned about access to. The tunnel is upstream from Poe Paddy State Park. You drive through the park camp ground and will find signs for the trail and tunnel. There is parking near it. If you cross the foot bridge and go through the tunnel you'll be at the upper end of the C&R water. You can find a map of this area online I'm sure.

Ok, so the group of houses you got to is referred to as Ingleby, which is about halfway between Coburn and Poe Paddy.

The tunnel you are talking about is probably the one at Poe Paddy State Park, which is well downstream of you. From the Poe Paddy access, you can go upstream towards Ingleby (where you ended up), downstream past the state park and campground, or through the tunnel which cuts off close to a mile of water. Trying to create and upload a map for ya.

Since you said your going "up" to that area, I'm assuming your accessing it from the south via 322. Note that Poe Paddy is actually significantly closer than is Coburn. At the top of 7 mountains on 322, make a right on to Sand Mountain Rd. Note, it's 25-30 minutes of mostly dirt roads from there, vs. 45 minutes on paved roads to get to Coburn.

Attachments

• Penns Map.jpg
    Penns Map.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 41
Seven mountains to coburn should be well under 30 minutes. Coming from the southeast, using the the Reedsville exit is probably the fastest way to get on the water as it will be approximately 30 minutes from that exit, half of which is stone roads.

Actually, coming from the SE (Lancaster Co.in my case), 11/15-Middleburg-Mifflinburg-Laurelton-Weiket is probably the fastest route and avoids most stone roads. It will only be a couple minutes faster. It really depends which section you want to fish.

Hey guys Thanks, Yea I am coming from chester county and take 322 up there. I've stayed at the Poe Paddy State park one time last year to fish spring. But now i know i was fishing far upstream from the tunnel. Thanks Guys I really appreciate it. Hoping for some big browns this weekend!

Stayed at Poe Paddy to fish Spring? Wow, ha. I've always complained that the one drawback to Poe Paddy is that by the time you're in there, you're kind of pot committed to fish that region of Penns. I love the CG and that whole area, but if you stay there, your trip is Penns and its immediate tribs, not so easy to bounce over to Spring or BFC or the J or any of the other streams in that area. And even for a day trip, once in there, there you'll be for that day.

Anyway, I'm sure you noticed that Penns flows right past the Poe Paddy CG.

The road that goes right through the Poe Paddy CG paralleling Penns. Continue out that road, past the CG, for, oh, I dunno, half mile or so and you come to a little village of nice permanent cabins, and the road is gated there.

If you park and walk past the gate, that's upstream. The path follows the stream for a bit then crosses at the bottom of the old bridge hole (there is no bridge now). The path picks up on the other side, and you can follow that on up to Ingleby, which is where you quit before.

On the other hand, at that group of camps, just after the very first one, there's a path that kinda angles back, downstream. Usually a few cars parked there also. If you take that path, it very quickly comes to a walking bridge and goes through the tunnel. On the other end of the tunnel, the stream flows the other way, from right to left. You're really over a mile downstream of where you just were!

After emerging from the tunnel, hanging a left takes you downstream. A couple of miles of water before you get to Cherry Run. The ALO stretch begins at a wire over the first riffle downstream from the tunnel.

Hanging a right takes you upstream around the big horseshoe, eventually bringing you back by Poe Paddy Campground and back to the car.

There's often a lot of vehicles parked there. Just keep in mind that from those vehicles you can go up, down, or through the tunnel and up, or down. Each is a large, distinct length of water, so that access point really covers a whole lot of fishing real estate and the anglers will be well spread out over it.

pcray Thanks for the info. Yea i camped out at Poe Paddy Last year. This is when i first began traveling far to fish. At that time I had only heard of penns creek and did not know anything about the system. I know it probably sounds funny that i camped their to go fish spring. But i fished spring one day and camped out and the next morning packed everything up and hit Big fishing creek. My goal this year is to fish as many new streams as I can.

Like I said earlier I fished Penns two weeks ago and kinda fell in love with the stream. No one was there and the water was low. But from what ive heard those conditions were unusual for this time of the year because of the lack of rain fall and it was Easter so makes sense that not many people where out there. I just want to fish and explore as much of the stream as I can before I start fishing some other places. Not many good wild fishing streams in my next of the woods in chester county. After i go to penns this weekend. Im going to make a trip the following weekend to fish the WB of the Delaware.

Thanks for the great info, I am going to put it to good use this weekend.

I live in Chester County too, though I did live in State College for 4 years in a prior life (and Potter County for 1 year).

Penns can be a frustrating stream. But it is an easy one to fall in love with. Just the atmosphere of the whole place. Big water, remote, mountainous, wildlife all over the place, big fish, hatches, moods to interpret and puzzles to solve.

But if you're looking for a confidence booster in terms of catching larger numbers of fish, well, it's not that.

Before you commit to a weekend at Penns Cr., its a good idea to check the weather forecast and the USGS gauge located at the town of Penns Creek. If it rains hard, Penns will turn muddy very quickly. I find that the river fishes best below 400 CFS on the Penns Creek gauge. Above 400 CFS its difficult to get around on the stream. I won't try to wade across unless it's below 300 CFS. I'm too old to risk a drowning.

^ good tip & PM sent

USGS Flow Gauge at Penn"s Creek

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=01555000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

Back